Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane.

stevej60

Hi folk's,as mentioned in chat It's been a good six month's since I did a 1/48 scale kit and nearly as long since I did anything other than a Matchbox

or Frog aircraft kit.As a lover of Airfix's newer tool 1/48 kit it was a logical choice for this GB and a return to this scale.

40597424952_ed3f6c02db_o.jpg

Love the box art on this issue,the kit is well known to most now and there are a few incarnation's in this GB,I want to take my time with this one 

and won't start till the Hunter's done which will be a week or two.

• Like 8

Nice to see a Sea Hurricane joining this GB Steve and your previous experience with the kit makes me think we are in for a masterclass in getting the best out of it.

• Like 1

I love this kit. It’s one of the best engineered kits I’ve ever had crossing my workbench. Having said that the front spar on mine was warped and snapped in half when I tried to straighten it. No problem as I just glued in the two halves!

Must finish my MK.I soon.

Trevor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's got a bit of the Hunter done today it's  nearing completion so started cleaning up the main part's of the Hurricane and assembly of the 

u/c bay and cockpit.

26007376377_0a6e44aa1a_b.jpg

• Like 7

Hi folk's bit of progress wheel well build as well as cockpit,sprayed Tamiya flat aluminium and interior green where applicable.

40013153665_40b7f3b7c9_b.jpg

Last job of the session was glueing the upper wing's in place which tonight have dried nicely so tape has come off.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Col. said:

Seems to be coming together well for you Steve.

It's a pretty trouble free built up to the wing/fuselage joining Col,then it can get tricky.

9 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looking good. Would you recommend the kit?

I certainly would HB,not 100% without it's issues but i'm not a rivet counter so I can live with it I still think it's the best in scale,the wing/fuelage

assembly can be  stressfull  with the cockpit framing but with care should be fine,the only thing I notice about this boxing is a harder slightly

grainier plastic than the early version's of the kit and as with all the releases great decal's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Steve. I'm slightly ahead of you with mine - I've got the fuselage and wings together. I think "with care should be fine" sums it up pretty well. The plastic is definitely different - due to warped wings in my Sea Hurricane kit I'm combining the wings from the first release with the Sea Hurricane kit and the difference is noticeable. Interestingly different sprues in my Sea Hurricane kit are in slightly different shades of grey as well. As you say, not 100% without its issues, but with a little care and a little fettling I think it's going to come together quite nicely.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zebra said:

Nice work Steve. I'm slightly ahead of you with mine - I've got the fuselage and wings together. I think "with care should be fine" sums it up pretty well. The plastic is definitely different - due to warped wings in my Sea Hurricane kit I'm combining the wings from the first release with the Sea Hurricane kit and the difference is noticeable. Interestingly different sprues in my Sea Hurricane kit are in slightly different shades of grey as well. As you say, not 100% without its issues, but with a little care and a little fettling I think it's going to come together quite nicely.

You know I thought that as I've just popped over to your build and thought those wing's looked like original's,I should get a bit done today once I reach the paint stage

I'll prime then spray the forward fuselage and wing's silver,then Maskol for the wing walkway's to show wear and a little chipping here and there over the access panel's.

• Like 1

Hi folk's need to pop out for paint later seemed to have ran out of a few basic colour's got a few minutes on a couple of build's and time to add that

headrest to the bulkhead.

27047415708_868c98549d_b.jpg

40216319464_bcf6aef691_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

Hi folk's moved on a bit,painted the seat/headrest assembly and if you don't want the expense of AM harness etc all I do is cut masking tape

and once placed where you want it get a sharp pencil and draw on however much detail you want run it down the side's to get a bit of depth,

not 100% accurate but under the canopy look's fine.

40953587431_461e200531_b.jpg

And a little bending and twisting get's the wing's on and here's where I got to today.

26081120867_fc8cba8ee3_b.jpg

Now I have to say I don't like this new plastic,not having seen any of the recent Airfix kit's I'm not sure if it's the norm of all their new kit's but I much

prefer the softer bluer plastic of recent year's I also think this is the poorest fit if the four i've built.

• Like 9

Evening folk's good progress today(the missus was out all day) as I usually do primed the whole model in the undersurface colour,gone on nice

and smooth and tried all sort's of ideas to recreate that plate behind the spinner  and was just going to forget the thing as nothing worked then I

hit on the idea of using the prop back plate from the kit that doesn't apply to this version so thinned down by running it over a sheet of wet'ndry 

and it does for me!

40080437575_1d41a62cb0_b.jpg

Not the best photo but the prop pushed on in line where it should be hope you can make out where the plate sit's taller than the hub

and fuselage.

39165209010_9de6342f05_b.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

You have achieved a nice flat , smooth finish, what paints are you using? Good idea on the back plate as well, nice work.

Thank's Mark I'm using my usual Tamiya paint's,Sky based but a touch of Deck Tan mixed then thinned,using Ocean gray darkened with Medium 

blue I have got the upper surface sprayed after masking so from now on it's down to brush painting as I prefer it to all that masking etc.Popped on the canopy

for a dry run and cockpit look's just busy enough.

40974602951_fd2ceb186a_b.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Col. said:

Tidy work and smart thinking for the oil shield Steve.

Thank's Col,should get the slate gray on at the weekend wheel's etc all painted ready to fit,just been admiring Tim's Pegasus Hurricane,I feel another

entry coming on!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Col,should get the slate gray on at the weekend wheel's etc all painted ready to fit,just been admiring Tim's Pegasus Hurricane,I feel another

entry coming on!

There's always room for another Hurricane in this GB Steve :D 

• Like 1