DIORAMAS I WOULD LIKE TO BUILD

Getunderit

4 hours ago, Gorby said:
17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would very much like to see that when it's done.

So would I ... Sadly no. Its a long term project and i had to reboot it. I originally planned on 1/48 scale. But after a few builds realized that it would be to costly in size and money. So I revised my original idea and started over. Ive only the 1st 1/72nd P-51 built as of now. My goal will be reached eventually, and i will show the completed project someday. 

Dennis

• Like 1

I like the idea of cross-sections because they reveal a lot of information.

Our local maritime museum has a disarmed torpedo. Have suggested to loan the torpedo to the naval cadets, under supervision, to make a cross-section. In that way, as museum visitor approaching the back room, will see a complete torpedo until they approach it from the other side to see a cross-section. The naval cadets would gain knowledge, skills and more importantly a broad view of what is possible.

Unfortunately, like many minds I have come across, they evaluate possibilities by their own abilities. Likewise, many such suggestions get quickly brushed aside.

It is the modeller who often creates such things, though on a smaller scale, has with them the possibilities that many fear to face.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2018 at 9:59 AM, Getunderit said:

Someone suggested this image for a diorama.

I think it could be quite awesome.

6cFEh2T.jpg

OK it's not *quite* right, but it gives me an excuse to post this:

19261851885_90fafab4e5_b.jpg

Which isn't really a diorama, more a temporary photo setup. I've got two fighting machines unassembled still, they're about 6" high, so I wonder what would work as Thunder Child?

Will

• Like 4

Hello Will. @Will Vale

24 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

...so I wonder what would work as Thunder Child?

Will

IMHO. Anything as long as it looks like a child (characteristically). That is, it looks like a child version of an adult one. The 1906 illustration has those characteristics; such as undeveloped (fine) limbs and big eyes.

I would scratch-build it out of whatever I could find. It would be okay to have your own version.

Hope you build it and share the build log with us.

• Like 1

Not sure I follow - HMS Thunder Child is the torpedo ram ship in the painting. In the story it attacks a fighting machine to buy time for passenger craft to escape.

Will

• Thanks 1

Thank you Will for clarifying my assumptions and misunderstandings.

I saw the 1906 illustration and assumed the fighting machine was called the Thunder Child, for it appeared to look like that according to my psyche.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Forbidden Planet

Wefx5Lv.jpg

I own this on Blue ray and watch it several times a year. It is my favorite classic Sci-fi movie from the 1950’s. Little known fact about this movie. “Robbie” the Robot cost the studio in 1956 $250,000 dollars and took i think 15-16 months to build. The body is spun aluminum i believe and all the light up parts were hand blown Neon.

Dennis

• Like 2

Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle for that information. It was worth the investment. Robbie, at the time, and still does, looks awesome. He sure was used a lot for other movies and the TV series Lost in Space.

I've got the video too. It is a classic. To me, it was the first time I saw a mind machine (not Robbie) where imaginations can be built automatically - a modeller's dream, or nightmare! :lol:

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 2:58 PM, Getunderit said:

Forbidden Planet

Wefx5Lv.jpg

I worked out how to create the ID monster above, by making your own Head Up Display (HUD).

The HU part is an angled partition window with reflective film attached.

The D part is a thin sheet of Perspex, as a sunken lid to a box. The Persex is blacked out, except for the red light bits of the ID monster. A lit red light globe is in the box. The blue beams are blue rectangular LEDs mounted into the Perspex. These are to work like a running light chaser circuit. The whole HUD set up works well when the background is in the dark, like a covered display box. The whole diorama would have to be set up at observers eye-level (so not the see the Perspex lid surface of the display box).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Whatever you do, don’t mention the war...

How about a fawlty towers dio! 

That could be a very humorous diorama.

Tony, please don't get me wrong. I think a Big Bang diorama from start to its many galaxies, as shown in the link, could be an awesome 3D educational display.

• Like 1