Pawn stars on tv

Whofan

Just watched an episode of Pawn Stars (American tv show set in a Pawn shop in Las Vegas) where owner of the pawn shop (Rick)  was offered the chance to buy an L- 39 Albatross 2 seat trainer.

The seller was asking $200,000. The plane looked in very good condition, and the Pawn shop guy got an ex pilot he knows to give it a test flight which confirmed the good condition.

The amusing thing was the pilot asked Rick if he wanted to go up with him on the test flight and Rick declined, saying he was scared of flying!

He didn't buy the plane in the end, he didn't want to pay the $200,000.

• Like 1

I watched about half an episode of that show once and got sick of watching those guys trying to low ball people who could surely get much more for what they had if they went to an honest pawnbroker instead of those "stars".

I'd say they did the guy a favour by not buying it. Considering how popular the L-39 is on the civil market and that it can be used to give joy rides, I'd imagine he could get significantly more for than $200,000 for one in good condition.

Just now, upnorth said:

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 2

There are a lot of that type of show in this country - frankly, it is sickening that these guys are shown gloating when they've diddled some old fart out of a lot of money. American  Pickers are apparently the worst in that respect. There's a whole sub-culture over here of maximizing profit over caring for one's fellow man.  I like a bargain as much as the next guy, but to deliberately swindle people and gloat about it on film is disgraceful.

• Like 3

The show is FAKE anyway. The big money items like that, are hired by the production company from the owners (collectors in the case of the 'collectable' items that are featured) and the so called owner played by an actor.  There was an episode in the U.S recently where a guy supposedly tried to sell a Delorean, it was actually hired from the collector who owned for 2 days for the sum of $10,000 for the filming.

Most things on so called 'Reality' shows are setups and anything but real.