British Army Suez 1952

Ratch

I'm looking for opinions of the colours of British vehicles in the early 50s at Suez. Here are a few pictures of my dad's time there.
413800541.jpg
413800534.jpg
413800535.jpg
413800536.jpg
413800533.jpg
413800542.jpg
413800537.jpg
They appear to be something like No.61 B.S.381-1930 Light Stone with the odd vehicle in No.24 B.S.381-1942 Deep Bronze Green. Were these colours still being used at that time? Would Vallejo Model Air 71027 Light Brown or Vallejo Model Air 71028 Sand Yellow RAL1019 be a fair representation of the light stone and Vallejo Model Color 98 70897 Bronze Green be good enough for the dark one(s). I may be barking up the wrong tree so any help appreciated.

I was at a talk yesterday given by Dick Taylor, author of the Warpaint books.  This was something he touched on.  He said that our post-war desert color has been and remains Light Stone, which he said is the still same colour as the wartime Light Stone.  The BS number has changed as the standards have been updated.  As for a pre-mixed colour, I have no recommendations for acrylics.  in enamels I would look at Mike Starmer's mix recommendation and perhaps find an acrylic which matches this.  His booklets contain matched colour swatches.

I have seen photos of Centurions in the Middle East with a red-brown camouflage, including one unloading from an LST allegedly during Suez.

• Thanks 1

I had the same  colour diilemma whilst considering painting the Accurate Armour Humber 1 ton GS 4x4 truck whilst in Suez in 1956.......tried all the stones, sands etc, etc on strips of plastic and finished up painting it in Tamiya XF57 Buff............looks just about right, give that some thought.......I have Vallejo stones and sand, but I think i noted a build by Flory models on their Saladin using Tamiya buff and it looked more realistic....................see what you think

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/alvis-saladin-pt-8/

• Thanks 1

I'm not keen on Tamiya paints and I've just tried Vallejo Model Air 71028 Sand Yellow, which is pretty close to the swatch I have in armour camouflage & markings NORTH AFRICA 1940 – 1943 ISBN 0 83568 101 5

An iteresting part are the No.51 (RAF) MT Company / Squadron there.

All the Hippos and Bedfords, Macks, Studebakers and Thornycroft - lovely.

You can find a lot in the book Dessert Whells by Bryan Blow, published by woodfield:

https://woodfieldpublishing.com/contents/en-uk/p237_desert-wheels.html

modelldoc