AFV Club Churchill Mk IV 75mm Gun

On 3/13/2018 at 4:01 PM, PlaStix said:

Great idea for a project and superb progress so far. Amazing detailing work! Very nicely done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix glad to be back on the bench was very busy with business stuff for a few months slow transitioning from work to retirement :yes: so will give me more time at the bench or the wife might get out her honey to do list :lalala:

On 3/13/2018 at 4:21 PM, BlackMax12 said:

You certainly have a project going Richard.  Building an engine from scratch???  The photo etch looks amazing and sure is lots of it, hate that fiddly stuff sometimes though

but it really looks impressive as the plastic detail just doesn't look scale in lots of places.  Keep it coming, it's going to be a masterpiece.

BTW, what is that big white rubber-tired beast in the background?

Take care, sure is nice to see the sun in AB for a day or two but streets are really sloppy, "up periscope" in some places.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd just cant seam to build a model straight out of the box :fraidnot: so building the engine from scratch :mental: yea I am nuts but it really is relaxing to me

You ask what that big white with rubber tires is well it is an unfinished Matador with 7 ton Coles Crane another scratch project I am working on

r01p35.jpg

We had Sun on Tuesday but snow again yesterday did you get that as well we have about 2'-0 of snow here on the ground

On 3/15/2018 at 2:37 AM, Sairou said:

Excellent work, the opening driver's hatch looks great, as does everything else.'

Thanks Sairou just adding the small detail

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic job so far, could I ask what make of drill bit you used on the tracks? As I've got a set for a Sherman and I've not had much success.

Hi Ozzy cannot see who they are made by but I buy the ones which are the most expensive I go to a shop which sells all the stuff which machine shops use they last way longer.

I will try and get a name for you

3 hours ago, Etienne said:

Well, your sodered :P soldered PE is excellent !!

I tried soldering last year but without much success ... I probably need to practice a bit to achieve such a nice result.

Cheers, E

I had to figure out how to solder because I don't get onto well with CA glue if I smell it I come down with cold/flu like symptoms, but as you say you have to practice and have alot of patience.

Thanks to all for looking in will have an update soon.

Regards

Richard 

• Like 3

Richard

That Matador looks like a monster, must be bigger than 1/35 and quite the project.

No we missed the big hullaballoo storm this week, only got about 1/2" but we still have at least a foot on the ground and ice everywhere.

The streets are an off road adventure every time we go out and rough as it partly melted then froze again in a never ending cycle. I think

March 21 is the first day of spring and it can't come soon enough as they're calling for more snow tonight and tomorrow, uggghh!!!

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Richard

That Matador looks like a monster, must be bigger than 1/35 and quite the project.

No we missed the big hullaballoo storm this week, only got about 1/2" but we still have at least a foot on the ground and ice everywhere.

The streets are an off road adventure every time we go out and rough as it partly melted then froze again in a never ending cycle. I think

March 21 is the first day of spring and it can't come soon enough as they're calling for more snow tonight and tomorrow, uggghh!!!

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd it is 1:24 scale this will be part of a project involving the Willy's Jeep, Hawker Typhoon one day :think:

Regards

Richard

Made a few more parts for the engine, front bottom pulley 

XpGfXD.jpg

ycqjKr.jpg

ZKLXRl.jpg

Then machined the flywheel then used a .020" ball milling cutting tool to add the teeth 

GxBxMH.jpg

r8gOkf.jpg

ZtlDh8.jpg

This part of the engine does not include the heads those will be made later here is a picture which came from the Churchill Truss for use to make this (if I am not allowed to post this please remove)

wzX1ts.jpg

Cut some .003" brass sheet made two cones and came up with the Sirocco fan

ZVLNVH.jpg

jFVOYc.jpg

oneLEV.jpg

vQCNJl.jpg

HJGlw3.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 12

Hi Richard

I've some how managed to miss your latest build until now ....

Good to see you keeping up your usual standards in 1/35. An amazing and informative build to date, pleased for you that you're enjoying/settling in to retirement.

I will be following with interest

Kev

• Like 1

I was wondering how the heck you were going to scratch an engine but you didn't say you had a machine shop in the basement and

the machinist's skills to use it.

Looks great so far, are you going to somehow try to show off all of that detail or just bury it in the engine compartment? It might

be an idea to fab up an A-frame with the engine hanging like they were doing an engine change. 

If that Trumpeter Jagdtiger I have on order ever shows up I was thinking of doing just that as even the plastic engine is too nice to bury and after all they changed engines in

the King Tigers  and their siblings about every 50 miles apparently.

Did you get that snow again last night? We got about an inch of really heavy wet stuff after the freezing rain quit so it was a joy

to clean up this AM.  The old back just loves wet Spring snow.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 6:39 PM, Ripaman said:

I had to figure out how to solder because I don't get onto well with CA glue if I smell it I come down with cold/flu like symptoms, but as you say you have to practice and have alot of patience. 

Hi Richard, I have the very same problem with CA glue but still sticked to it until my soldering skill is good enough :huh: E

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 1:50 AM, longshanks said:

Hi Richard

I've some how managed to miss your latest build until now ....

Good to see you keeping up your usual standards in 1/35. An amazing and informative build to date, pleased for you that you're enjoying/settling in to retirement.

I will be following with interest

Kev

Hi Kev welcome aboard mate, and yes slowly moving to full retirement have worked 43 years in the steel industry I think that is enough eh, wife has started the honey list so have not been down in the hobby room this week.

On 3/17/2018 at 4:20 AM, Carius said:

Excellent job so far Richard :popcorn:

Thanks a lot  Carius it has been fun to build so far,

On 3/17/2018 at 6:15 AM, clive_t said:

See, this is what happens when you take your eye off a thread... just brilliant building!!! Jaw dropping details! :hypnotised:

Hi Clive I like trying different ways to add my scratch work

On 3/17/2018 at 8:51 AM, Soeren said:

Well, that is some engineering. I guess you have some professional experience there?

Hi Soeren, have worked with steel all my working life so this has rubbed of into my models

On 3/17/2018 at 10:09 AM, Sleepwalker said:

I don't know if there is more British tank than Churchill. Your build is very inspirational.

Thanks sleepwalker  this Churchill really grown on me, it needs some detailed parts

On 3/17/2018 at 11:01 AM, BlackMax12 said:

I was wondering how the heck you were going to scratch an engine but you didn't say you had a machine shop in the basement and

the machinist's skills to use it.

Looks great so far, are you going to somehow try to show off all of that detail or just bury it in the engine compartment? It might

be an idea to fab up an A-frame with the engine hanging like they were doing an engine change. 

If that Trumpeter Jagdtiger I have on order ever shows up I was thinking of doing just that as even the plastic engine is too nice to bury and after all they changed engines in

the King Tigers  and their siblings about every 50 miles apparently.

Did you get that snow again last night? We got about an inch of really heavy wet stuff after the freezing rain quit so it was a joy

to clean up this AM.  The old back just loves wet Spring snow.

Take care,

Lloyd

Like your idea Lloyd have two more Churchills in the stash, and yes do have a lathe and milling machine down stairs in the hobby room, made by Sherline 

On 3/17/2018 at 1:25 PM, Etienne said:

Hi Richard, I have the very same problem with CA glue but still sticked to it until my soldering skill is good enough :huh: E

Sorry to hear that does'nt it suck eh

On 3/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, PlaStix said:

Wow! Incredible modelling! Really taking it to the next level! :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix thanks alot for your kind words trying to make it loo a little better.

On 3/17/2018 at 4:49 PM, Hewy said:

Different world this, class apart

Thanks Hewy do love to scratch build, don't have any drawings so all from pictures so far.

Thanks all for looking in

Regards

Richard

Made the  channels which the engine was mounted too, then made a jig to see how high I need them, this also helped in finding the angle the engine had to be, reason it was on an angle it had to meet the gearbox

C6ymdl.jpg

uCciHd.jpg

h27KXZ.jpg

Got the front fire wall made and tried in in the jig

z6IFA4.jpg

HquRrk.jpg

This is what it looks like in the tank, removed all the out of scale parts

d6Opgc.jpg

aYRsNc.jpg

Thought :hmmm:while I had got it to this stage I might as well make the gearbox :mental: 

7kS1Ez.jpg

YP50aE.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 11

On 3/25/2018 at 2:20 AM, clive_t said:

Awesome! :worthy:

Thanks for looking in Clive 

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Great job!!!, looks fantastic, you are a gifted!, :popcorn:...

Cheers Ripaman :yes:

Hi Francis, thanks for your kind words just like doing details 

Have started added the ribs around the gearbox, made the other fire wall between the engine and gearbox machined a pulley, trying to make the gearbox to look as the picture from Churchill Trust

5zGIdZ.jpg

tp7OlX.jpg

pu6ZnN.jpg 

0IIy1a.jpg

IvOezr.jpg

thats it for now

Regards

Richard

• Like 9

On 3/27/2018 at 12:16 AM, longshanks said:

Impressive as always ...          you were wasted at work :wink:

Something has changed, I can now see your pics on my laptop. :shrug:

Kev

Thanks Kev, what I do with my models I did at work and customers kept coming back :thanks:

On 3/27/2018 at 4:09 AM, PlaStix said:

Every time I stop by I am so impressed by your modelling skills! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

I do get carried away Stix but do enjoy figuring out how I want to build the pieces but thanks very much for your kind remark

On 3/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, BlackMax12 said:

Well other than not being dark green it sure does look like the 1:1 scale gearbox.  Impressive Richard.

Shame to bury it inside though or how can you display it?

Take care,

Lloyd 

It is starting to look like the gearbox just built it by looked at the pictures just wondering if I should try casting it :hmmm: still not sure how I will display it

On 3/27/2018 at 11:11 PM, Hewy said:

Wow, that gearbox, great modelling Richard 

Hi Hewy, once I started the engine I had to make the gearbox not sure if it is totally to scale but I think it is very close just finished a few more details

On 3/31/2018 at 10:26 AM, Kris B said:

Good job. 

Thanks alot Kris

Couple of shots of the gearbox underneath and back

Nuiice.jpg

cl2zkH.jpg

Now made the compressor which mounted to the top of the gearbox 

zKpLF0.jpg

Then made the linkage arm brackets  

RW7jiw.jpg

Just taped the compressor to the gearbox I think it looks not to bad

e2GJaS.jpg

2Wp3ur.jpg

8eHycB.jpg

Now will start making linkage arms

Until next time thanks everyone for looking in.

Regards

Richard

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1