Aer Turas Britannia

Thank you very much for your kind comments one and all. I knew I would leave the important model information out, sorry,  It is of course the Roden 1/144th kit and I cant get enough of them because its a very good rendition of this classic aircraft. The bonus for me is the large range of decals produced by Ray at 26decals especially as in this case aircraft that I have worked on.

I'm liking all these Britannias we're seeing in RFI!

Are you going to model all the liveries Ray has released for the Britannia? That would make quite an impressive lineup.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Ian

What a great job, love it.. One of our old RAF 99 and 511 Sqn Brits, XM491. I worked on in 72-73, Brize Norton.

Made my day ! Thanks !

12 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

They only had two - EI-BAA and EI-BBH. BBH was ex-RAF. BAA was ex BOAC and some other airlines.

Quite correct Eric, we had them both to look after at Manston and I seem to remember BAA looking rether tired in comparison with BBH.

12 hours ago, bzn20 said:

What a great job, love it.. One of our old RAF 99 and 511 Sqn Brits, XM491. I worked on in 72-73, Brize Norton.

Made my day ! Thanks !

All the ex RAF machines were in such good condition when they started to come through, and strangely enough as in the case of Aer Tures and Invicta most of the later operators only flew one or two aircraft only. I have to say that I think Young Cargo did for most of the RAF one's.

1 hour ago, Britman said:

Young Cargo did for most of the RAF one's

I'd have to check but from memory there was Redcoat ,they had some  and an African outfit African Safari? Might be getting mixed up now , could  have been ex BOAC/Eagle kites.

One R/coat crashed with an ex RAF Bzn Brit crew on it. Just remembered a Ghanaian outfit ,Basic RAF scheme with added Ghanaian flag. Gemini A/cargo ?

RIP

Edited by bzn20

Brings back memories of a flight from Gatwick to RAF Wildenwrath in the 1960s on a BUA aircraft (I think).

As a troop transport all the seats faced aft, which seemed strange. 

From Wildenwrath we were ferried to Gutersloh : 200km in a 3 tonne truck. 

The Britannia was an elegant, beautiful airliner, your model does it justice! 

Edited by 224 Peter
Correction

A few other Britannias ended up on the Irish register - EI-BCI and EI-BDC.  BDC ended up in a field just short of the runway at Shannon. It was operated by a company called Interconnair and had some of its engines go into reverse thrust on approach to land.