AFV Club Churchill Mk IV 75mm Gun

I HATE threads like this......

that make me feel COMPLETELY inadequate, just when I thought I was making good progress with my own skills as well!! :rant:

Only messing, awesome build! Will be keeping a close eye on this one until it's finished.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2018 at 1:29 AM, PZRGREN said:

It looks like she should turn over soon and drive away!  outstanding level of detail and skills!

Roger.

Hi Roger thanks for your kind words I was looking at the Churchill site and they had a video of the engine starting and running, brilliant sound it was

On 4/5/2018 at 2:13 AM, Gary29 said:

I HATE threads like this......

that make me feel COMPLETELY inadequate, just when I thought I was making good progress with my own skills as well!! :rant:

Only messing, awesome build! Will be keeping a close eye on this one until it's finished.

I am glad you like it has been fun to build so far.

Regards

Richard

Now have started to make the heads for the engine again I used a few pictures from the Churchill site so these again for building purpose only

PExlBT.jpg

HB7CKE.jpg

Started with blank pieces then machined the top 

zeOmRq.jpg

vTn5Ag.jpg

Then filed them down to match the body

vF31uo.jpg

Then machined the recess and drill holes for the spark plugs

wXt9ci.jpg

ZSRGIz.jpg

there is a shape on the heads which I am now trying to emulate it looks like part of the casting

2QV7hS.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 11:49 PM, Hewy said:

Good lord, thats impressive richard, those  cylinder head heads were they milled? 

Hi Hewy yes did machine the heads and then hand drilled the holes for the spark plugs, noticed I got the slot out on one side off a bit opps oh well it will have to do

On 4/12/2018 at 3:11 AM, FrancisGL said:

Every time I see, it goes better and better ...impressive job done until now...:popcorn:

Cheers Richard :yes: 

Thanks Francis not been doing much modeling the last two weeks due to spring has finally come to this part of the world.

Well have done a little bit, made the funny shape on the heads as per picture, going to show this model as a restoration just like the pictures on the Churchill Trust so started making stands to hold the engine and gear box

lNvxqR.jpg

ycONbR.jpg

Then made the cover plates and added the bolt heads

2My1CV.jpg

BjT0au.jpg

O0Exye.jpg

Now made the two glycol pumps 

rJX4Oa.jpg

OnKttT.jpg

e7xiWR.jpg

Got a figure by the side so now seeing these together this was one big engine :yikes:

BX7Hu8.jpg

Y6NXm9.jpg

well that is it for now,

Regards

Richard

• Like 13

Tough to comment on this one Richard......it's a little bit beyond impressive.

Having now the time to get into scratch building myself and issues of scale and making components, I can appreciate just based on what I've attempted myself to realise that this is top shelf mate. Maintaining this accuracy at 1/35 as you have, I can only say is an enviable skill.....10 out of 10...:thumbsup:

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Wow...

Actually, I'm sure you're already aware that one of those bolts wasn't tightened to the correct torque... :D

Seriously, totally awesome levels of detail :worthy:

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hewy said:

Most impressive work, it really is 

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn  (and there I was calling you Hewy ) thanks for looking in it is coming together as I had hoped, few discrepancies here and there still many things to add :nuts: using pictures and a drawing from the Haynes Churchill Tank book

This picture is from the book and hope it is Ok to post, this is the drawing I am using for some of the detail, took this and scaled it down to 1:35

QGnuBS.jpg

fy7NpB.jpg

16 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Engineering in miniature. Beautiful.

John.

Trying John, a'm calling this a model within a model :nod:

16 hours ago, longshanks said:

:clap2:

Good to see you back at the bench and continuing with your micro engineering

Kev

Thanks Kev trying to micro engineer like yourself its taking me a little longer these days and now the snow has gone we are getting ready for camping/RV'ing  season. 

16 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Tough to comment on this one Richard......it's a little bit beyond impressive.

Having now the time to get into scratch building myself and issues of scale and making components, I can appreciate just based on what I've attempted myself to realise that this is top shelf mate. Maintaining this accuracy at 1/35 as you have, I can only say is an enviable skill.....10 out of 10...:thumbsup:

Simon.

Hi Simon thanks very much, glad you are getting into scratch building I find I like it more than just putting a model together, I like how I have to figure how I'am going to build it and the best part is when you figured it out and actually make something, it looks like the picture or if you are lucky the drawing you have.

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Absolutely awesome modeling skills on display again! Just gets better and better. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks very much for your kind remarks Stix its starting to look like a Flat 12 Churchill Engine :wonder: would I be correct in saying it is a Vauxhall

10 hours ago, clive_t said:

Wow...

Actually, I'm sure you're already aware that one of those bolts wasn't tightened to the correct torque... :D

Seriously, totally awesome levels of detail :worthy:

Hi Clive think I had them at 110 ft/lb :phew: :laugh:  

10 hours ago, Bonkin said:

Blimey. This is on another level. Awesome work.

:yes:

Thanks alot Bonkin

Made the frame for the gearbox will be changing the parts in grey to look more like the brake drums

LkCEvS.jpg

qcklL2.jpg

HZRFzx.jpg

TO5HEw.jpg

This last picture is again from the Haynes Churchill book and it says "This is the engine compartment of the Mk 1V when it it was first open so my question is when I come to paint do I paint close to duck egg blue or is there a certain colour :hmmm:and would the gearbox be the same?

52Wm4Y.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 11

Richard, Your making this look  simple to do, but The scale, materials, and accuracy involved tell a different story to those that have tried such things , superlatives will soon run out , lead the way

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

Geez you must have been following RichO's build of the Big As Maz too close and some of his scratch building mania rubbed off.

Not that it isn't a good thing but the rest of us peons are suffering from major envyitis.  (coined a new word)

Have you figured out how to make this mechanical mayhem visible as it's a shame to bury it in an old tank chassis?

It's now 3:56PM and I have an hour to get my drinks chilled and snacks ready as THE GAME starts at 5:00PM.

Go Jets GO!!!!!!

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2018 at 1:52 AM, Badder said:

BONKERS!

I am in awe.

Rearguards

Badder

Hi Badder have been called :nuts: many times mate I think you are as well have looked at your building you made does look really good

On 5/12/2018 at 4:50 AM, FrancisGL said:

More impressive job !, even the black doll that is next to the engine is "hallucinated" ... lol :popcorn:

Cheers Richard :clap2:

Thanks Francis yea that figure is not looking to good any idea were to get some good ones

On 5/12/2018 at 1:28 PM, Kris B said:

Lovely. 

Thanks Kris hope the pictures of the engine build are helpful I know you asked back on post #19

On 5/12/2018 at 1:55 PM, Hewy said:

Richard, Your making this look  simple to do, but The scale, materials, and accuracy involved tell a different story to those that have tried such things , superlatives will soon run out , lead the way

Glynn 

Hi Glynn I do love doing this type of scratch build, I find if I can find a drawing and can scale it to what scale the model I am working on, I can build most things  not perfect but close enough for me, sometimes it takes two or three attempts but I find thats the fun of it :nuts: 

On 5/12/2018 at 3:58 PM, BlackMax12 said:

Geez you must have been following RichO's build of the Big As Maz too close and some of his scratch building mania rubbed off.

Not that it isn't a good thing but the rest of us peons are suffering from major envyitis.  (coined a new word)

Have you figured out how to make this mechanical mayhem visible as it's a shame to bury it in an old tank chassis?

It's now 3:56PM and I have an hour to get my drinks chilled and snacks ready as THE GAME starts at 5:00PM.

Go Jets GO!!!!!!

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd have done this type of scratch work for a very long time now but do like seeing work like what Rich made, but I give him a lot of credit because he finishes a model where I have few to complete :think:

Will be making this as a restoration job with the engine & gearbox out inside a building like what I have see on Churchill Trust site.

On 5/13/2018 at 2:09 PM, PlaStix said:

Absolutely stunning again!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks again Stix having lots of fun on this small model 

Well very very small update, added the belt tension brackets, and added bolts here and there.

hZ9FH5.jpg

efRaAE.jpg

26D225.jpg

VDBFPg.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 10

This thread leads me to wonder if we are all equal when it comes to scratchbuilding ? 🤔

Fantastic work, Richard ... I am really impressed by what you are able to put together 😎

E

• Thanks 1

This is what machining skills and the right tools can do 😲

You will keep it on the work stand? Otherwise this amazing engine will  be hidden... Ah... now I know. You will do a working winch to move the engine in and out of your tank whenever you like!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Etienne said:

This thread leads me to wonder if we are all equal when it comes to scratchbuilding ? 🤔

Fantastic work, Richard ... I am really impressed by what you are able to put together 😎

E

Thanks a lot Etienne, do find there is a lot of very good scratch work going on in the armored section right now and yes I think we are all equal 🖖

19 hours ago, Soeren said:

This is what machining skills and the right tools can do 😲

You will keep it on the work stand? Otherwise this amazing engine will  be hidden... Ah... now I know. You will do a working winch to move the engine in and out of your tank whenever you like!

Machining is a part of it Soeren but I would totally agree having the right tools is a big help also having good pictures, drawings if you can, and yes I will be keeping it on the stand same as the gearbox.

Regards

Richard   

Some seriously good scratching going on here, Richard!!  More great ideas to "barrow" for my next project.

• Thanks 1