Hawker Typhoon - 1/72 Airfix

This is the most recent Airfix Hawker Typhoon release in 1/72 scale. I think this is the first time since returning to the hobby about 5 years ago that I was able to achieve a worn paint look to my liking.

The model was a joy to put together with terrific detail and very little seam filling required. The only seam work that was necessary were the wing roots.  I elected not to fill these in because I was in a time crunch because I was trying a new paint technique for my dad, who was coming to my house to work on his monogram 1/48 typhoon the following weekend.

The paint was Mr. Color, which I tried for the first time and fell in love with. I "black based" the aircraft (an technique I learned at doogsmodels) by primering the aircraft with Mr. Finishing surfacer black 1500, then marbling on Mr. color 309 (the equivalent to  RAF dark green) with areas of 303 (FS3402) and 319 (light green) for the green part of the camouflage and marbling on 331 (Dark sea gray) lightened with a little 306 (FS36270) with areas of darker and lighter 331 (by adding white and black)  for the gray parts of the camo.  The bottom was marbled with 335 (Medium sea gray).  I then went over most of the panel lines with 339 engine gray.  I also marbled light gray on areas I expected to be sun weathered.

When it came time to mist on the final colors, I used salt weathering: I wet the surface down with water and sprinkled on crushed up sea salt, dried it with a hair dryer on cool and misted the color on.   I would then wash the salt off and repeat the process two more times.  I masked the camouflage with bluetak and tamiya tape.

y3SzMTK.jpg

I gloss coated the model with Alclad 2 Aqua Gloss 2 clear by hand brushing it on, then applied the decals using Mr. Mark Softener as a solvent. I did a pin-wash in selected panel lines.  The engraved lines are deep enough that they really didn't need a pin wash, so I just did the ailerons, elevators and the lines running through the decals. I airbrushed decanted Dullcote on the model and used tamiya weathering pastels for exhaust and gun smoke stains.

75RZxhT.jpg

5AJerqt.jpg

31NTJmL.jpg

VWD7LPX.jpg

ay3xxf4.jpg

XPKGztY.jpg

Final weathering consisted of painting paint chips on the wings and fuselage using testors chrome paint and the smallest paint brush I have.  I collected a couple dozen photos of ground crew servicing the typhoon to use as reference for where to put the paint chips and how worn the aircraft got. I drybrushed the outer leading edges of the propeller blades with testors chrome paint and dotted on a few paint chips sparingly.

qiCy4PH.jpg

This kit was very impressive for the cost and was a lot of fun to put together.  My dad was impressed that it had more detail than his Monogram 1/48 typhoon!  I highly recommend it.

Edited by opus999
Added a photo
  • Like 45

Thanks! The salt method was pretty easy, but I had to test it on some scrap a few times to figure out how to get the look I wanted.  The first time I tried it I put on too much water and the salt ended up covering the whole surface!

I wanted to share how I did it because I've learned so much from folks who detailed how they did things.  I hope to return the favor for someone else!

• Like 1

What a splendid Typhoon. I love the model and especially the finish and like others, do appreciate the detailed account of the techniques and paints used. 

You have inspired!

Well done and thanks.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Very nice model. The weathering looks just right.

The salt technique really looks promising, but it doesn't seem to work with my favorite Tamiya paints (water content dissolves salt causing fogging). Mr. Color are "solvent"-based (=solvent other than water, IPA, Ethanol), aren't they?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Never heard of this technique before but it looks very effective, good job!

I have seen it most commonly used with Navy jets to get the really dirty, grungy look. But a post here at britmodeller inspired me to think about using it for WWII aircraft.  In the post, the member (Wolwe82) used salt weathering to create a finish on Don Gentille's P-51, Shangri-La, that was the most realistic I'd ever seen -- So I just had to try it.

Here's the post:

I especially appreciated that he detailed his technique.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

What a splendid Typhoon. I love the model and especially the finish and like others, do appreciate the detailed account of the techniques and paints used. 

You have inspired!

Well done and thanks.

Terry

Thanks for the praise!  I'm new here, so I haven't been able to do any WIP, but I hope to.  I've learned so much from others who've done so!

14 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Very nice model. The weathering looks just right.

The salt technique really looks promising, but it doesn't seem to work with my favorite Tamiya paints (water content dissolves salt causing fogging). Mr. Color are "solvent"-based (=solvent other than water, IPA, Ethanol), aren't they?

Thank you! It's funny you said "just right" because that's really what I strive for!  It's so easy for me to over do it. :worry:

Yes, Mr. Color is a solvent based lacquer, so it worked very well with this technique, but you really need a respirator to airbrush with it.

I have some Tamiya and it has always seemed to be high quality (lots of folks swear by it), but I haven't used it in an airbrush because I had such a terrible experience with Testors Acryl (masking peeled up so much of the paint!).  I realize all paint brands are different, so have you found Tamiya resistant to peel up? Are you able to get a fine line with it through an airbrush?

A terrific looking Typhoon with some beautiful weathering. I really like the tonal variation you've achieved.   I have seen the marbling method being done on You Tube and was impressed with the results.

• Thanks 1

Nice Typhoon.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 'marbling' method because often it's overdone and looks ridiculous.

But in your case it's resulted in a subtle worn and faded look. I also rate Mr Color paints and use them a lot now. And you're right - Gas mask essential!  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, opus999 said:

Thank you! It's funny you said "just right" because that's really what I strive for!  It's so easy for me to over do it. :worry:

Yes, Mr. Color is a solvent based lacquer, so it worked very well with this technique, but you really need a respirator to airbrush with it.

I have some Tamiya and it has always seemed to be high quality (lots of folks swear by it), but I haven't used it in an airbrush because I had such a terrible experience with Testors Acryl (masking peeled up so much of the paint!).  I realize all paint brands are different, so have you found Tamiya resistant to peel up? Are you able to get a fine line with it through an airbrush?

Tamiya paints work very well for me (probably because I have most experience with them). They smell better (ventilation is still a good idea from a health point of view), and I have  no problems with paint peeling up. It is true that they don't "bite" into the plastic as solvent-based paints do, but at least since I use a rattle-can primer first, the Tamiya paint sticks well enough to the surface. I recently finished a D-Day Spitfire (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034766-spitfire-ix-june-1944-172/) with lots of masking (invasion stripes, sky fuselage band, yellow leading edges), but the masking tape (also Tamiya) never lifted up the paint. Fine lines also are no problems if you use a volatile thinner (high ethanol or IPA content). I used to built German planes and tanks with a lot of mottling etc.

• Like 1