1/72 Canberra wheels

shatters

Is there an aftermarket set of correct size main wheels and front wheels with mud guards to suit the S&M Canberra B2 and  T4 ?

If not are the wheels from either airfix, matchbox or frog B(I)8 or PR9 kits suitable ?

Phil

What's wrong with the kit wheels?

Forget the Matchbox wheels, the Airfix ones were pretty good I seem to remember.  Both of these are for the later wheel type.

The first generation Canberras (ie B.2, PR.3, T.4) have different main wheels to the B(I).8 & PR.9 (and everything after the B.6 onwards).

The only after market sets I know of are CMK and MDA which both do the later style set.  The nose wheels were the same across the breed.

I've got a funny feeling (and John will correct me!) that it is impossible to get the B.2 style wheel in 72nd at all, either through kits or aftermarket!

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

As James says, (I'm saying that a lot these days :) ) The ones in the kit are the wrong pattern for a B.2 or derivative Canberra unless you are building an FAA B.62 or other export or non standard Canberra of which there are many! In the old days I used the main wheel from the Airfix B.57 which was nothing like a B.57 wheel but was slightly more like a B.2 wheel as it had a spoke type pattern. Aeroclub did a fantastic B.2 wheel which is like hens teeth now. The nose wheel and fod guard from the old Airfix B(I)6 is your best bet, the ones in the new kit's are more accurate in shape but are too chunky really. Again, as James says forget Matchbox and FROG. 

John     

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, shatters said:

Thanks for the answers guys, think I'll put it on the back burner and hope someone comes up with some aftermarket wheels ( are you listening freightdog Colin? )

Phil

Phil someone needs to, I guess they won't sell millions of them but if anyone wants to build a better B.2 they really need to use the correct wheels. I still really hope one of the mainstream manufacturers gets the hint and gives us what somany want, an accurate B.2!

John

• Like 3

I'm not sure that I would hold building the kit on the wheels, maybe upgrade the nose gear, which is available, and don't glue on the mainwheels in hope that they can be changed at a later date?

Like John I just wish that manufacturers would get the Canberra right.  

It's beyond me why no one does the B.2 style wheels, not only where they fitted to the most common production Canberra, but also all the derivatives, such as the T.11/19, T.17 and the TT18.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I'm not sure that I would hold building the kit on the wheels, maybe upgrade the nose gear, which is available, and don't glue on the mainwheels in hope that they can be changed 

To be honest chally I've got enough on the go with the Hawker siddley group builds at the moment. 

Phil

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robc said:

So what's the verdict on this 'Air-Graphics Models' set?

http://www.air-graphics.co.uk/page158.html

Rob

Thanks Rob, they look a little better however don't really know enough to claim that they're accurate. 

A few months ago, I wrote to Barracuda Studios to suggest that an early Canberra wheel set might be a good possible future project, however had not heard anything since - not even an acknowledgement of my email, which was a little disappointing. Never mind. 

Yes - perhaps Colin at Freightdog might oblige, Apologies for not  thinking of Colin first. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

17 minutes ago, robc said:

So what's the verdict on this 'Air-Graphics Models' set?

http://www.air-graphics.co.uk/page158.html

Rob

I've not seen that before, first impression is not that much better than the Airfix B.57 wheel, and nowhere as good as the Aeroclub set. Why T.11? They are applicable to all the B.2 variant's which would have been a better selling point. 

John

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes - perhaps Colin at Freightdog might oblige, Apologies for not  thinking of Colin first. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Well thanks for thinking of me! Unfortunately you will have to rule me out, the Air-Graphics ones are done by my pattern maker, so I've missed the boat on that. I will suggest it to Christopher at High Planes,  he is doing some CAD bits for the S & M kit so it might be on his to do list already.

Colin 

Edited by Colin @ Freightdog Models
  • Like 2

On 08/03/2018 at 5:46 PM, shatters said:

Is there an aftermarket set of correct size main wheels and front wheels with mud guards to suit the S&M Canberra B2 and  T4 ?

If not are the wheels from either airfix, matchbox or frog B(I)8 or PR9 kits suitable ?

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of Aeroclub sets of spoked wheels that I'd put to one we got a Valiant B.2 conversion.

I'll check when I get home tomorrow and let you know.

XVTonker 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xvtonker said:

Hi Phil,

I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of Aeroclub sets of spoked wheels that I'd put to one we got a Valiant B.2 conversion.

I'll check when I get home tomorrow and let you know.

XVTonker 

Thank you Tonker 

Phil

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, shatters said:

Phil

Hi Phil,

Are these the wheels you're after?

B2 wheels 001

XVtonker  :pilot:

2 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Just a reminder of what a Canberra B.2 etc wheel looks like!

Image result for canberra B.2 wheels

True James but as yet the old Aeroclub wheels are the best around. No doubt now with CAD and 3D printing we could get a better likness? But nothing on the horizon yet, perhaps we could get a Canberra to match 😊

John

• Like 1

On 08/03/2018 at 21:21, 71chally said:

My verdict is that I've never heard of them before, thanks for bringing up here!

Owner Gary Magwick, convicted criminal. I would rather carve my own than send him any money.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

True James but as yet the old Aeroclub wheels are the best around. No doubt now with CAD and 3D printing we could get a better likness? But nothing on the horizon yet, perhaps we could get a Canberra to match 😊

John

Certainly not knocking the Aeroclub wheels, but must be time for new ones now, and hopefully the rest of the aeroplane!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Certainly not knocking the Aeroclub wheels, but must be time for new ones now, and hopefully the rest of the aeroplane!

Jack up wheels and fit new aeroplane! 😊

Edited by canberra kid
Repeating myself