AZ models P-36 kits; are all the same plastic in the box?

Wm Blecky

Can anyone confirm if the AZ model P-36 kits are all the same regardless of boxing? - ie, the same sprues regardless of what it is packaged in the box as but with just different decals depending on the boxing?

I want to build a Finnish P-36 and have an opportunity for a P-36A or P-36C kit at a reasonable price. I hope that I can build either as the Finnish version.

Hello

Jack, you are right. Despite claims on the website I posted the link to about ˝New parts˝ for Finish P-36 kit, those trees seem to contain parts needed for P-36 A, P-36 C and corresponding export versions (uncovered and covered propeller boss, two types of pitot tube, blisters for spent cartridges ...). My apologies, I should have been more thorough. Cheers

Jure

Jure, yes I can't tell for certain because of the photo quality of the sprue trees, but the instructions for both  look to have all the same details.  We need the opinion of someone who has both kits in front of them.  I think also a member of AZ Models has an account here, so another option is to private message him.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Wm,

From the photos of the sprue shots, it appears any of  the currently released AZ P-36 kits can be built as an H-75A-1 thru A-3: all were powered by the P&W R-1830 twin row radial. You just need to check a photo of  the one you want to model for armament fit, type of prop boss, and exhaust stack arrangement. The later H-75A-4 and beyond were fitted with the CW R-1820 single row radial, so had a different exhaust, cowl flap, vents, and cowling. I have attached a link that describes the variants of the P-36/H-75 that might be useful, along with photos. be careful, though- the photo of the P-36 in bare metal that is in the Duxford collection has been fitted with a paddle blade prop from an FM-2, which is NOT correct for any H-75 version! (Bet it increased the climb rate, though!) A thought- if you are modeling a Finnish H-75 that had the long, pointed prop dome, you can use one off of an Academy, Hasegawa, Tamiya, or Lindberg P-47D kit, as the prop dome  on any of those kits will work on your Curtiss

Mike

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=155

Edited by 72modeler
corrected typo
  • Like 3