1/48 Vought Corsair - British Pacific Fleet 1945

I am (very slowly) building a collection of the aircraft of various Royal Navy Aces (based on the Osprey book).  This model represents

Vought Corsair MkII JT537/P136.

1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, Operation Iceberg May 1945.

On 4th May 1945 SLt DJ Sheppard (RCN) used this aircraft to destroy a D4Y Judy.  SLt DJ Sheppard was the first Royal Canadian Navy Ace of WWII.

The kit is the Tamiya F4U-1D kit.  Throw it in the air and it assembles itself, except it has the rather excellent MCD MkII conversion set with new cockpit sidewalls, seat with harness, CO vents and external tank.  TTS uses Xtracrylix paints.  Markings are made up from various Xtradecal sets.

I chose this aeroplane for my collection rather than the usual T8*B in which Sheppard scored the majority of his victories as I already have a Corsair in the Blue/White roundel (Lt Col R Hay) and I wanted a Corsair with the BFP Roundel and Bars. 

Anyway enough of the chat...

25746959007_d943e1fc18_b.jpg

25746958557_62c9d5e560_b.jpg

40575317292_be0fae7b54_b.jpg

40617177971_e4dbfafb7a_b.jpg

40617177311_17b9b74ec5_b.jpg

38807583920_c39a9c8f67_b.jpg

40617176581_ff663c89fd_b.jpg

Here is P147 onboard USS Essex for comparison...

40571709382_f0b4b7e192_b.jpg

38807583400_8e86135c79_b.jpg

And in the cabinet...

26701425578_58fc8e9f3f_b.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks for stopping by...

Edited by Grey Beema
Errata
  • Like 38

The cabinet was from Ikea.  I have two side by side, each with two bays and one glass shelf.  They are about 5 feet long each so they stretch  across most of the back wall of the cave making up eight areas for aircraft.  I fitted LED lighting sets (also from Ikea ) into each bay.   You can get about four aircraft per area in 1/48 but this can be tight for larger aircraft.  I have a Firefly MkI in the stash that will fit to the right of the Seafire III.  Which will fill up this bay.  The Walrus definitely will not fit in...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am currently reading a book called "Kamikaze Hunters" which is about the FAA serving in the Pacific alongside of the Americans. I had no idea of this history and am finding the story fascinating. Your Corsair and other builds have really made the story come alive. You have done a great job......Corsairs look awesome in this scheme. Keep up the great work. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, noelbarnes said:

I am currently reading a book called "Kamikaze Hunters" which is about the FAA serving in the Pacific alongside of the Americans. I had no idea of this history and am finding the story fascinating. Your Corsair and other builds have really made the story come alive. You have done a great job......Corsairs look awesome in this scheme. Keep up the great work. 

Thanks for your kind words Noel,

Kamikaze Hunters is a great book.  Will Iredale is in a couple of Facebook groups that I am in on British Pacific Fleet Seafires & British Pacific Fleet.  Other members on here @85sqn, @tonyot are also members I think so it might be worth looking the groups out. 

I think my interest was started because my Dad was in the FAA.  Aircraft Electrician, he was training for the invasion of the Home Islands when the war ended.  He was part of a Mobile Naval Air Base (MONAB).  His squad was also being trained in the art of sniper hunting (thrash around in the jungle until someone shoots at you then all shoot back) luckily the war ended before he had to go..

• Like 2

Lovely stuff Phil! I like the ZYC showing through. I like your collection in the cabinet too- it’s very similar to mine, lots of EDSG and DSG!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

Lovely stuff Phil! I like the ZYC showing through. I like your collection in the cabinet too- it’s very similar to mine, lots of EDSG and DSG!

Thanks Nick,  You are too kind..

The only bits of DG/DE/Sky S I have are the pair of Spitfires and pair of Hurricane flown by FAA Aces during the Battle of Britain..  I do need to do a Mosqito MkXIII at some point though - just to add variety - Oh hold on that was flown by an RN crew too..  DO you think there is a theme forming?

Yet another superb addition to your Fleet Air Arm collection there Phil,....... it looks just the job and the weathering is superb mate,...... what next,...an Avenger or Barracuda?

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Yet another superb addition to your Fleet Air Arm collection there Phil,....... it looks just the job and the weathering is superb mate,...... what next,...an Avenger or Barracuda?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, it pales into insignificance compared to your efforts..

Not sure which way to go yet TBH.  I have a Skua that is in quite an advanced state. First thing is to finish that off.  I might have another bash at my Sea Gladiator that is on the naughty step.

Then there is the Carriers Ahoy and the Pacific War GBs, I've never done a GB so thought I might give it a crack but think I may be hindered by my slow rate of build.  I have a BPF Firefly asking to get done but might save that for the Pacific War GB or I might do a Hellcat I for that I also have the obligatory Seafire XVII, 47 and a Sea Fury or might just go for another Pedestal Sea Hurricane...  

I used to be indecisive now I'm not so sure...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, Grey Beema said:

Thanks Tony, it pales into insignificance compared to your efforts..

Not sure which way to go yet TBH.  I have a Skua that is in quite an advanced state. First thing is to finish that off.  I might have another bash at my Sea Gladiator that is on the naughty step.

Then there is the Carriers Ahoy and the Pacific War GBs, I've never done a GB so thought I might give it a crack but think I may be hindered by my slow rate of build.  I have a BPF Firefly asking to get done but might save that for the Pacific War GB or I might do a Hellcat I for that I also have the obligatory Seafire XVII, 47 and a Sea Fury or might just go for another Pedestal Sea Hurricane...  

I used to be indecisive now I'm not so sure...

Hello grey,

Try the GB, there's a lot of fun in it ! I did it and even me !! managed to finish right on time !

I would'nt have bet a penny on that but I did :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I choosed a plane that will not be too tempting to superdetail !

Obviously, it was not an OOB, I no longer can.

I really like your corsair, astonishing ??

Ronnie Hay's Corsair is already on the bench beside Blackburn's one...

Your sea gladiator is a Gem too !!

Think that mine will Hope, Faith or Charity, don't know yet but one need these 3 Qualities to finish a Roden and Lindberg double build :rofl2:

I really like your collection ! FAA first but USN too... for me at least !

Congratulations ! Great collection !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 7 months later...