Skeleton spearmen

Hi folks,

I've had a bit of a gap in the middle owing to family holiday, work, etc. but I've finally finished the skeletons I started at the very end of January.

39917271164_0b5f8b60ff_b.jpg

They're Games Workshop 28mm models, and they're a bit long in the tooth now. There's nothing really wrong with them but they don't have quite the poses and detail of the newer stuff. The biggest issue is that as they're designed to rank up on square bases they have rather restricted poses, so they're not a very diverse unit. I've tried to build in a bit of variety with the various optional parts, and have some spears aloft and some down low doing the stabbing.

40585731622_c1a682f9d8_b.jpg

The command group (champion, standard bearer and musician) are quite characterful, especially the musician's ludicrous horn.

I was a bit worried about attaching the shields at the end, but they had decent gluing surfaces so I was able to scrape some paint away and fix them in place with solvent glue.

40585735072_093da59c95_b.jpg

I think my favourite is the skeleton with the coffin-lid shield and half of his skull missing.

40585733232_6701cb3229_b.jpg

They're all painted roughly the same way - Alclad primer, Tamiya acrylics for the basic bone colour, Citadel paints for almost everything, Alclad varnish and Citadel metallics with some Vallejo Liquid Metal colours for the brightest highlights. The metals are quite shiny but the diffuse lighting kills that a bit, I'll have to take some pictures on black and see how that looks.

NB: The bases are inspired by Padley Gorge near Sheffield where we used to live. It's not exactly a tribute but I remember the mossy rocks and autumn leaves fondly. Hopefully I can develop that a bit if I do some matching scenery.

40547721441_76706283f9_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, and to those who commented on the WIP thread, it's always helpful to get another pair of eyes on these things:

Cheers,

Will

• Like 21

Lovely work Will. My favourite is the one with the spiky helmet and the low-riding loincloth (last photo, right-hand side). Makes him look like he's got builder's bum.

The bases are particularly nice too. It's been a few years since I was up at Padley, but they definitely capture the look of the place.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

Thanks all!

22 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Lovely work Will. My favourite is the one with the spiky helmet and the low-riding loincloth (last photo, right-hand side). Makes him look like he's got builder's bum.

Hehe, there's another one whose trouser-remnants are definitely hanging quite low:

40585737412_f8cdd4b9e0_b.jpg

21 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

The musician's horn is ludicrous in more ways than one, given that he doesn't have the means to blow into the thing in the first place :lol:

Yes there's been some debate in our house as to whether the lack of lungs or lips is the real problem!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Is it ironic to resurrect a thread about the undead?

I painted a Grave Guard model this week as it was last month's free GW miniature and I thought it would sit happily with my existing skellies. I think the Grave Guard are probably not as nice as the skeleton warriors - they have a lot of vampire bits like bat wings on their helmets, and their forward-leaning poses seem less varied. 

51237901058_6e656facc0_o.jpg
(I don't know if this will work as an embed, but if you click through it spins around!)

But it's still fun to paint skeletons :)

Will  

• Like 4

Not my normal genre Will but nice all the same. I remember the original thread, back in pre-covid prehistory. The look like fun & with your treatment are very effective. The spinny bit looks good on flickr. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...