1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Not only is overall white no fun to paint, it's no fun to photograph. No more overall white for me! I admit defeat.

Can only echo my comments in the WIP thread Bill. This is simply outstanding 

Now about that comment above, you are joking of course ...... We all need that Valiant!

Terry

• Like 1

Not only is overall white no fun to paint, it's no fun to photograph. No more overall white for me! I admit defeat.

Now about that comment above, you are joking of course ...... We all need that Valiant!

Terry

Terry

• Like 1

Terry

Terry

An absolutely breathtaking model.   I've looked back over your WIP and am amazed at the quality of your work.  I think the panel line highlighting looks absolutely spot-on when compared to the real thing, as does the sheen of the finish. If my kit, which has been lurking in the stash for over 10 years(!), comes out at even a fraction of the class of yours I'll be happy. 

P.S.  The photography looks great. 

• Like 1

I agree, one of the best TSR2 builds out there. Good job also on mitigating the depth of many of those atrociously deep panel lines. Overpainting the too-dark panel lines was brilliant. I will keep that in mind when i build my next big white shiny project....whenever that is.

-d-

• Like 1

22 hours ago, giemme said:

She did turn out great in the end, Bill :clap: And so did your pics

Thanks Giorgio! I'm still waiting for your A-10 to be finished - get to work!    :)  :)

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Incredible build :worthy: ... I know little of the aircraft other than it shared a similar fate to that of the CF-105 Arrow. 

Thanks - it seems the late 50s and early 60s saw quite a few projects that either never got off the drawing board, made it only to mock-up stage, or were cancelled after the prototypes were flown. In addition to the BAC TSR.2 and CF-105, I can add projects like the North American XB-70 & XF-108, Republic XF-103, North American F-107, Bell XF-109, Vought XF8U-3, and I'm sure there were many Soviet and European projects that I'm not familiar with. In some cases new missile technology made the planners change their other mind, but so many simply fell to economics - the host nation just couldn't afford to do all these things.

18 hours ago, stever219 said:

Blow some more of Mrs Navy Bird's shoe and handbag money on a bigger display case: you're worth it!

Ooohh, I hope she didn't hear you say that. However, I am letting her go on some chocolate tour while I'm at the RAF museum with @CedB, so I think that should be sufficient justification.

I did get everyone's subtle message - a bigger display case it shall be! (I'll let you in on a nasty secret though - I recently binned five 1:48 scale Phantoms that I built in the mid-70s. These were built before I knew what I was doing, and had sprouted these nasty brown stains around the decals. I wonder if this is some residue from the decal adhesive or the setting solutions that yellow with age? Anyway I needed the space. They were the old Monogram and ESCI kits I think. And maybe Italeri, too - one was the Testors F-4G.)

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks, Terry. Judging by the number of times you posted your desire for me to build the Valiant, I shall pull out the box and take a look at her again. But no white, please! Aren't there some HSS or Grey/Green schemes?    :)

9 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

An absolutely breathtaking model.   I've looked back over your WIP and am amazed at the quality of your work.  I think the panel line highlighting looks absolutely spot-on when compared to the real thing, as does the sheen of the finish. If my kit, which has been lurking in the stash for over 10 years(!), comes out at even a fraction of the class of yours I'll be happy. 

P.S.  The photography looks great. 

Thanks so much! I used Floquil Flat Finish for the final varnish, and despite its name it provides a satin, eggshell-like sheen. I've always used this stuff for any 1:72 scale models that are supposed to be shiny in real-life. To me, most high-gloss finishes on small models (not that the 1:72 TSR.2 is small) don't look right. I think there's a "scale effect" for gloss. Floquil, of course, is no longer manufactured by the evil parent of Testors, so I have to buy it off of eBay at crazy prices. I have 6 bottles in stock, and the last one cost me 15 bucks. Who woulda thunk - collectible paint!

2 hours ago, David H said:

I agree, one of the best TSR2 builds out there. Good job also on mitigating the depth of many of those atrociously deep panel lines. Overpainting the too-dark panel lines was brilliant. I will keep that in mind when i build my next big white shiny project....whenever that is.

I've gotten away from panel line washes recently, but I had to do something with that big white monotone. I made up a wash from Gunze H338 (which is a very light grey) but even it looked too dark. Over-spraying with highly diluted white allows you to tone it down to the shade you want, and seals it in the process. I do the same thing with models where I've post-shaded with Gunze Smoke Grey, like on my Buccaneer S.1:

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful compliments. I'm not sure what I'll build next, but I'm thinking something smaller with a propeller or two.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm still waiting for your A-10 to be finished - get to work!   

I know, I know, but life amd work are slowing me down a bit :shrug::)

Looking forward to your next build :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

Awesome model ! build, details, painting and weathering job etc... all is perfectly done !  :worthy:

Your models are a real source of inspiration ! 

Ivan 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks, Terry. Judging by the number of times you posted your desire for me to build the Valiant, I shall pull out the box and take a look at her again. But no white, please! Aren't there some HSS or Grey/Green schemes?    :)

Ah yes, the multiple posts........ I'm afraid thats what happens when I try and comment here on my phone on a long train journey with dodgy on train wi-fi!

Yes early HSS or Grey/Green would work! Something smaller with a prop sounds interesting, cant wait!

Cheers Bill

Terry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks Giorgio! I'm still waiting for your A-10 to be finished - get to work!    :)  :)

Thanks - it seems the late 50s and early 60s saw quite a few projects that either never got off the drawing board, made it only to mock-up stage, or were cancelled after the prototypes were flown. In addition to the BAC TSR.2 and CF-105, I can add projects like the North American XB-70 & XF-108, Republic XF-103, North American F-107, Bell XF-109, Vought XF8U-3, and I'm sure there were many Soviet and European projects that I'm not familiar with. In some cases new missile technology made the planners change their other mind, but so many simply fell to economics - the host nation just couldn't afford to do all these things.

Ooohh, I hope she didn't hear you say that. However, I am letting her go on some chocolate tour while I'm at the RAF museum with @CedB, so I think that should be sufficient justification.

I did get everyone's subtle message - a bigger display case it shall be! (I'll let you in on a nasty secret though - I recently binned five 1:48 scale Phantoms that I built in the mid-70s. These were built before I knew what I was doing, and had sprouted these nasty brown stains around the decals. I wonder if this is some residue from the decal adhesive or the setting solutions that yellow with age? Anyway I needed the space. They were the old Monogram and ESCI kits I think. And maybe Italeri, too - one was the Testors F-4G.)

Thanks so much! I used Floquil Flat Finish for the final varnish, and despite its name it provides a satin, eggshell-like sheen. I've always used this stuff for any 1:72 scale models that are supposed to be shiny in real-life. To me, most high-gloss finishes on small models (not that the 1:72 TSR.2 is small) don't look right. I think there's a "scale effect" for gloss. Floquil, of course, is no longer manufactured by the evil parent of Testors, so I have to buy it off of eBay at crazy prices. I have 6 bottles in stock, and the last one cost me 15 bucks. Who woulda thunk - collectible paint!

I've gotten away from panel line washes recently, but I had to do something with that big white monotone. I made up a wash from Gunze H338 (which is a very light grey) but even it looked too dark. Over-spraying with highly diluted white allows you to tone it down to the shade you want, and seals it in the process. I do the same thing with models where I've post-shaded with Gunze Smoke Grey, like on my Buccaneer S.1:

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful compliments. I'm not sure what I'll build next, but I'm thinking something smaller with a propeller or two.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

How about the Boeing F8B from Valom?

-d-

• Like 1

Great result Bill, looks a real treat and as David points out the subtle panel line washes certainly work well. Photographing all-white models can be quite problematic as they often play havoc with the WB and light settings and you can end up with all sorts of tones and hues. I use pro studio strobes and white/grey colour reference cards and the images can still have issues. 

• Like 1