P-61A Black Widow

I'm almost half way through my month's leave and would like to do another aircraft build so I have chose this "Easy Assembly" kit from Hobby Boss. 

I've been doing quite a bit of reading over the past few weeks about the role North Yorkshire played in the air war during WWII. Needless to say Airfix's Whitley (RAF Leeming, just a couple of miles away.) and Revell's Halifax Mk. III (RAF Skipton on Swale, 10 miles or so.) quickly joined the stash.

As soon as I discovered this particular aircraft, Jukin' Judy, was based for a short period at RAF Scorton, near Catterick with the US 422nd Night Fighter Squadron it just shouted BUY ME!

85801 box 2

I should be back with an actual build update later today, can't wait to get started. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks very much, glad to have you watching. I'm not really sure what I'm doing but I'm enthusiastic. :D

Im sure you will make a really good job of it, and as long has you enjoy your build thats the mean thing.:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

I built this kit a few months ago and really enjoyed it. My WIP is here, maybe you'll find some tips there: 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031011-hobbyboss-172-p-61-black-widow/

Looking forward to seeing how you do yours. 

Bill

That's great, thank you very much Bill. I may have some questions. :winkgrin:

8 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I applaud your progress and well modulated black finish! This kit looks like one of HB's better offerings. Think I might look out for one of their P-61B kits, as I've got the A model covered with Dragon's offering.

Thanks very much.

The kit went together well but the decals are pretty delicate and require some care. 

Props, landing gear flaps and external fuel tanks added today. 

This is where I hold my hands up and say I have no idea how much of the underwing stuff was on "Jukin Judy" at Scorton, or anywhere else for that matter, so I hope I will be forgiven for putting it all on! :D

IMG_5899

• Like 2

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Wow! You've made great progress in a short time. Lookin' good! I quite like how your 'pre-highlighting' worked out.

Thanks very much Bill. 

I'm on leave at the moment so free to do as I wish most days.... unless my wife has other plans for my time. I'm pleased how the "pre-highlighting turned out, I must admit it's a bit of a practice run for another black project I have in the pipeline. :winkgrin:

Hi Roger!

About painting your black project — you might want to check out how I did my SR-71:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027443-i-couldnt-resist-sr-71a-blackbird/

(Fast forward to post 60 on page 3)

I was quite pleased how it turned out. 

Edited by billn53

28 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Hi Roger!

About painting your black project — you might want to check out how I did my SR-71:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027443-i-couldnt-resist-sr-71a-blackbird/

(Fast forward to post 60 on page 3)

I was quite pleased how it turned out. 

Thanks very much Bill, that's really useful and notes taken. The black paint grid on page two will also come in handy.

Nice work!