DIORAMAS I WOULD LIKE TO BUILD

Getunderit

On 25 March 2018 at 7:36 AM, Getunderit said:

I worked out how to create the ID monster above, by making your own Head Up Display (HUD).

The HU part is an angled partition window with reflective film attached.

The D part is a thin sheet of Perspex, as a sunken lid to a box. The Persex is blacked out, except for the red light bits of the ID monster. A lit red light globe is in the box. The blue beams are blue rectangular LEDs mounted into the Perspex. These are to work like a running light chaser circuit. The whole HUD set up works well when the background is in the dark, like a covered display box. The whole diorama would have to be set up at observers eye-level (so not the see the Perspex lid surface of the display box).

I have the 1/72 scale version of this kit and it has figures the ID monster included ( moulded in clear ) I don't know if I'll ever get around to building it as it's absolutely massive once completed. 

20160706_104949

20160706_110817

Would be a very impressive diorama though so you never know I may give it a go. 

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brundledonk said:

I have the 1/72 scale version of this kit and it has figures the ID monster included ( moulded in clear ) I don't know if I'll ever get around to building it as it's absolutely massive once completed. 

20160706_104949

20160706_110817

Would be a very impressive diorama though so you never know I may give it a go. 

Pete

Darn you ... Now i need one of those ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brundledonk said:

I have the 1/72 scale version of this kit ... I don't know if I'll ever get around to building it as it's absolutely massive once completed. ...

That is not necessarily so.

One can have a box mounted on the wall with a Forbidden Planet poster attached. Or the box stored somewhere else.

Then when it is opened, there is your diorama.

M5mgqJM.png

Edited by Getunderit
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Getunderit said:

That is not necessarily so.

One can have a box mounted on the wall with a Forbidden Planet poster attached. Or the box stored somewhere else.

Then when it is opened, there is your diorama.

M5mgqJM.png

The trouble is, if there is a female involved, your display space is more likely to look something like this:

5d12e86d-59bc-4fa2-9b81-7eee1b47e78a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Getunderit said:

@bar side, I wonder what got whited-out above the tank?

7 minutes ago, bar side said:

Looks like some kind of semaphore.  Bet Swindon was pushing out something’s other than trains in both wars too.

Yes, a semaphore:

markvcutaway.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Then there is this one. It ought to be a good diorama.

J4qljq7.jpg

That brings tears to my eyes,at least the old girl's still in one piece though...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

A mate on another forum took these photo's about three years ago of an FAA F4U Corsair that crashed at Ballykelly,it would have to be scratch built but it'd be a looker...

27269030068_949a587ab1.jpg

41142495701_44af25f5a5.jpg

40430816134_37334f9b36.jpg

41142494751_40fa79af68.jpg

40430815714_1ce20fc05d.jpg

27269028228_b4b36c49b7.jpg

Great idea yet sad that a beautiful plane like the Corsair is rotting away like that.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

“THEM” another great Sci-fi movie from the ‘50’s .

It's OK, I corrected that for you. :wink:

• Haha 2

@Gorby ... “Great” was referring to the idea. The film is not the best , the special effects are of course laughable. But in general the idea of radiation creating a giant mutant insect species from atomic testing was a scary concept. Thats why i say great. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Gorby ... “Great” was referring to the idea. The film is not the best , the special effects are of course laughable. But in general the idea of radiation creating a giant mutant insect species from atomic testing was a scary concept. Thats why i say great. 

Dennis

I remember watching it when I were a nipper (American translation 'young') and being transfixed.

I often wonder how my (and earlier) generations would have thought about the CGI heavy films of today, if we could have seen them at that time. They would have been mind blowing. :boom:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great idea yet sad that a beautiful plane like the Corsair is rotting away like that.  

It is sad but at least the pilot walked away,it should be in a museum but after 70+ years in the Atlantic it'd be an awfull lot of work to stop it getting any worse,just think about the Mary Rose...

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

“THEM” another great Sci-fi movie from the ‘50’s .

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, Gorby said:

It's OK, I corrected that for you. :wink:

Phase IV - an equally entertaining film on a similar vein but with far smaller creepy crawlies.

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Phase IV - an equally entertaining film on a similar vein but with far smaller creepy crawlies.

Had to look this up but when i was reading about the movie it clicked. Ive seen it before. Maybe some 15-20 years ago. I agree they were both interesting plot ideas. Probably both let down with poor execution and Special F/X. 

On 02/04/2018 at 9:40 PM, Getunderit said:

PICCADILLY CIRCUS

NhFoN8U.jpg

I have seen a oo gauge layout with roads & buildings, over ground rail lines and tunnels underneath with running underground trains.  Sliced vertically through to view from the side.

• Like 2