Italeri Ford Transit Mk.2 LWB Van Conversion

The Dale Stem Light model arrived a couple of days ago from Shapeways, this sits atop the Police Incident Unit & Fire versions of the Transit. Just add a blue light from the recently released Police version of Italeri's kit. 

133106.jpg

• Like 1

Some parts required a bit of reshaping so another test fit was in order after a primer coat, nearly on the finishing straight. There are some internal roof and rear corner braces to trim and fit before final body assembly.

154116.jpg

• Like 8

So Mark, about the roof, how did that come about? 3D printed, sculpted, slice and dice? Don't want you to reveal any trade secrets or is it one of those "I could tell you but......I'd have to kill you" deals?   LOL

It's really, really looking great. I have thought about this conversion for a long time but never thought my skills were up to the task. Am very glad you are taking the time to do it right, as you have done with all your product. 

Can't wait!

Ah yes the roof, the damn roof. It was a mix of cobbled together 3D modelling and hand finishing. No doubt someone with more CAD skills could have done it as a one shot item but it's come out better than I could have hoped for, it's even got the over cab headliner moulded in. The roof braces are done too as per this interior photo. This photo also shows the door jambs and cargo door inners as per the modelled parts shown earlier in the thread.

I'm just pondering the worth of doing the CAD model for the roof rack on the Rally Barge?

Pete - I'd keep an eye on FB.

094400.jpeg

The roof brace bars have been installed and with a tapering roof line they are all slightly different. The beam with lozenge shaped holes at the back end was seen in a reference photo of a van with a one piece door, I have not been able to establish if it was standard on all lwb versions. It won't be that visible but I wanted to include it just in case.

193812.jpg

On 4/3/2018 at 10:48 AM, mbdesignart said:

Pete - I'd keep an eye on FB

I don't do FB. I have enough trouble keeping up with events on here.

The roof lining over just the cab always struck me as penny pinching.

That strengthening bar would make sense for a one piece door fit.

I just remembered I saw a Mk1 in Spalding the other day. The cab was

pretty much as new, but it was a camper van rear, so maybe low mileage.

Do I spy the door handles to be replaced later? Certainly a bit of a weak point on the kit. Likewise, some funky Ford seat moquette/fabric pattern decals for the seats would have been cool too.

All looking great so far and enjoying the conversion....first place I check into when I log in.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
Got my moquettes and maquettes mixed up!
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Do I spy the door handles to be replaced later? Certainly a bit of a weak point on the kit. Likewise, some funky Ford seat maquette decals for the seats would have been cool too.

All looking great so far and enjoying the conversion....first place a check into when I log in.

Steve

Yes all new door handles both inside and out. Try that spraying technique I used on the Chassis cab build, spray through some fine mesh taped to the seat for a chequered pattern and cheaper than decals.

I'm knee deep in sanding dust today after finding that opposite sides of the kit are made from differing thicknesses of plastic. Some more filling yet to do but the body shell is now together.

191407.jpg  191441.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Looking fab!

Is the side panel a butt joint, or does it need a re-enforcing strip on the inside face?

There is a moulded in strip on the resin part to overlap the joint, like in those proper plastic kits. Plus the separate door jamb piece will go over the joint as extra reinforcement. Once the roof is on it all gets tied together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

There is a moulded in strip on the resin part to overlap the joint, like in those proper plastic kits. Plus the separate door jamb piece will go over the joint as extra reinforcement. Once the roof is on it all gets tied together.

Ah! You see, that's genius at work right there. Love it! :thumbsup:

Something I've just noticed re the exterior rear view mirrors. The driver's side is mounted on the wing whereas the passenger side is door mounted, one more hole to fill, one more hole to drill. Hopefully the weather will improve over the weekend to allow some painting to be done.