Light Stone or Sand Yellow? (Challenger)

Phantome

Hello tank experts,

Can any of you tell me what is the correct shade for Challenger tanks that fought in the Gulf/Iraq wars? On one hand I have read that the standard desert color is still the venerable Light Stone from WW2. On the other hand, I hear about British Sand Yellow which seems to be a bit more orange-ish than the sort of mustard-ish Light Stone.

It does not help that on pictures you can see Challengers leaning towards any of the other two colors!

Thanks!

12 hours ago, MADMUSKY said:

Defo Light Stone, Xtracrylics at Hannants is a good match.

Darren

I used to have it and tested it on a Matilda for the Counter scheme but found it too "tan". In fact, the differences between that and Xtracrylix's US desert tan were not much, the latter IMHO more accurate.

I have the new AK Interactive real color and it looks the part, but haven't sprayed it yet...

On 3/10/2018 at 1:30 AM, Phantome said:

I used to have it and tested it on a Matilda for the Counter scheme but found it too "tan". In fact, the differences between that and Xtracrylix's US desert tan were not much, the latter IMHO more accurate.

I have the new AK Interactive real color and it looks the part, but haven't sprayed it yet...

You could be right on the Matildas scheme, but my answer is for the Challenger colour.

Darren

Edited by MADMUSKY

Sneak preview (i.e. still unweathered) with the new AK real color. Taken under bad lighting and looks more cream-ish in real life but I think it is spot on.

5710c6d78b71c15789cee8c8fefb81a0-full.jp

Edited by Phantome

I think Mike Starmer has observed that the current incarnation of Light Stone isn't actually the same as the WW2 version. I'd have to go and check but IIRC the current shade is darker than the older one, so using the BS381C colour in the Caunter scheme could well look a bit strange. 

John 

Dick Taylor, he of the Warpaint series of books, said at a talk he gave the other day that the current Light Stone was still the same colour as the WW2 colour.

I was stood next to Bovington's Chally for an hour yesterday, which is still in its First Gulf War colours.  It is somewhat more yellow than the colour on the model Chally above.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:53 PM, John said:

I think Mike Starmer has observed that the current incarnation of Light Stone isn't actually the same as the WW2 version. I'd have to go and check but IIRC the current shade is darker than the older one, so using the BS381C colour in the Caunter scheme could well look a bit strange. 

John 

Well, Mike Starmer worked on the AK Real Colors range so if that were true, he surely would have pushed for 2 different Light Stone variants?