M4 Early Production in 1/48

My first entry for this GB is Tamiya's M4 Sherman Early Production in 1/48.

I'm still relatively new to armour modelling, so I won't be trying to do anything sepcial. It will be pretty much a straightbuild from the box, but adding crew and some stowage.  I'll even be using the kit markings for a vehicle from C Coy. 756th Tank Bn, 5th Army in Italy during February 1944.

Oh...   by the way...   this one might seem to prgress quickly.  It's an illusion.  I actually started the model at the beginning of the GB.  I'm just catching up documenting it.  I'm building this in parallel with a Hobby Boss M4A3 which you may find occasionally photobombing the thread.

So let's start off with the box and the sprues.

M4-001.JPG

M4-002.JPG

M4-003.JPG

There are two of the following sprues in the box.

M4-004.JPG

And the lower hull is diecast metal.

M4-005.JPG

• Like 3

On to the painting.  I know I'm going to open a :worms: here...   But I had issues with Olive Drab.

I tried numerous paints.  The Lifecolor OD shading set produced colours that looked just to green to me.   Tamiya XF-62 seemed far too dark.  Tamiya XF-49 was far too light. 

In the end I choose Lifecolor UA219 US Army Olive Drab, which seems to me to have a brownish tinge.

M4-008.JPG

It was then roughly sprayed freehand with Lifecolor UA218 Giallo Sabbia Scuro

M4-009.JPG

• Like 7

Just got a bit of Wifi, Enzo nice start and good to see the comparison. As for the correct colour looking at photos it all depends how open to the elements they are, as unless your looking at the tank museum at bovington the paint colour are all different.

• Like 1

The model is actually finished, but I still need to document the build.

The next stage was to assemble the tracks.  I really like Tamiya's approach.  The plastic components were painted with Vallejo Panzer Aces Track Primer

M4-014.JPG

and then simply fitted.

M4-015.JPG

M4-016.JPG

• Like 1