HMS Rodney with Shagbat: Mainmast

11 hours ago, Nick Charnock said:

That's looking great mate. Question, are you soldering any of the brass or using superglue?

Cheers

Nick

Nick, Thank you! I’m using thick superglue for point to point or for face to face surfaces, thin superglue for seams or line surfaces, and Future for really delicate parts with low risk of handling stress.

Cheers,  Tom

On 3/25/2018 at 6:07 AM, clive_t said:

Erm... :gobsmacked:

That's astounding! You must be a surgeon with your own personal electron microscope!

If the size of the model wasn't enough to dissuade me from following in your footsteps, this degree of intricacy would do it for sure! I shall instead content myself with following, and looking on in awe and wonderment.

Well done sir!

Clive,

You are very kind! Much appreciated.

Cheers,  Tom

I've been quietly plugging away at this, focusing on making the brass behave. An amazing number of pieces go into each installment, but it's getting there!

Cheers, Tom

qqq-3-04647.jpg

qqq-3-04653.jpg

qqq-3-04651.jpg

qqq-3-04654.jpg

qqq-3-04657.jpg

qqq-3-04658.jpg

Edited by uncarina
  • Like 9

Chris,

Thanks! The Pontos set has them but they are direct replacements, very fiddly to align, and look the same under paint. I found it easier just to drill out the kit barrels.

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of an update: the four main searchlights, and most of the mainmast. Each part consists of approximately a googleplex of brass parts, intense scrutiny, numerous glances at the Pontos instructions, adding glue, removing extra glue, realizing the alignment is off, detaching, cleaning, reapplying. But it is fun! I've painted the searchlights to avoid masking later.

Cheers, Tom

qq-3-04659.jpg

qq-3-04671.jpg

qq-3-04673.jpg

qq-3-04674.jpg

qq-3-04676.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

wonderful work , 🏛️

I believe ( from Raven Roberts - British Battleships from 1976 ) that the Aft main Mast and substantial deck parts , searchlights  and boats were from Admiralty

material that was bought and stored for the 3 cancelled HMS Hood sisters from 1918 - then was going to be re-used for the 4 Design G-3 Battlecruisers that were then cancelled in 1921

due to the Famous Treaty of 1922 at Washington

you can see the First World War era vintage from the Original Ship - HMS Hood

if you compare them to HMS Rodney / Nelson - especially the rear Main Mast )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1