Barkley-Grow T8P-1 Passenger plane - Execuform, 1/72nd.

Lovely work on this little beauty Moa.

When I saw the museum pictures, the front end reminded me a little of the Cessna Bobcat for some reason..

Will be following along quietly in the background.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Wow, you don't hang about do you! Another gem in the making.

Are you going for a natural metal finish? if so I will be very interested in how you perfect the joints and filler so it doesn't show through the paint finish, purely because I haven't managed to do that yet!

• Thanks 1

What a great thread.  I'm due to post some WIP of a Sedbergh glider that I have just started but I cant promise this level of quality in postings and build, nor indeed speed of build. Mine will be for the very patient and tolerant crowd!

Well done on a brilliant start. Will follow this keenly.

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic work with those windows :yes:. Don't think I'd be brave enough to use a Dremel :fraidnot:.

Stuart

Hi Stuart:

I don't know what I would do without my Dremel. But yes, there are risks, and sometimes...I mess up.

The good thing with vacs is that if you eat too much, you just glue a piece of plastic from the backing sheet, let it dry, blend, and start over again.

I use small bits, though, and go slowly, avoid high speed melting.

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stringbag said:

When I saw the museum pictures, the front end reminded me a little of the Cessna Bobcat for some reason..

Will be following along quietly in the background.

Chris

Hi Chris:

Indeed, it looks like one. I had to purge my references folder form many photos that were not a Barkley-Grow, when I started to pay close attention.

Cheers

4 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Are you going for a natural metal finish? if so I will be very interested in how you perfect the joints and filler so it doesn't show through the paint finish, purely because I haven't managed to do that yet!

Hi Bristol Boy

Fortunately, as noted somewhere before on the posts, Belvedere had a blue fuselage, white flying surfaces and Aluminuim painted floats, so no bare metal finish.

The multilayered painting approach I (and other modelers) use (primer, gloss black base, Alclad, acrylic floor polish) gives you s good chance of not having bad results on metal finishes, even when Milliput or putty are present. But yes, putty does present a problem sometimes.

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm due to post some WIP of a Sedbergh glider that I have just started but I cant promise this level of quality in postings and build, nor indeed speed of build. Mine will be for the very patient and tolerant crowd!

Well done on a brilliant start. Will follow this keenly.

Cheers

Terry

Hi Terry

I am sure it'll be great.

And there are, like for everything else, personal paces. 

We should do whatever fits us and our available time. 

And there are no deadlines! We all just want to have fun.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

The landing gear legs (although I am not using them in this build I keep going, for the sake on reference) were sleeved, so a thin strip of styrene is wrapped around and glued:

38869082130_fa66b34a42_b.jpg

The leftovers will be cut away once the glue has set:

39969476594_4dc3389df6_b.jpg

The patch with Miliput of the mold indentation went on with no problems:

38869081790_15b62bc64e_b.jpg

Cargo compartment given its bulkheads and some stringers for the sake of appearance:

39969476504_c159076c4b_b.jpg

Interior in progress:

38869079650_634501da49_b.jpg

Some plans show a very small washroom which apparently was optional (at the moment of ordering the plane), but photos don't; so, for this time, and although my fellow modeler Alain Bourret -who professes a deep love for areo-toilets- will be disappointed, this time I will not include one.

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 5

Using the fuselage halves themselves, the contour of the doors is traced from inside onto a piece of styrene sheet:

39972733854_bb0f25db65_b.jpg

The doors are cut and bent:

40640763992_20572f8162_b.jpg

And then "hinges and handles" are added from stretched sprue. These will be lightly sanded to make them rounder at the end that fits the part, but the stalks will be only cut to size after painting, to facilitate handling:

40682941951_68e296b009_b.jpg

• Like 9

On 06/03/2018 at 19:08, Moa said:

Hi Courageous:

,-)

I am, though, an equal-opportunity builder, and actually love them all: injected, vacs, resins. Bring them on! ;-)

Vacs, though, were for me especially important, since they helped me develop many skills later applied in many, many, scratch-building projects.

Vacs teach you enormities. And they help push your modeling boundaries, subject-wise and skills-wise.

But again, I love them all.

And of course, there are out there so many modelers much more qualified than me, true masters indeed. Once again I point (among many others) to the exceptional work of the Queen's subject Roger Holden.

I just like to play, and have fun. And in the process hopefully achieve a decent enough model.

Hello C.  Now you've name-checked me, I feel compelled to respond. As with yourself, vacforms were an important part of my modelling development and a stepping stone to scratchbuilding. I spent a big chunk of my teens in the

1970s building them. As there was no 'aftermarket' in those days and I didn't have a spares box to rob, I began to scratchbuild my own engines, props and wheels. After mastering those, progressing to the major airframe parts was a breeze. But I still enjoy vacforms today, as they are often just a small step easier than scratchbuilding (especially the rather crude brands like Execuform) and a blank canvas to create something spectacular. But I know a lot of people are put off, as they think once you have cut out the parts, they are no more difficult than an injection-moulded kit, which is far from the truth.

I think I have an example of this kit somewhere. I like the Peruvian plane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

Hello C.  Now you've name-checked me, I feel compelled to respond. As with yourself, vacforms were an important part of my modelling development and a stepping stone to scratchbuilding. I spent a big chunk of my teens in the

1970s building them. As there was no 'aftermarket' in those days and I didn't have a spares box to rob, I began to scratchbuild my own engines, props and wheels. After mastering those, progressing to the major airframe parts was a breeze. But I still enjoy vacforms today, as they are often just a small step easier than scratchbuilding (especially the rather crude brands like Execuform) and a blank canvas to create something spectacular. But I know a lot of people are put off, as they think once you have cut out the parts, they are no more difficult than an injection-moulded kit, which is far from the truth.

Hi Roger!

I think you should post some of your creations here, exceptional in any possible way, for the benefit of us all. Your skills are among the best, and you are an inspiration (if momentarily your models make me want to dedicate my time to herding clouds).

But once we pass through the "I will never be able to do it" temporary depression, it makes us want to model more and better, if in our own particular mere mortal way.

;-)

• Like 1

Now dealing with engraving the control surfaces. The tail presents a little dilemma. The fin/rudder separation line on the vertical stabilizer is not continues, but, besides a balance mass, has a receding line under the stab.

Furthermore, the rudders are "inserted" on the stab, whilst the fins divide in upper and lower halves. Summarizing: you can either cut the stab tips to add the vertical stabilizers, of you have to cut the latter.

I opted for the second option, also separating fin and rudder. This will give us at the beginning fours parts, but the rudder upper and lower sections will be glued, as per original, at their trailing edge. You will have to study photos of the original plane to decipher what I am talking about:

38906704120_c63235d7da_b.jpg

38906703780_517747e6b9_b.jpg

38906704080_ab7a5bff46_b.jpg

The upper and lower rudder will later be "reunited" at their trailing edges. As you can see, the rudder "flies" over a fixed section of the stab:

38906703670_57bbf4a329_b.jpg

The first move is to separate upper and lower halves, then carve the curve to follow -always checking as you go- the airfoil of the stab:

38906703980_b14dda0223_b.jpg

The reinforcements at the exterior side of the nacelles -a la DC3- cover in the original wing external panels joint. I used the smallest section of semi-circular styrene rod:

38906703790_1bc03c1db6_b.jpg

The interior is given the first color:

38906703930_900975323e_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 09/03/2018 at 00:22, Moa said:

Hi Roger!

I think you should post some of your creations here, exceptional in any possible way, for the benefit of us all. Your skills are among the best, and you are an inspiration (if momentarily your models make me want to dedicate my time to herding clouds).

But once we pass through the "I will never be able to do it" temporary depression, it makes us want to model more and better, if in our own particular mere mortal way.

;-)

As you know, my model photos are all presently stored on Photobucket, which presently precludes me linking to them. I could find another photo hosting site, but I don't feel inclined to re-load them all at this stage. Maybe for the future ones. My 'in-progress' photos so far are also frankly, mediocre (taken using my brother's smartphone) and were not intended to be posted anywhere. I know that better photography is something I need to address, but currently my time is limited and I prefer to prioritise the actual modelling. (You must spend more time taking photos than actually modelling !) .  Of course, anyone sufficiently interested can find them via a certain 'Wings of Intent' blog ;-)

I joined this site quite recently, primarily to participate in some of the discussions about inter-war aircraft.

3 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

(You must spend more time taking photos than actually modelling !)

Welcome, Roger

This is, after all, Britmodeller, so you are home ;-)

Regarding what you mentioned -quoted above-, not really, Roger.

It takes only a few minutes.

I have a good point-and-shoot camera, cheap enough not to worry about it, and simple enough to learn to operate it quickly.

I am, as you probably know, a visual artist, so notions like composition, light, etc. come naturally (after busting my behind studying and practicing for years, that is).

I keep it very simple.

For the curious (and because photography is a part of our hobby, and that's mainly how we modelers communicate and share).

Spoiler: barely any models there, if any:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61289374@N05/

I never heard about this type - and I should already since it is a WWII type in serial production (11 constructed), even used for some rescue operation in Greenland,as I've just learnt from Wiki.

As a fan of all rare types, scratchbuild and vacu kits I like your build very much, especially that this vacu kit is really very basic. Thanks for sharing

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Moa said:

Welcome, Roger

This is, after all, Britmodeller, so you are home ;-)

Regarding what you mentioned -quoted above-, not really, Roger.

It takes only a few minutes.

I have a good point-and-shoot camera, cheap enough not to worry about it, and simple enough to learn to operate it quickly.

I am, as you probably know, a visual artist, so notions like composition, light, etc. come naturally (after busting my behind studying and practicing for years, that is).

I keep it very simple.

For the curious (and because photography is a part of our hobby, and that's mainly how we modelers communicate and share).

Spoiler: barely any models there, if any:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61289374@N05/

Wow; beautiful pro-standard photography!   But I guess it's a big help living in a place where the sun always shines, rather than one where it hardly ever does. 

i never managed to take any decent model photos during the film-camera era, despite a few attempts, so at least things are now moving in the right direction.

4 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Wow; beautiful pro-standard photography!   But I guess it's a big help living in a place where the sun always shines, rather than one where it hardly ever does. 

i never managed to take any decent model photos during the film-camera era, despite a few attempts, so at least things are now moving in the right direction.

Dear Roger

My sentiments, I could never master film photography, but digital cameras made it both, easier and more affordable. You can take now thousands of pics and select what you want almost instantly, erase and reuse. And if the camera has a good auto setting, and you provide a reasonable environment, things are likely to go right.

And you are correct, almost invariably sunny here, with its cons too, but good for photography. But not today, when I was hoping to photograph the just-finished Caproni.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aerobat said:

What an inspiring build of this fascinating subject! I first saw CF-BQM on the way to Quebec where it would get the Belvedere colors. I photographed it later in 1981 at Calgary before restoration.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Barkley-Grow-T8P-1/2369585/L

I look forward to the rest of your journey. :wow:

Thanks Aerobat. That photo is actually one of the small group I saw on the Net that helped me made a choice and base my model on.

Cheers