Moving out of the shadows

Spiny

Been lurking here for a while trying to pick up some tips, so figured it was probably a good time to say hello, so hello everyone.

Back when I was young, I built a few models. I say built, because that was pretty much it - decals added, parts glued together to something approximating the right shape, and paint on the main body only coming as I got older. Fast forward quarter of a century, and a trip to the Hornby museum on a sale day with some friends and their kids led to me buying a half-price kit, and that rekindled the interest. Although that kit was of planes, my main interest is in cars and that's what I moved back onto. It will almost certainly be the case that I'm going to be residing mainly in the vehicle section - already got a small backlog despite trying to ration my kit buying.

As for my kit building, my MO seems to be one of taking a long time to build a kit pretty much box stock (got three done in 2017 which was my first car building year) so I can't imagine that a build thread will give much interest; it seems that the main form of creativity I've had so far is to to decide which particular shade of monochrome to use. I guess that goes with my first thought on buying a model as an adult - "This time I'm going to do it properly". On the bright side though, I can see signs of improvement, in large part due to tips picked up from here along with a bit of practice.

So thanks for the help already received, even though indirectly, and hopefully you won't judge the skinned decals, dodgy windows etc. too harshly :smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiny said:

already got a small backlog despite trying to ration my kit buying.

Resistance is futile, just accept that your stash will grow faster than your pile of completed builds, no matter how hard you try :wink:

Welcome to Britmodeller. Any specific type of vehicle?

Thanks for the welcome both of you.

Unfortunately, despite my cunning plan to limit spending on kits to £100 per year I've already got a score of Kits Completed:3, Kits under Construction: 1, Kits in the stash: 8 - I think my cunning plan is turning out to be as successful as Baldrick's :whistle:

No specific type of vehicle, unless you count that they're all in 1/24 or 1/25 scale. Early builds give the impression on a bias towards American cars, but that was more down to me starting with some of the cheaper kits in case I messed up badly. In truth, it's more a case of piques my interests, hence the stash containing cars ranging from a Trabant to an XJ220. Only one competition car in there so far, but could well change. I'll put up the new threads in the RFI section at some stage in the next few days, but got to get Flickr sorted out first :)

Just now, Mike said:

:welcome: aboard - what is this "limit spending" of which you speak? :pardon:

It's a concept where you set yourself a rule of not spending more than a set amount... and then find as many ways as possible to get around it:lalala:

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum

I work on the assumption that if I see a model I want I get it if I can afford as most of the models I want are old issues

Seems to be especially relevant to cars, don't see many 20th century cars that are new releases