Airfix B737-200

bootneck

Just a short update on the model build,  the lower half and wings have had a coat of light grey; followed by the two stripe cheatline.   Next will be the black anti-dazzle patch in front of the cockpit.

b737-200_airfix_build_21_cheatlines_done

Whilst the paint is drying, and a coat of sealer is applied over the matt grey (what do people use as a clear sealer nowadays?), I thought I would get on with the decals.  Here is a set of decals for the windows, doors and hatches which I have printed out on my inkjet printer.  I have used clear decal paper for this.  The window with the oval shadowing is the overwing door pane.

b737-200_airfix_build_22_decals_windows_

cheers

Mike

• Like 4

First attempt with applying the decals.  I'm not used to applying long decals, normally I just add roundels etc. to 1:144 military jets so this is a bit of an adventure for me.

b737-200_airfix_build_23_decals_windows_

I'm struggling with the light conditions at the moment, my photo-lamps have gone U/S and so I'm having to use the natural light through the window; but it's very dark clouds at the mo'.

I messed up the decal for the other side of the fuselage, it curled up while I was applying it! :doh:  No worries, at least with making your own,  I can print off another set and redo that side later. :nodding:

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 4

Thanks armored76, they are actually quite easy to do if you draw them like an image, rather that try to write them as a font.

Next stage is to produce the decals for the rest of the model.  These include the tail logo and serial number, nationality flags and  Boeing 737 logos for the engine cowlings.  I also had a dabble at drawing a wing demarcation line (don't know what it is really called).

The image below shows an enlargement of the artwork for the logo, tail serial and the nationality flag. The flag will only be 5mm wide when printed.

decals_artwork_1.jpg

Here is the printed decal sheet ready to be given a spray of decal sealer.  It will get three coats of sealer but I have to wait for each coat to dry thoroughly before applying the next.

b737-200_airfix_build_24_decals_engine_l

A second set of the windows and Air China decals has also been printed, as a replacement for the one I messed up earlier for the starboard side.  The ruler has been placed alongside the decals to show their sizes.  The Boeing 737 logos for the cowlings are 15mm x 2mm.  I hope to be able to apply the decals tomorrow or the next day.

The more I work on this kit the more I'm getting to like it and will probably build more after this. (It must be good as I've used the word 'more' three times in the same sentence! :nono: ) There seems to be an almost endless range of liveries to choose for them!

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Edited by bootneck
updated image urls to https:
  • Like 5

At last, a bit of colour on the model.  I've managed to apply the tail logo and markings, plus the windows and titles along the starboard fuselage.

The colours of the logo and the national flag are the correct red, it is just the flourescent lighting in my room that is giving them that pinky effect.

b737-200_airfix_build_26_tail_logo_done.

I feel that I'm actually getting somewhere with this now.  Remaining tasks:

decals for overwing doors to be applied

cockpit glazing to be added

black anti-dazzle patch to be added on nose area

engines to be installed

"Boeing 737" decals to be applied to engines

decals for hatches to be applied to lower fuselage

undercarriage to be installed

coat of varnish to be applied overall.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Your homemade decals look very effective Mike. I think I need to dabble in the dark art of decal making when I can clear the bench and find to time.

Thanks Ray.

On 26/04/2018 at 21:37, FortyEighter said:

Do you recommend any particular make of decal paper and sealant?

Can the paper be cut into smaller pieces for printing?

I don't make any recommendations as to which decal sheets to buy, as I'm not an expert, but I use Experts-Choice decal paper as it tends to be available in most model shops.  I seal the decals with Testors Decal Bonder Spray and will admit that I do prefer this over other sealers I've used.   An on-line search should find outlets for both.

decal_paper_and_sealer1.jpg

HTH

Mike

• Like 7

Thanks John.

The engines have been fitted and I have started on the final decals for the upper wings and engine mounts. 

As can  be seen below, a dry fit with paper cutouts look to be OK, so the decal sheet will get a spray of sealer this afternoon, followed by application tomorrow; hopefully.

b737-200_airfix_build_27_engines_on.jpg

Only a few days left so I'd better look lively!

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks John.  I don't think these -200's had Corogard so the decals have been printed with transparant infills.  If they had that coating then I could have made the infill a mid or dark grey as necessary.  I've learnt a lot on this GB and will certainly be doing more experimenting, on decals and airliners, after this has build has been completed.

Mike

• Like 1

The tape is just a simple method to prevent the backing paper getting damp whilst spraying the sealer.  The tape is applied on the front of the decal paper and then wrapped over the edges to cover the same area at the back; approx. 50-50 of the tape width each side.    Once the sealer has dried completely then the tape will be removed.  The black rectangle, surrounding the artwork, is my boundary marker to ensure I don't get tape inside and damage the artwork. 

Mike  :winkgrin:

b737-200_airfix_build_28_decal_sheet_wit

• Like 1

Nearly there! :nodding:

The overwing decals, plus the logo's on the cowlings, have been applied.  The model just needs a coat of Klear to tidy it all up.

b737-200_airfix_build_30_wing_decals_on.

The model has been positioned on a box because the undercarriage has just been glued on and I am waiting for them to set firm.

Herewith a profile view of the model. I had to use the flash for this shot as the light isn't good from this angle at this time of day.  Note to self, repaint the tyres!

b737-200_airfix_build_31_wing_decals_on.

As there's still a couple of days to go, I thought I would have a go at making some cockpit decals.  Nothing fancy, just the frames and darker glazing, plus a few spare in case of errors.

b737-200_airfix_build_32_cockpit_decals.

Hopefully these decals will fit, otherwise I shall just do my normal practice of painting the model's glazing grey, followed by a light coating of Tamiya X-19 Smoke.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 1

The cockpit decal seems to have gone on OK, especially as a first attempt.  More practice is needed but it's a start.

b737-200_airfix_build_33_cockpit_done.jp

I could get to like doing this.  I think I'll get another B737-200 and do a different livery; there are so many choices.

b737-200_airfix_build_35_cockpit_done.jp

The final touch will be to add the wheel bay flaps and that's it done.

b737-200_airfix_build_34_cockpit_done.jp

I shall do the flaps in the morning, then take some photo's in decent light (hopefully) to place in the Gallery.

b737-200_airfix_build_36_cockpit_done.jp

thanks for looking,  and for providing help and support along the way.

Mike

• Like 3

Great work Mike, definitely one to be proud of.

17 hours ago, bootneck said:

I could get to like doing this. 

You should, i'd say you've got a real talent for airliners and those decals are excellent so I'd love to see what else you can do.

Cheers

John

Really excellent model Mike.  Hope you'll stick around the airliner fraternity.  

Thanks for all the helpful information about making decals although you could have bought a set of Authentic Airliners window decals and saved yourself a bit of work!