modern German Tornado and Eurofighter loadout!

exdraken

Hi ,

found some interesting modern load outs for ASTA upgraded German Tornados !

GBU 54, GBU 38, GBU-24, Taurus, IRIS-T etc!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bundeswehrfoto/with/34332270671/

Übung Two OceansÜbung Two OceansÜbung Two Oceans

up until now I only rarely saw photos of dumb Matra 250kg bombs, ef if ever! (or Harms for the ECR and some very old Komoran for the Marineflieger)

so maybe it is of interest!

and while I am on it,

also the German Eurofighter!

Times are changing!

Erprobung in Schweden

these are GBU-48s? 1000lb I assume

cheers!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 7

Thanks a lot Werner.  :thumbsup:

Now I know what to put on my next Tornado. 

Taurus x 2 and IRIS-T looks very tempting.

I do wonder about the outer pods though.

Are they camera pods for a drop-ex of the Taurus, or are they the same ones the British use?

/Bosse

5 hours ago, Marlin said:

Thanks a lot Werner.  :thumbsup:

Now I know what to put on my next Tornado. 

Taurus x 2 and IRIS-T looks very tempting.

Are they camera pods for a drop-ex of the Taurus, or are they the same ones the British use?

/Bosse

The Taurus is not an operational round but a trials round. You can tell by the photo alignment markings on the sides. This is a trials fit on Tornado.

Selwyn

• Like 1

On 9.3.2018 at 12:09 PM, Marlin said:

/Bosse

those are definitely camera pods for the trial launch of the Taurus, as Selwyn already noted above!

also no tanks, but pylons  are carried... configuration for the last low level highspeed dash before weapons drop in permissive environment? or just caused by the better field of view without tanks?

You can load Kormoran & Harm missiles on Luftwaffe Recce Tornados (AG 51 Schleswig Jagel).  After the last naval figter squadron MFG 2 Eggebek was disbanded in 2005 anti ship role was handed over to the AG 51 until the end of the year 2012, all Kormoran missiles are out of service.

• Like 2

On 11.3.2018 at 12:36 AM, JayBee said:

You can load Kormoran & Harm missiles on Luftwaffe Recce Tornados (AG 51 Schleswig Jagel).  After the last naval figter squadron MFG 2 Eggebek was disbanded in 2005 anti ship role was handed over to the AG 51 until the end of the year 2012, all Kormoran missiles are out of service.

Yeah, but that was pre-Asta upgrade, no?

On 15.3.2018 at 12:00 AM, exdraken said:

Yeah, but that was pre-Asta upgrade, no?

I think it was Assta I upgrade that time for all IDS Tornados, including a internal GPS ( a small round disk close behind the cockpit) and a new weapons computer to carry Harm, Kormoran, Litening pod. AFAIK the cockpit design itself looks more or less the same after the first upgrade, compared to the actual Assta 3.1 cockpit.

Pictures was taken by me in 2005 at AG 51 Immelmann / Jagel airbase during a spottersday. Harm and Kormoran loadout.

110&version=1&user=3&context=2658137&seq

127&version=1&user=3&context=2658137&seq

• 1 month later...

On the whole ASSTA-thing:

There are actually three different upgrades under this name.

ASSTA1: based on the british GR4(A) standard, integration of a new computer system, LINS and GPS, new self protection jammer (TSPJ), new weapons: HARM III, HARM 0 Block IV/V, Kormoran II, Litening II, GBU-24A/B Paveway III

ASSTA2: upgrade of cockpit and defensive aids subsystem (TDASS), new weapons: HARM PNU and Taurus. First aircraft handed over in 2010

ASSTA3: integration of Link-16 and GBU-54 LJDAM. Started in late 2012 and the last aircraft should be handed over later this year.

The Tornado with the Taurus loadout has no tanks because they would prevent the cameras on the outer wing pylons to film the weapons release from the pylon.

The Tornado pictures were taken at Overberg range, South Africa, the Typhoons at Vidsel range, Sweden.

• Thanks 1