MiG-21PFM, 927th `Lam Son`, NVAF, May 1972

Hi Everyone, 

At last I`ve finished my attempt at Eduards 1/48 MiG-21 and managed to get some pic`s whilst the weather cleared briefly.

qMHm4R0.jpg

Built from the PFM Profipack boxing and finished to represent an aircraft of: 927th `Lam Son`, NVAF,  piloted by Le Thanh Dao, 10th May 1972

6om3m7p.jpg

Really well detailed kit that seemed to fight me right up until the end, too many almost microscopic parts for my liking which often pinged away into some other reality or were impossible to hold and file down.....

YlwDbJN.jpg

...and ended up being replaced with bits of wire and scraps of plastic. The Photo Etch, which I normally dread worked really well by comparison.

fvR2oM9.jpg

The last thing that happened was the gunsight disappeared at some point after being glued to the windscreen frame right at the end of the build, so I had to cobble one together from bits and pieces.......

IsZRpWs.jpg

........then fit it after the screen and seat had been fitted.

YME9XlJ.jpg

The scheme isn`t one of the kit options and is one that caught my eye in Ospreys MiG-21 Units of the Vietnam war book,   Bort No`s came from the stash.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

A great kit in an unusual came scheme I have never seen before and yours looks great; excellent MIG 21. Just an obseravtion and maybe it's the camera angle, but is the EJ seat sitting a bit high?

Gary

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

Very nice, the first pic to me shows a brooding menace of a plane! What’s next for the collection?

Cheers FF,

Re what`s next, there`s a Mitchell Strafer, Sikorsky H-19 and a Texan on the go at the moment, all at different stages of completion, probably see the Texan first but you never know.

Thanks again,  Russ

12 minutes ago, redcap said:

A great kit in an unusual came scheme I have never seen before and yours looks great; excellent MIG 21. Just an obseravtion and maybe it's the camera angle, but is the EJ seat sitting a bit high?

Gary

Thanks Gary, I`m not sure about the seat, Eduard give you a piece that fits under the seat if you have the canopy open, so I put it in. I assume the seat raises with the canopy to improve ease of access ?

Others may know more.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Thanks Gary, I`m not sure about the seat, Eduard give you a piece that fits under the seat if you have the canopy open, so I put it in. I assume the seat raises with the canopy to improve ease of access ?

Others may know more.

Cheers Russ

That makes sense Russ - irrespective I think it looks tremendous!

Gary

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mario said:

Very nice, Russ! Have never seen a North Vietnamese MiG 21 in such a scheme. Thought all were NMF or NMF with some green mottling.

Cheers,

Mario

Thanks Mario, re, schemes: as well as those, there were also all over grey, all over grey with no markings except nation insignia and also the usual Eastern Bloc camo`. there were also all over dark green ones like mine with only nation insignia. I nearly went for the all over grey myself.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Thanks Mario, re, schemes: as well as those, there were also all over grey, all over grey with no markings except nation insignia and also the usual Eastern Bloc camo`. there were also all over dark green ones like mine with only nation insignia. I nearly went for the all over grey myself.

Cheers Russ

Perhaps they were redirected from other Warsw Pact countries to North Vietnam? Have seen something similar with South Vietnamese Freedom Fighters in desert camo which were actually built for the Iranian airforce.