F-105D Thunderchief 58-1155 (D-10) 1/72 - last build update 11/07/18

Martin, I don't know if I'd use a brush. The way the masks adhere may allow some paint to bleed under, sounds strange but I had better results with the airbrush.

This unless you use the brush with very little paint on, almost like drybrushing, this way you could get a good result

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio. I agree. Having thought it through you are absolutely right. I've just printed and varnished the decals (U.S. AIR FORCE, Serial, Buzz and USAF). I'll be getting on with masking over the weekend once the u/c doors are cured enough. :) She is starting to look good, I think :)

Martin

• Like 2

Hi all,

A little more done, yesterday and at lunch today. The tasks were to finish masking the serial, Buzz number, U.S. AIR FORCE, USAF and star-and-bar backgrounds ready for airbrushing. Then apply Humbrol 27002 Poloshed Aluminium metalcote to these areas and then to mask and airbrush the canopy framing seals. For this I went for Humbrol 71. My guess. Maybe right, maybe wrong. Then she needed an overall coat of gloss, for which Humbrol Glosscote was waiting in the paint box. So, I got on with it and here is how she is now:

Thudbuild61

Thudbuild62

You can see that I have also drawn out the D-10 codes and small serials that are needed for the wing pylons. These are printed on simple clear sheet (from the well known auction site) and then sealed with Glosscote.

The eagle-eyed amongst may notice that I've had a small issue with the starboard wing tip. During the airbrushing I must have swiped it with my hand or something and taken off a little of the red. I'll have to address that later. I also had an issue, noticed after I'd applied the Glosscote to most of the model, in which the masking material has removed a very light layer around the starboard top wing "USAF". It only shows in some light angles so hopefully I can get rid of it with weathering, etc...... 

She clearly now needs to rest and cure and then it will be decaling before a further Glosscote ready for weathering. Decalling will be slow as I need to get the lining on first, then the serials etc and then stencilling, break lines, and other bits and pieces. To be honest she doesn't need a lot but I will try to accentuate panel lines a little as well as giving the NMF a used look. I will then need to get on with finishing the tanks/pylons, outer wing stores, undercarriage and doors, wheel wells and the pitot. Right now I'm excited about finishing the overall look of her :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

Just adding an underside view to show that I temp fitted the u/c doors for masking and will leave them in place until the decals are on and dried.

Thudbuild63

Martin

Added note: the red really isn't so orange. It is like the shots above.

Edited by RidgeRunner
Added note
  • Like 4

The recent Sword news has helped me decide to complete a Kartveli collection. I have the three Thuds, a Jug in build, F-84F built already, two RF-84Fs on order once released, and a Tamiya F-84G. For the latter five I have decal sets ready to go! :). I'm just going to pray each night for a Sword F-84F too ;).

Martin

Brilliant stuff Martin. She really is coming along beautifully.

I share your liking for those Republic aircraft designs he created and I too am eagerly awaiting the Sword RF-84! So you are praying for a Sword  F-84F as well I see, that would be a real bonus!

Terry

Thanks Terry. These were my feeble attempts when I returned to the hobby four years or so back....

26926crop

37682crop

I am going to build these two again with a bit more knowledge ;)

Martin

• Like 6

They both look great Martin. Assume the F-84F is Airfix, and the RF Italeri? Love the greek schemes. Also like the German, Dutch, Belgian, French, Turkish, Italian, Taiwanese, Danish, Norwegian ......... oh and yes, American!

Terry

Thanks Terry, but I know they were just early attempts. Finding my feet again. I guess there are only some many you can do before the shelves are full! For me it is always Greek, Turkish, Norwegian, Danish, Italian, in that order.... Great aircraft!

Martin

Very nice work Martin! It's a colorful bird! :)

The other two looks great!

Håkan

Looking for opinion - my intention is to give her an overall gloss varnish final coat with just matt for the anti-glare. What is the consensus, please?

@Giorgio N

@Wez

@72modeler

@71chally

@Terry1954

@billn53

@Azgaron

@Smudge

@Jackman

thanks,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

I can’t tell from your first photo how shiny the actual aircraft was. Barring any other info, I would go with your plan. If she turns out looking too glossy, you could always tone it down with a coat of semi-gloss. 

Thanks Bill. I reckon the NMF areas would be gloss (natural polished aluminium) as she was pre Operation Lookalike. It is the red and yellow areas that I’m less certain about. In the end, because of the lack of images, she will be finished with a degree of “Modeller’s licence” anyway ;). 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin,

Did you have the photograph that is included in the link I have attached below? Looks to be taken at a different time than the photo that headed up your WIP. Note the natural metal rudder and that the orange areas do not appear to have the black outlines.  To this tired old Mk 1a eyeball, it looks like she has natural metal, not silver painted areas. Your asking me for my opinion is pretty risky, but I am flattered that you wanted to know what this total stranger thinks. I would hazard a guess that the painted areas would have more sheen to them than the bare metal areas, but how would you mask the model after the decals were applied to shoot the antiglare and metal areas with clear matte without damaging the decals? Looks pretty darned good to me as it sits, and you have done an incredible job with all the intricate masking, with Giorgio's help. It's going to be a jaw-dropper, no matter what you do from here! A real shame the Armament Museum didn't finish her in this scheme, as there are plenty of SEA-finished Thuds preserved around the country! (Scroll down to see a color photo of 58-1155 and another build of this Thud on BM) As Larry the Cable Guy says: "Git 'er done!"

Mike

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=654&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=8hM-W_GFFcuUtQXK5JjACQ&q=F-105+58-1155+test+scheme&oq=F-105+58-1155+test+scheme&gs_l=img.12...55119.57810.0.59826.12.12.0.0.0.0.532.1354.10j1j5-1.12.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.TsELYX4nxFQ#imgrc=OKPE0mEuzepRtM:&spf=1530795072440

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike! 

Yes, thank you, I have that image plus a few B&W images of 81155. Additionally I have acquired a further colour image, probably taken at the same time as the other. You are correct, she was NMF - bare metal. My take on the red and yellow is that they were gloss and that is how I plan to finish them unless there is anything contrary out there! I’m hoping it is the former because, as you say, masking would be a challenge. I might apply a little wear to the dayglo - not much as she seemed to be kept pretty clean and tidy. I have very itchy fingers now, ready to get decalling! ;).

all my best to all,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Looking for opinion - my intention is to give her an overall gloss varnish final coat with just matt for the anti-glare. What is the consensus, please?

Hi Martin,

Sorry, travelling at moment so on and off here. I would say maybe overall satin tending to gloss would look good. On gloss finishes I tend to start high gloss and come back a bit with subsequent coats. Keep the anti glare Matt of course. Just a view, I'm sure your final decision will look the biz!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Hi Martin,

My take on the NMF in the photos of the real aircraft is that the finish is quite dull, this contrasts with the coloured trim which is quite glossy, I think I'd refrain from making it too glossy but then, what do I know?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Martin,

That really is looking very nice. I always tend to steer clear of overly glossy finishes. Even if I use a gloss paint, a coat of matt or satin varnish just to tone it down a bit always helps: that's my preference or 'artistic licence' anyway.

Maybe gloss it for the decals and then give it a satin or matt coat, to seal it all in and tie the colours in for a uniform finish?

Well, that's my two bob's worth. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it is going to be a stunner. Great work.

• Thanks 1

In general I don't coat NM finishes, unless I want to tone down the finish for a weathered appearance.

Dayglo areas are tricky... when new they are dayglo, so not mirror-like gloss of course, but quite reflective nonetheless. With time, and often with very little time, they get duller and generally it's better not have them too glossy. This even before considering that a very high gloss finish is never realistic on a model, even if the subject was painted in a highly reflective finish.

Another thing that IMHO is not realistic is to have excessive variations in finish on the same model, variations are necessary to differentiate the various areas but without excessive contrasts. All of this means that I would probably just apply a coat of semigloss paint, glossier than satin but not true gloss. Personally I always mix my own final coat in cases like these, adding more or less gloss and satin paints depending on the finish I want to achieve (I use Vallejo's).

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps. So, 'nuff said ..... On with decalling and painting..... See you again soon :). She will now enter the chrysalis stage and emerge after a period of diapause. ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

She will now enter the chrysalis stage and emerge after a period of diapause. ;)

Oh -- an entomologist you might be....

Edited by billn53