Airfix 1.48 Hawker Fury

TonyW

Thanks for the very informative replies guys.

The choice to build a Fury and a Hurricane for this GB was a pure coincidence. It looks like it's going to send me on a journey to add to the collection, a Mk1 Hurricane is a dead cert to join this pair with a Hart trainer conversion not far behind!

• Like 1

Moving a few boxes about in the loft, I found a 1.72 Matchbox Fury in 43 Sqn colours. I built it alongside a Siskin and Gladiator just before the Matchbox GB kicked off.:rage:

IMG_3891.jpg

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the position of the chequered wing markings!! I fitted them as the Matchbox box illustration showed, with the checks to the front of the wing. The Airfix instructions for the 1.48 Fury I'm building show the markings to the middle of the wing. Gulp. 

A quick internet search later, and it seems Matchbox got it wrong, or did they? Any interwar period students have a different view?

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

Photos such as those in Alex Crawford's books show the wing checkerboards either as you've shown it with the Airfix decals or where the rear of the checkerboard almost lines up with the rear of the roundels (imagine flipping the Matchbox version around).

Lovely work so far. Makes me want to finish mine (I have K1930 in the Hall of Shame)!