AFV Club Churchill Mk IV 75mm Gun

Hi Richard,

My next build, you're going to love it!  I have all the patterns I need for my next scratch project.  Frog-7 Luna-M.  I'm really going to stretch myself and build in 1/25 scale. Check it out!!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 3:01 PM, Gondor44 said:

I think that's an understatement.

Gondor

Thanks for stopping by Gondor hope it's not to  bonkers 

On 5/22/2018 at 7:00 AM, FrancisGL said:

More fantastic job!...nice progress, It's all a little engineering work...:popcorn:

Cheers Richard 

Its coming along Francis bit by bit

Giving the engine a bit of a break will come back to it later

Seeing as I want to show this as a restoration as per the Churchill Trust on Facebook I have started a new Churchill base so that I could make parts as I see in pictures, these pictures are for help in my build so if not allowed please delete, all the parts I added on the first base were all after thoughts so this time I am planning a little better.

54mFl1.jpg

TnnR3D.jpg

Started by making the side trucks they go together very well no issues.

LWdLD1.jpg

lRGwAg.jpg

A3XliU.jpg

After I got trucks done I cleaned up the side plates and bottom plate removed all the areas where it helps glue sides to bottom plate, filled in the space at the back end where the gearbox is with sheet styrene then glued the brake housing on the outside and then milled out the inside so that I could add the brake parts later.

RE9dvn.jpg

wZisij.jpg

Yh0Hc4.jpg

Will add the angle which I see in the pictures to hold sides to bottom (will use brass angle)

yEChVr.jpg

While I was letting a few things dry I looked at another picture (again this is to help my build if it is not ok please delete) this time from Haynes book and saw the front wheels had holes, the kit part don't have these 

tMuU36.jpg

So I got a piece of 3/4" square brass and started to machine as per picture adding the flange to each side made both at the same time each hole is on 45 deg .

ba52Fi.jpg

Then took the sprockets and machined of the inside band on each one

YNNO5X.jpg

Made a jig so that I could glue the middle part to the sprockets so that they were all equal around, glue the one side with this

SYp27R.jpg

gKBvLr.jpg

WRV5hn.jpg

WAv73a.jpg

Then stuck a shaft through and glued the other side making sure they were aligned then cleaned up the rubber band which is around the sprocket

akTaFq.jpg

WP7J6K.jpg

GEUJzC.jpg

Am I :nuts: probable until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 10

Not sure how I’ve missed this as I find your builds mind blowing!

Its also interesting to see your other builds in the background but notice that the Hurricane is missing, has the been finished/forgotten/shelved?

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2018 at 3:57 AM, Ripaman said:

Thanks for stopping by Gondor hope it's not to  bonkers 

Your Welcome.

I find the build to be

Facinating,

Awe inspiring,

Educational,

Instructive

and Terrifying 😲  due to your skill and the results you are produceing!

Gondor

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 11:13 PM, beefy66 said:

Amazing details Richard :popcorn:

Beefy 

Thanks Beefy making as per the pictures I see wish I could find some drawings with dimensions

On 6/1/2018 at 12:57 AM, Bullbasket said:

Wow! Not your average kit assembly. Fantastic work there Richard.

John.

Yea this one I will be doing it completely different than the instructions or how they say to assemble :smile:

On 6/1/2018 at 2:03 AM, longshanks said:

I started reading and  I thought this is rather mundane for Richard

and then .............

:gobsmacked:

Kev

"No and then" lol  I noticed on the first attempt I had a few things not looking right so will build that one to completion but the second one will be a little more involved  :fingerscrossed: 

On 6/1/2018 at 11:00 AM, Kris B said:

Happy man who can make the parts by himself. Good job. 

Love making the parts Kris I think thats the fun for me

On 6/1/2018 at 3:47 PM, Tony C said:

Not sure how I’ve missed this as I find your builds mind blowing!

Its also interesting to see your other builds in the background but notice that the Hurricane is missing, has the been finished/forgotten/shelved?

Hi Tony as you are well aware by now, I seam to get distracted and now have a few models to complete have started to slow down at work only working 3 days a week so I hope to start finishing some of them which includes the Hurricane, it has not been forgotten :daydream:

On 6/2/2018 at 6:21 AM, RichO said:

You are definitely :mental:!!  But then all us scratchers are!  Good job.

You hit that right on the nail Rich thanks for looking in

On 6/6/2018 at 2:37 PM, Hewy said:

Wow,  each post seems to trump the last, 

Thanks a lot Glynn I keep looking at pictures and then  eh got to the "no and then" :laugh:

On 6/8/2018 at 2:48 PM, Gondor44 said:

Your Welcome.

I find the build to be

Facinating,

Awe inspiring,

Educational,

Instructive

and Terrifying 😲  due to your skill and the results you are produceing!

Gondor

Thanks very much for your post do hope you try something out of the box it is a lot of fun but it is not terrifying, slow going yes anyway thanks again for your post.

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Hi Tony as you are well aware by now, I seam to get distracted and now have a few models to complete have started to slow down at work only working 3 days a week so I hope to start finishing some of them which includes the Hurricane, it has not been forgotten :daydream:

That’s good Richard, with the quality of the work you put in, it would be a shame for it to not be finished!:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Been able to do some more work on the main frame.

Started by gluing the ends to the base but not the sides, then added the three holes in the back , after that I was able to glue the brass angle around the base then added some bolts

3HqLFy.jpg

nMGOOJ.jpg

j71rir.jpg

rQmTE7.jpg

After another great picture (again this is for help in my model so if it is not allowed please remove) this shows the brake holder so I machined two axles then the back brake part which hold the brake pads

SBLDvi.jpg

V6TVJ6.jpg

Atgwoj.jpg

8IjmU1.jpg

Next up I machined a piece of wood so that the base and sides would fit snug so that this will help in mounting the gearbox/engine mounts

HyDiNk.jpg 

oHyg4a.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Tony C said:

That’s good Richard, with the quality of the work you put in, it would be a shame for it to not be finished!:thumbsup:

You are right Tony did put a lot of work into her I see from my WIP all my pictures are gone this was from Photobucket now will have to find time to put them back on🙄

Well here is a couple of pic for you

LLWo0t.jpg

5hA0ps.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

20 hours ago, RichO said:

Some rather nice geometry going on in that 4th photo.  Nice job.

Cutting the angle to the dangle :smile: = cutting piece longer then file and file until you get angle right :like:

Added brass angle going across the base at the gearbox and front end, added the rivets made from the riveter (from the small shop) still need to add the other row, made new engine mounts (out of plastic) and gearbox mount (out of brass) now to get the engine and gearbox at the right angle took this drawing and scaled it to 1:35

KeAUyL.jpg

2qCmXo.jpg

5UJRA2.jpg

Made a jig with the angle needed then machined a spacer to go between engine and gearbox, then machined some aluminum tube to fit inside axles and then go to gearbox shaft

cjsp8X.jpg

sXq73s.jpg

wCU5V7.jpg

Now got all parts glued in

SEi3v9.jpg

ZTf9MN.jpg

CXY0L3.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hewy said:

Superb madness, some of the best attention to detail I've seen, i agree with richO, geometrically excellent 

Glynn 

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It seems a bit repetitious to keep saying "WOW", but I'm just lost for words.

John.

Thanks very much Glynn, John, Rich, Beefy and Etienne for your kind posts I have immense fun building this as I do with all my models, but have to finish some :wonder:

Regards

Richard  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...