AFV Club Churchill Mk IV 75mm Gun

Started this AFV Churchill after reading a very good book "D-Day to Victory' the Diaries of a British Tank Commander by SGT Trevor Greenwood

This is the first 1:35 scale tank I have ever built and it has been fun to build.

Brought aftermarket stuff like 75mm Gun Barrel, tank fenders, upgrade sets, Churchill engine from Resicast, set of AFV workable trucks and a set of Friulmodel tracks

Did not take any pictures at the start so here it is with the two different tracks to see which ones I liked all the wheels had been made and bottom of hull glued

WH6rRr.jpg

TERcdj.jpg

With the upgrade set there were nice grills to be made so I made a jig so that I could solder them

HJJsXN.jpg

0k96pC.jpg

yZYapC.jpg

Then soldered up the smoke grenade holder

YpOHx4.jpg

tQHxnG.jpg

ZiSk6s.jpg

Add the guards on the side a used small bolts to hold in place

eHS3RM.jpg

Until next time 

Regards

Richard

• Like 21

I'll be following this one Richard....really nice work :yes:.

A Churchill is probably going to be the first Allied AFV I go for. I'd be interested on your thoughts on AFV Club and it's overall buld experience. I'm halfway through a Sd.Kfz 11 from them. It had some fit and pointless detail issues. But overall not a bad kit.

Good luck on your build.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking good, how did the suspension go together, I've read it can be a bit awkward?

Excellant work, and good luck.:yes:

I had no issues with the suspension but did do it over couple of nights to let the glue set, do have two more Churchill's to build so will post how I did it, thanks for looking in.

14 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I'll be following this one Richard....really nice work :yes:.

A Churchill is probably going to be the first Allied AFV I go for. I'd be interested on your thoughts on AFV Club and it's overall buld experience. I'm halfway through a Sd.Kfz 11 from them. It had some fit and pointless detail issues. But overall not a bad kit.

Good luck on your build.

Simon.

Welcome aboard Simon

I say go for it Simon the AFV Club is a very good model, fits well have had no issues yet will be doing a few changes :hmmm:

9 hours ago, Carius said:

Looking very nice. I will follow with interest :popcorn:

Hi Carius thanks for your interest reading the book got my interest up.

Regards

Richard

I like these Churchill Kit and like Simon said, it is on my list. The PE looks crazy good. I was hesitant regarding the AFV club Churchills, because I also read about fit issues. Great job so far.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robw_uk said:

oh boy that is good... love the detail the PE gives you

Hi Rob thanks PE is very good from Voyagermodel

11 hours ago, Soeren said:

I like these Churchill Kit and like Simon said, it is on my list. The PE looks crazy good. I was hesitant regarding the AFV club Churchills, because I also read about fit issues. Great job so far.

The Churchill has grown on me too and as above find the PE very nice to work with and I like to solder together, you should try one and I think you will like it

5 hours ago, Kris B said:

I like the Churchills, sad that they are not appearing to often. 

Hi Kris, I have noticed that went on a search in the files and could not find to many

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A very interesting vehicle, I definitely have to make a Churchill one of these days ...

Excellent progress, great work with the PEs ...watching with interest :popcorn:

Cheers Ripaman :yes:

Hi Francis go for it mate you would do a lovely job on one

Well here is another up date made the Friulmodel tracks ATL-60 because I think they were the best looking, each piecehad to be cleaned up filed a little bit then I used .020" rod to pin them, they seem to sit well

ReQGaS.jpg

SkOL3N.jpg

Fyqyz6.jpg

Ncq7lc.jpg

Next up was the storage box behind the turret, this was soldered, bent some .003" brass into angle and added around the top

mwoqBn.jpg

Then made the hinges, which I made work bit of a nutter eh

Hnb4yc.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 13

Looking good Richard.  The AFV tracks aren't too bad but I think the Friul tracks are a whole magnitude better, they look and sag like the real thing.

There's a ton of photo etch and you are doing a great job with it, are you sure this is your first 1/35?

Following along and looking forward to seeing more.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

What kind of soldering setup do you use to get such crisp and clean results?

Great choice on the tracks. I couldnt make up my mind to get a 35€ track set yet. But these just look like the real stuff. Seems that pewter is just possible to be cast exactly like the large pieces, while styrene is always a little less crisp.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

Hi Richard, great work so far, nice soldering too, always good to be inspired by a good book, must say though the kit tracks look pretty decent, ( bad memories of assembling bronco "workable" tracks) look forward to seeing more 

Glynn 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 8:34 PM, BlackMax12 said:

Looking good Richard.  The AFV tracks aren't too bad but I think the Friul tracks are a whole magnitude better, they look and sag like the real thing.

There's a ton of photo etch and you are doing a great job with it, are you sure this is your first 1/35?

Following along and looking forward to seeing more.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd how are you doing, those AFV tracks are after market which are not too bad as you say the ones which come with the kit are black and not very good but I do like the Friul had to do a lot of clean up so they they will sag, yes this is my first 1:35 tank, does sound weird eh

On 3/10/2018 at 1:09 AM, Soeren said:

Great choice on the tracks. I couldnt make up my mind to get a 35€ track set yet. But these just look like the real stuff. Seems that pewter is just possible to be cast exactly like the large pieces, while styrene is always a little less crisp.

Hi Soeren, I use a BernzOmatic which heats up great, tip must be clean then I had a very small amount of solder and I mean a very small amount then turn off the flame add flux ( I use Tix Flux) to the part I want to solder using a very small brush then touch the torch to the piece and you will see that the solder will flow nicely if you put to much solder on the tip you will get a mess, but at first to don't succeed try try again until it is second nature, hope this helps

y4tE0U.jpg

hnxXQr.jpg

The metal tracks are brilliant 

On 3/10/2018 at 2:54 AM, FrancisGL said:

The metal tracks were already a great improvement (and that the originals looked very good too), but with the extra work (uffff!), They look even better ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate :yes:

Hi Francis, here is a picture showing the original which is black, then brown ones are after market by AFV but you are right metal are the best

lLItDt.jpg

On 3/10/2018 at 10:50 AM, Hewy said:

Hi Richard, great work so far, nice soldering too, always good to be inspired by a good book, must say though the kit tracks look pretty decent, ( bad memories of assembling bronco "workable" tracks) look forward to seeing more 

Glynn 

Hi Glynn that book was brilliant and love the soldering 

Here is another shot of the storage 

LOmG7E.jpg

Then soldered the air intake mesh and covers

pOUs59.jpg

H7QRsP.jpg

GMUzA5.jpg

Then started to fit the Resicast engine. added sheet plastic thought the air intakes were small

q1R2hk.jpg

wHXGLj.jpg

ymdUWf.jpg

FRqO7L.jpg

Thought I would make the radiators 

lzDFcU.jpg

aUvC5j.jpg

amY2U2.jpg

Until next time thanks everyone for looking in

Regards

Richard

• Like 15

All looking good mate.......I started my PE upgrading back in the States when I use to live there until 2014, and took the soldering approach......or "sodering", as the Americans use to call it...:huh:......I used that method on my Sturer Emil. But found after I did the fenders, the vast majority was smaller parts. I think when I add fenders to some kits I have planned, I'll get back into the sodering...oooops, I mean soldering route again......thanks for tight explanation on the Churchill, a pleasure to read.

Keep it up.

Simon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Soeren said:

Thanks for the explanations and pictures. Nice update as well. The intakes on the side are also lamellar and soldered?

I hope it helps you and yes intakes which comprises of mesh and a frame are soldered.

18 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

All looking good mate.......I started my PE upgrading back in the States when I use to live there until 2014, and took the soldering approach......or "sodering", as the Americans use to call it...:huh:......I used that method on my Sturer Emil. But found after I did the fenders, the vast majority was smaller parts. I think when I add fenders to some kits I have planned, I'll get back into the sodering...oooops, I mean soldering route again......thanks for tight explanation on the Churchill, a pleasure to read.

Keep it up.

Simon.

Tried the super glue and found it a hit and miss to get it right 

Next up was to make the doors open on the drivers hatch 

fIzVJw.jpg

oXTvZU.jpg

ppV7vX.jpg

2NE0UW.jpg

Then added the mesh guards for the intakes then installed the 75 mm gun

2T8UxP.jpg

JmBZ5w.jpg

Then found a site on Facebook called "The Churchill Trust" and they are restoring a Mk 111 and Mk 1V Churchill and have loads of pictures so I see I have made a few mistakes and the Resicast engine was not correct so I have decided to make my own here is the start, so the fun begins

GBPfqm.jpg

yGwXfd.jpg

JW6Ikf.jpg

Until next time,

Regards

Richard

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Kris B said:

Wonderful. Please make as many photos as you can from engine building process. 

Thanks for looking in Kris, will do.

Regards

Richard

You certainly have a project going Richard.  Building an engine from scratch???  The photo etch looks amazing and sure is lots of it, hate that fiddly stuff sometimes though

but it really looks impressive as the plastic detail just doesn't look scale in lots of places.  Keep it coming, it's going to be a masterpiece.

BTW, what is that big white rubber-tired beast in the background?

Take care, sure is nice to see the sun in AB for a day or two but streets are really sloppy, "up periscope" in some places.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Fantastic job so far, could I ask what make of drill bit you used on the tracks? As I've got a set for a Sherman and I've not had much success.

• Like 1

Well, your sodered :P soldered PE is excellent !!

I tried soldering last year but without much success ... I probably need to practice a bit to achieve such a nice result.

Cheers, E

• Like 1