Italeri Ford Transit Mk.2 LWB Van Conversion

Thanks for the logo input. I too am leaning toward Valeo as there appears to be tick under the letters as per the early style logo, I'll possibly add both, and for the black/white one maybe BF Goodrich. I don't think Yokohama were on the tyre scene then? Could be wrong, but it appears most cars of the day used Dunlop or Pirelli rubber.

Thanks Mr. Nuts your modesty does you proud. 

Panic over, a contact over the pond has sent me a photo which clearly shows the stickers as Lucas and AP Lockheed. You have to marvel at the generosity and knowledge base of the scale modelling community. Back to the drawing board...

Edited by mbdesignart
more text

Glad the conundrum got solved for you! You're certainly right though, the modelling community that we belong to is just fantastic! So many folks happy to share their respective knowledge and information!

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

Next instalment, extended rear sides [courtesy of my brother's handy work] to which I've added interior detail along with a test fit of floor/chassis to the front body/floor. The cutouts for the flared arches are to be cut out to the bead line and then the arches trimmed, fitted and fettled. Also just finished drawing up the plans for the roof rack on the Rally Barge.

200412.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yokohama sounds good to me too. 

But why are the rear arches black? 

It's as if they fitted rubber ones?

It's definitely 'AP Lockheed', I think on the Rally Van version the arches are aftermarket, maybe ABS to take the knocks, they are a totally different profile to the standard ones.  

• Like 1

Trail fit of the bits, loads of filing and sanding yet to do to get them to a finished state. Along the way we had the fortune to get measurements from the owner of an actual lwb van and found it to be slightly wider at the rear than the kit. 

135214.jpg  135151.jpg

• Like 7

Wow!!! Looks superb, great job you are showing here!! Don't know what the end result would look like, but I'm looking forward!

And I know I'll got to improve my english to give my comments but what I see helps me to get back to the Hobby

Cheers to everybody

Marco F.

• Like 1

This is looking good! I’ve spotted a second hand Esci boxing in what looks like basic British Gas markings in the Chester Model Centre......a bit pricey though! Popcorn and comfy chair ready.

I have fond memories of driving these to air shows in the 80’s for the Merseyside Aviation Society loaded with a stall, books, posters and an FA-330, the latter of which gave us free entry to airshows and we’d plonk it next to something expensive like a brand new Tornado and then catch  people’s faces.

Trevor

Trevor;

I must have visited your stall at a few airshows as I well remember seeing the FA-330 a few times. Do miss those 80s airshows!

If the second hand Transit you saw was Esci, then they still tend to be expensive. Italeri have re-popped the kit finally, and can be picked up more or less anywhere for £20 to 25.

Steve

• Thanks 1

@fightersweep

Just for you here is the only picture I took of the MAS mob from those days. It’s a rather dark photo and this is the best I can do with my iPhone manipulation tools.

40759738542_8420a539a3_b.jpg

That’s a Transit Luton I believe.

Trevor

• Like 1

Blimey you’re talking about 30 years ago! The only thing I remember was that it had been raining and that the sample posters sellotaped to the side (£1.00 each I think) became well and truly nailed on, hence the peeling appearance. That little girl in the corner helped and walked off with the larger scraps.

Getting back(ish) on topic, a panel van conversion should be quite simple?

Trevor

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Getting back(ish) on topic, a panel van conversion should be quite simple?

Trevor

You'll be wanting the LWB Chassis Cab conversion for that then? ;) The Luton box van body should be a piece of cake to knock up. People have also mentioned Bus and Ice Cream Van versions they want to build. 

• Thanks 1

Seconded! Get the Motobitz LWB Chassis cab....it's a work of art! All the hard work is done for you...the Luton body will be a doddle! (That's one of my planned builds)

Do like the idea of a minibus. Ice cream van I hadn't thought of. What a great idea! The possibilites are endless! I could do the "Mr Creamy" van I saw in North Berwick once. (genuine...me and the missus couldn't stop giggling.)

• Thanks 1

I decided there weren't enough holes cut into the van so 2 windows in the mid side doors have appeared, the stick-on templates came in handy for drilling and cutting. I wish I'd done this before dismembering the shell as it was like trying to cut into something with all the rigidity of a balloon - take note anyone planning on doing this. These windows were fitted to the Emergency Vehicle & Rally Service van versions of the LWB Transit, additionally there will be door inners and jambs too along with laser cut clear windows. To this side some Slaters micro rod has been installed as a window rubber, opposite side yet to be tackled. The external door handles will be coming off too as I've made some replacements along with those for the inside of the doors.

102805.jpg  200143.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
text edit
  • Like 4

Thanks for the continued encouragement and comments. It would be greatly appreciated if those following along would focus on the build and not add comments about 'wish lists' please, just to keep everyone in a happy place.;) 

Front doors are now glued in place, why? A. I won't be detailing the interior B. Added rigidity. Eagle eyed viewers will note the front door hinges have gone too, from past experience with my previous Italeri Transit, in my view, they are a poor design and this will avoid any fit issues with the dash later on. Also a small parcel arrived at the weekend with the mid-door inners and jambs, here's a trial loose fit. The jamb on the cutting mat goes over the join between the front and rear body sections, obviously these won't be needed for solid sided versions. These could be used as a basis for the one piece side doors which have a horizontal cross brace over the window aperture.

There are also bulkhead options which should be considered 1. None, 2. Half, up to top of the seats and 3. Full, to roof level for which a plasticard extension will need adding to the kit part. From what info I have gleaned for the Rally van, the bulkhead was fitted aft of the mid door creating a crew cab.

200729.jpg

The two chassis halves are now best buddies. Suspension components attached, stock front and part kit, part scratch bits for the rear. Also finished the new exhaust routing and positioning of the spare wheel hanger.

195456.jpg

• Like 2