DIORAMAS I WOULD LIKE TO BUILD

Getunderit

In playful mood, but actually respectful of local history; Horham was home to the 95th BG and the dispersals were remarkably close to the village. There are at least two tales of privy's (what is the plural of privy) having the doors blown away by prop-wash.

I think it could be gone with a 1:144 B-17 and an OO railway out-house kit to give a fore-shortening effect. Main think would be to sort out the 95BG markings in that scale (or any scale!!)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

@Mjwomack

I had to have a look at Google maps. Blimey! Those dispersals on the southside of the airfield were practically amongst the houses of the village. Quite unusual and must have been something to have a B-17 more or less parked in your back garden. Also stumbled across the website for the Red Feather Club...must pay that a visit next time I'm in the area...it's been a while!

Like the idea of the diorama....why not 1/72?

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 1

I've had this crazy idea for a diorama since I was 13 years old. September 18th 1983, I was taken to the 2nd Great Warbirds Air Display at West Malling. It was my first airshow and it had a big impact on me, and being the keen modeller then, all I wanted to do was build models of the aircraft I had seen that day. Didn't happen of course...the pocket money didn't stretch that far and I wouldn't have been able to get hold of half the types I needed.

Fast forward 35 years, and the idea is back and I can't shake it. I'm thinking a large board or two, with a section of West Malling in 1/72 including the tower, and as many of the aircraft that were there on the day...oh and lots of little figures, cars, marquees, military vehicles and tannoys! Not sure I could do the low overcast and rain that we had that day though.

I've committed myself now, I've just finished the first two aircraft and my 13 year old self is quite happy!

Steve

• Like 3

Ah! I have a cunning plan there. I might do a build log for the diorama base, but probably not for the aircraft. Main reason being is that I don't get loads of build time as my business takes a lot of my day up, and maintaining build logs can be quite time consuming. I need to use that time to build. My plan is to finish as many aircraft as I can by September 18th this year, the 35th anniversary of that show and post up photos of the those builds. Then I will start a build log of the diorama base's progress as it all comes together. I just need to get plans for a 5845/39 Control Tower!

Best regards;

Steve 

Edited by fightersweep

On 5/8/2018 at 7:17 PM, fightersweep said:

@Mjwomack

I had to have a look at Google maps. Blimey! Those dispersals on the southside of the airfield were practically amongst the houses of the village. Quite unusual and must have been something to have a B-17 more or less parked in your back garden. Also stumbled across the website for the Red Feather Club...must pay that a visit next time I'm in the area...it's been a while!

Like the idea of the diorama....why not 1/72?

Best regards;

Steve

Red Feather Club is fascinating, both the website and the museum. If you're planning a trip, I'd suggest aim for the weekend of 16/7 June as they've a lot on ice the 75th anniversary of the arrival of the BG; surprised that's not on their website, but as I'm meeting two of the leading lights this evening, I'll drop a hint!

Another things was that the runway went across the road on the eastern edge so everything stopped (literally) at take off time, but it was a big local event to go and watch. I very much doubt if there was anywhere quite like it for how cheek by jowl civilian and military were.

I'd always thought of doing it in split scale to give some perspective, but to emphasise the proximity all in 1:72 is a good idea. Now all I need is somewhere for 95th BG decals!

Might be a bit soon for me to be able to get there, but I hope that the event is a success! But I will get to the museum at some point, and I've had a good look at the website. It's nice to see an original site restored to it's full glory. We've lost too many old bases over the years, so it's good to see someone restoring some history. Done it myself at Earls Colne, so know all about cladding Nissen huts!

Had a good close look at Google maps again at Horham. It really is quite unusual as far as Eighth Air Force bases are concerned, to be so close to the village from which it took it's name. I bet the kids there at the time loved it!

Steve

I have just come across this discussion by chance as I spend most of my time in the maritime part of the forum. I especially like this one though, my colleague has told me a lot about the Australian FFG upgrade project as he was intimately involved in it.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:24 AM, Getunderit said:

PaMhX9y.jpg

However I am a bit more conventional and I have wanted for quite a long time to model a frigate on frigate clash from the American War of 1812, in particular the capture of USS Chesapeake by HMS Shannon. During which Chesapeake's dying captain uttered the order "Don't give up the ship" and thus created a motto for the US Navy.

42318939371_7b7879bb0d_b.jpg

I have even found a source for similar ships at 1:700 scale, all I now need is time and a much smaller stash!

• Like 4

On 5/8/2018 at 7:54 PM, fightersweep said:

I've had this crazy idea for a diorama since I was 13 years old. September 18th 1983, I was taken to the 2nd Great Warbirds Air Display at West Malling. It was my first airshow and it had a big impact on me, and being the keen modeller then, all I wanted to do was build models of the aircraft I had seen that day. Didn't happen of course...the pocket money didn't stretch that far and I wouldn't have been able to get hold of half the types I needed.

Fast forward 35 years, and the idea is back and I can't shake it. I'm thinking a large board or two, with a section of West Malling in 1/72 including the tower, and as many of the aircraft that were there on the day...oh and lots of little figures, cars, marquees, military vehicles and tannoys! Not sure I could do the low overcast and rain that we had that day though.

I've committed myself now, I've just finished the first two aircraft and my 13 year old self is quite happy!

Steve

As I was there, make sure you include me and my sister in the diorama.👍 In our 80s clothes. We were just behind the Spitfire, MH434 I think. When it started up, I was gloriously engulfed in propeller blast and fumes. Yes that was how close the aircraft were to the crowd barriers. Wouldn't happen now.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 11:08 AM, Getunderit said:

Capture warships by cavalry

FhDury3.jpg

Actually it's been done. I remember seeing a picture of it using Historex figures. Quite impressive.

My own diorama idea was based on a colour picture of a Bren Carrier parked up in Tunisia. The crew is sitting and standing around casually and there was lots of stuff scattered around. I even bought the Tamiya kit with every intention of building it. But somehow it never happened.

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORTH AFRICA, JANUARY 1943. © IWM (TR 631) IWM Non Commercial License

Edited by noelh
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, noelh said:

As I was there, make sure you include me and my sister in the diorama.👍 In our 80s clothes. We were just behind the Spitfire, MH434 I think. When it started up, I was gloriously engulfed in propeller blast and fumes. Yes that was how close the aircraft were to the crowd barriers. Wouldn't happen now.

Duly noted! I'm going to need a lot of figures for this diorama and cars too. I'll probably have to use a lot of model railway figures and Oxford diecast 70s and 80s cars and try to ignore the slight scale difference. 

Yes! the proximity of the aircraft to the barriers used to be fun. I remember buying a Flypast magazine binder from their stand at a Duxford airshow once, only to have it blown away by Lindsey Walton's F4U-7 Corsair on start up. Ruined the binder!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Duly noted! I'm going to need a lot of figures for this diorama and cars too. I'll probably have to use a lot of model railway figures and Oxford diecast 70s and 80s cars and try to ignore the slight scale difference. 

Yes! the proximity of the aircraft to the barriers used to be fun. I remember buying a Flypast magazine binder from their stand at a Duxford airshow once, only to have it blown away by Lindsey Walton's F4U-7 Corsair on start up. Ruined the binder!

Remember a particularly cold & wet Mildenhall show where several of us were competing to stand behind an A-10 when it started up.  Was like a nice warm hand dryer on a larger scale!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bar side said:

Remember a particularly cold & wet Mildenhall show 

Got me thinking. Why is there something strangely nostalgic about a cold and wet 1980s airshow? 🤔

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Got me thinking. Why is there something strangely nostalgic about a cold and wet 1980s airshow? 🤔

Maybe because we had choice AND enough of a variety in equipment to give good shows, whichever one you picked?

Plus, no such thing as bad weather, just incorrect clothing!

Yup, I too got half drowned at Mildenhall, Alconbury, Biggin, Farnborough....yada, yada, yada.......

• Like 1

A couple of dioramas I keep meaning to build.

jTQedat.jpg

kivHe88.jpg

The Hunter on the Vanguard building will be fairly familiar to anyone who uses the A40 into town (or if you don’t like aircraft, he sometimes plonks a WW1 tank on there:blink:).

Mart

• Like 3