Airfix 54mm British and French Grenadier's

Hi folk's,as a break from Frog golden oldie's I got this Airfix gem of the shelf,I built a few of these way back when they first came out as a progression

from the hours spent painting the HO/OO Waterloo set's I was mad about that era at the time I even had the lovely Farmhouse kit,anyway here's the

card header.

40678153651_6c94c2e0af_b.jpg

And the kit part's which still amaze me with their finese.

38867771230_b64d241450_b.jpg

After cleaning up the mold seams I assembled the two leg's.

39783151895_0601109923_b.jpg

And same with the two part torso.I'm going to keep them seperate for painting,and that'sit for today.

40678158751_7497938e3b_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening folk's I,ve been doing a little here and there on this kit over the weekend,referencing Ratch's build I've followed his lead in painting the

arm's before assembly which I would not normally do but it makes perfect sence for this kind of  detailing,what a great hour brush painting in the peace 

and quiet took me right back to the day's as a kid in the dining room at home! need to pop to the LMS tomorrow for a couple of colour's I need if only they

stocked these kit's I'd grab a couple!

39074511950_bf65c4d94b_b.jpg

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Ted said:

Thanks for posting progress shots, I love seeing these figures being built.

Thank's Ted I got the colour's I needed today so now can progress a little.

Are you using Humbrol enamels?

I'm tempted to use Humbrol enamels on an Airfix figure for puritanical reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Are you using Humbrol enamels?

I'm tempted to use Humbrol enamels on an Airfix figure for puritanical reasons.

Tamiya acrylic's,I use them  for all my build's  so not much choice when it came to doing a figure  Ted,thin them and they are easy to use,I got

the green for the uniform trim so after I was happy with the red and white I've started this part of the job also the rest has had a final coat too.

40882783552_a107613237_b.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Brush painting with Tamiya's? You are a brave man, and have my total admiration!

Ciao

My Dad taught me how to paint with them when I was 5 and I've never looked back!

Lovely work Steve, I do wish Airfix would re-release these. I'm excited to see the end result!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

My Dad taught me how to paint with them when I was 5 and I've never looked back!

Horses for courses, I suppose :) I would never exchange vinyl based acrylics (Lifecolor, Italeri and the likes) for brush painting with anything else (but I do try different things from time to time ... :frantic:  :) )

Ciao

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's the postman delivered a small box on Thursday which turned out to be another figure which Dave (Spadad) decided to send me as a bribe

so I would continue not asking if he's finished the  USS Fletcher I gave him!

26252650307_bf84ba6213_b.jpg

I decided on the Dress uniform option so started eith a coat of white where applicable also  a base flesh coat on the Grenadier.

41123793111_9c62280cab_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FredG said:

Now I'm confused they're all grenadiers so which grenadier had the flesh painted? :think:

The British one Fred,the French guy is the better of the two as his hat is a seperate item,Igot the blue for his uniformtoday and left the shopwithout a kit too

very unusual!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevej60 said:

..................and left the shop without a kit too

Oh my word!  That's almost sacrilege. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1