SR-53 (and big brother)

A fairly quick build by my standards.  Picked this up at the nationals in November.

I don't remember what the old Airfix kit was like (it was a long(!) time ago I built that one), but this kit looks like an SR-53.

Its a bit rough , and requires a fair bit of furkling and nurdling to get everything together.  I added the fuel dump pipes underneath (some photos show them) and wish I had swapped the pitot for some tubing.  No doubt it will get knocked off and need replacing at some point :-).  The dummy firestreaks cam from a sword lightning to replace the kit versions.

Its big brother is the Maintrack vacform done far to many years ago for my liking.  That's why the colour on it looks a bit off, the varnish has  aged.

Anyway onto the pics.  

TIm

SsXG1Ni.jpg

tlXQNBD.jpg

EOqnMm8.jpg

VS7S7zH.jpg

WKWILHq.jpg

hHjmCgE.jpg

0w8lZMV.jpg

Xzgvx4K.jpg

0CRtNSK.jpg

• Like 39

21 minutes ago, Antun Jankovic said:

I like them both. Shame they never flew...

The SR. 53 did fly, lots of times.  Nowadays we would call it a 'technology demonstrator', and, as Fishbed correctly states, the missiles were just shapes.  The larger - which never did fly - is the SR. 177, which fell victim to the fallacy that unmanned guided weapons were the future (and maybe they are, but not then) and to a cancelled order fom West Germany, who wisely plumped for the Starfighter instead.  Great move, Mein Herren!

Lovely builds of beautiful planes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

A very smart model Tim and the white paint looks spot on, these are 2 models that are on my to-do list.

The white was just Alclad white primer.  looked about right so left it at that :-)

Tim