1/48 Canberra PR9 or TT Mk.18

Well I’ve been scratching my head on what to build next and as usual I ended up confused and undecided! So I impulsively grabbed two from the shelf that are long overdue to be built. But which one? If anybody has a preference let me know, If not will start one by the end of the week. These both interest me as my old dad worked on both.
Greg

two%20canberras_zps0g6xfin0.jpg

• Like 5

both of course...

I assume they both build into very big models :devil:

but I guess the CA one is the more challenging, so gets my vote!

Edited by exdraken

I'm biased, but I way much prefer the Classic Airframes option as a kit.  It is harder to build, being low volume, but I dislike the toyish finish of the Airfix kit, there is some nice resin with the CA kit.

Also I'm a huge St Mawgan 7 squadron TT.18 fan, so there is absolutely no contest for me, especially as there are options for two of their schemes in the box!

@canberra kid will probably give you a completely different opinion!

Edited by 71chally
added words to make coherent!
  • Like 1

Both will come out about 16 inches by 17 inches (the PR. 9 closer to 18 inches “square”).

I vote for the PR. 9 in high gloss Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey and Light Aircraft Grey with “Type D” (red, white and blue) national markings.

The Airfix kit isn’t without its challenges either; guess how I know.....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I'm biased, but I way much prefer the Classic Airframes option as a kit.  It is harder to build, being low volume, but I dislike the toyish finish of the Airfix kit, there is some nice resin with the CA kit.

Also I'm huge St Mawgan 7 squadron TT.18 fan, so there is absolutely no contest for, especially as there are options for two of their schemes in the box!

@canberra kid will probably give you a completely different opinion!

I'd go for the TT,18 too James, wich as it happens I am right now, but Greg it all depends on how much effort you want to expend on 'A' building and 'B' putting right inaccuracies and adding missing details. If you want a quick relatively easy build go with the PR.9 out of the box it looks like a PR.9 but if you want to get it right you will need to add a lot of extra work the CA. Kit is 'more accurate' out of the box but not an easy build. 

John     

• Like 2

TT it is then boys and girls, its one that I did favour slightly.

I had started to cast resin parts from the CA kit to replaced some of the Airfix parts. These will now be put away in the spares box for now for when the PR. 9 gets built.

CA%20resin%20parts%20to%20mould_zpsacruaCA%20resin%20seat_zpsd5gicjje.jpgsilicone%20poured_zps5ktwwtoo.jpgCA%20parts%20moulded_zpsz4j7lcok.jpg

Looking at the CA kit the main resin wheels look odd, whereas the Airfix wheels look better, pictures will follow. Will have to look later in detail at this.

Haven't decided on which scheme for the TT yet but, will take notes on the suggestions put forward. I'm making this up as I go along, which is always dangerous.

Thanks Greg.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DenPhill said:

Looking at the CA kit the main resin wheels look odd, whereas the Airfix wheels look better, pictures will follow. Will have to look later in detail at this.

You just jogged my memory, they are wrong.

However you get two different main wheel designs in the PR.9 kit, the multi spoke ones are right for TT.18 (and B.2) so you can use them.  They are probably the nicest thing about that kit.

Love that casting work, be a good business for Canberra bits!

By the way, it depends how fussy you are, but I came up with a way to do the tailplanes (a weak point with both kits) as they are on the original aircraft, might suit someone with your skills,

edit,

wheel looks like this!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-EE-Canberra-B2-Bomber-Aircraft-Undercarriage-Wheel-Coffee-Table-/142482541149

Edited by 71chally

James beat me to it, the Airfix B.2 wheels are excellent! If you compers the ones in your PR.9 kit with the CA ones you will see. If you want some reference for the TT.18 inside and out take a look around my site, I have plenty of TT.18 photos including cockpit, seats, wheels, and airframe and winch pack. IPMS UK Canberra SIG. One thing if you intend using the bits you've just cast for the PR.9 the only bits you can use are the wheel wells, the seat is the wrong type (it's not 100% for the B.2/TT.18 eather) as are the engine compressor, but you could put them to one side for when you build an Airfix B.2, which you will!

John

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

You just jogged my memory, they are wrong.

However you get two different main wheel designs in the PR.9 kit, the multi spoke ones are right for TT.18 (and B.2) so you can use them.  They are probably the nicest thing about that kit.

Love that casting work, be a good business for Canberra bits!

By the way, it depends how fussy you are, but I came up with a way to do the tailplanes (a weak point with both kits) as they are on the original aircraft, might suit someone with your skills,

edit,

wheel looks like this!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-EE-Canberra-B2-Bomber-Aircraft-Undercarriage-Wheel-Coffee-Table-/142482541149

Hi, Thanks for that. I've ordered the Aries set which are the Hurricane type wheels. Hope I've not messed up? Did the Mk 18 have both styles or not?

Greg.

20 hours ago, canberra kid said:

James beat me to it, the Airfix B.2 wheels are excellent! If you compers the ones in your PR.9 kit with the CA ones you will see. If you want some reference for the TT.18 inside and out take a look around my site, I have plenty of TT.18 photos including cockpit, seats, wheels, and airframe and winch pack. IPMS UK Canberra SIG. One thing if you intend using the bits you've just cast for the PR.9 the only bits you can use are the wheel wells, the seat is the wrong type (it's not 100% for the B.2/TT.18 eather) as are the engine compressor, but you could put them to one side for when you build an Airfix B.2, which you will!

John

Thanks John, Let me know if I mess up anywhere. My train of thought was to replace the Airfix pilots seat offering. The Airfix parts for the nav seat were going to be used as is. The cast compressors units were going to be cannibalized, cast a few of these to mess around with. Thanks for the Link, some fantastic photos.

Greg 

After crashing out three times with Photobucket it worked four time around.

The plastic count in the CA kit is low, but the amount of work to clean these parts up more than makes up for that. As you can see in the photo the surface detail fades in and out places, re-scribe? No way. I will let the final paint job give interest to the surface.

The trailing edges of the wing parts are to thick and need thinning down on both parts.

The front cowl parts will be attached to their relevant wing parts first. Then these upper and lower cowl,wing assemblies will be glued, resin wheel bays fixed before hand of course. I'm hoping by assembling this way I will get a better fit on both upper and lower cowls to the wing root.

The beautiful resin u/c bays are cleaned up and test fitted to the wings, perfect fit.

Greg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DenPhill said:

I've ordered the Aries set which are the Hurricane type wheels. Hope I've not messed up? Did the Mk 18 have both styles or not?

Ooops, they are the wrong type for the TT.18 Greg.

It's the type with lots of thin spokes, and the kit ones are very good.  I can get the sprue numbers if needed.

I think (and John will be able to correct me) that the Hurricane type was aircraft with the superior Maxaret braking set up, so B.6 family and upwards.

Nice work so far, you did say you like a challenge?!

Also, bin Photobucket, they are a right bunch of so and sos, Flickr is a far more secure platform.

• Like 2

As Jamas says, unfortunately they are wrong for the TT.18 unless you build WJ614 or WK126 after they went to the USA, but all is not lost you can now ues the Airfix B.2 wheels and save the resin ones for your PR.9. The wheels you want from the PR.9 kit are the ones on the right in the photo. Good work so far!

p7cZR6.jpg

John

• Like 2

Hello, sorry I've not been on for some days. Work has been very busy at the moment, shouldn't complain. The U/C openings have been thinned downed around the edges, give a more realist edge.

canberra%20uc%20trimed_zpsqja84phh.jpg

The cowls and wings took a lot of trimming and test fitting before committing to glue. The cowls to the wings have been strengthened because the mating surface look weak.

canberra%20cowl%20supports_zpsjaaw9bli.j

The only filler used was some liquid plastic to fill the odd very small seam.

canberra%20wings%20and%20cowls_zpsflkvq2

The joins are painted and everything looks good.

canberra%20cowls%20painted_zpsaf7nyxhw.j

The wheel bays are painted. The resin parts look fantastic, but looking at photographs some differences show themselves. For example wrong shape reservoir bottle and only one shown in left hand bay, nothing on the right?

canberra%20wheel%20bays%20painted_zpsszi

• Like 3

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, canberra kid said:

As Jamas says, unfortunately they are wrong for the TT.18 unless you build WJ614 or WK126 after they went to the USA, but all is not lost you can now ues the Airfix B.2 wheels and save the resin ones for your PR.9. The wheels you want from the PR.9 kit are the ones on the right in the photo. Good work so far!

p7cZR6.jpg

John

Thanks for that, will do.

Greg

• Like 1

canberra%20resin%20bays%20fixed_zps7dpip

The wings went together with not much fuss.

canberra%20wings%20glued_zpszp3x5nmb.jpg

The crude landing gear needs a lot cleaning up.

canberra%20uc%20parts_zpsywpixlba.jpg

The undercarriage looks a little sparse so have added some interest to these parts. The bad sink marks on either side of the doors are filled in. Will look better when painted and assembled.

canberra%20uc%20made%20up_zpssqfq7ynv.jp

I've added some starter exhausts, still deciding on how to add the fairing screws.

canberra%20front%20fairings_zpszup1iggf.

Just a dry fit of the resin parts. These parts will be one of the last items added to the Canberra.

canberra%20fairings%20added_zps6g5csjo2.

• Like 3