BEA Trident 3B

I bought this kit last year intending to build it in the De Havilland GB but..............

20180228_151405

Not too many parts, though a couple of the smaller ones have disappeared from the sprue before it got into the box 

20180228_151422

The above pictures were taken about a week ago and I now have the fuselage together

20180304_151724

There's quite a bit of flash to remove (not really an issue) and as others have noted, the plastic is quite rough and prone to odd "lumps" here and there.

Apart from the fact that two of the 3 castellated engine exhausts are missing, the main problem looks like the wings.  These will need some careful sanding on the insides to get them to fit together.

• Like 7

Welcome to the GB FortyEighter. Good to see another civil subject, the Dh GB's loss is our gain, pity that there's parts missing from the kit though.

On 04/03/2018 at 4:37 PM, FortyEighter said:

Apart from the fact that two of the 3 castellated engine exhausts are missing, the main problem looks like the wings.  These will need some careful sanding on the insides to get them to fit together.

If you contact Laurent Herjean through the F-RSIN website I'm sure he'll sort the missing exhausts for you.  Alternatively if you have a spare or scrap Airfix Trident the parts are identical.

One point to mention, if you haven't already noticed, is that the fin intake is too triangular in shape.  That's easily sorted with some thin plastic, a little filler and a bit of needle filing.  This photo shows how it should look.

I'm a great fan of F-RSIN kits an it's good to see one under construction.

On 3/4/2018 at 4:37 PM, FortyEighter said:

These will need some careful sanding on the insides to get them to fit together.

As it happens, I'm just tackling the same job on mine. . I ended up using a curved blade and scraping the hell out of the inside surfaces to get them anywhere near fitting together. It has worked well on the upper surfaces, but because the bottom surfaces are concave in section anyway due to the poor moulding, it has left them very thin in parts.

To overcome the concave section, I've had to attach a thin strip of 2mm plasticard inside the upper surfaces so that when the lowers are attached, it gives some strength to each wing half and reduces the depth of the concave. A bit like adding a spar over the outboard section.

I found it easier to cut the lower wing halves at the dihedral break and attach as two separate pieces. This enabled me to get a better fit between upper and lower half and also achieve better definition of the dihedral changes as well.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, stringbag said:

As it happens, I'm just tackling the same job on mine. . I ended up using a curved blade and scraping the hell out of the inside surfaces to get them anywhere near fitting together. It has worked well on the upper surfaces, but because the bottom surfaces are concave in section anyway due to the poor moulding, it has left them very thin in parts.

To overcome the concave section, I've had to attach a thin strip of 2mm plasticard inside the upper surfaces so that when the lowers are attached, it gives some strength to each wing half and reduces the depth of the concave. A bit like adding a spar over the outboard section.

I found it easier to cut the lower wing halves at the dihedral break and attach as two separate pieces. This enabled me to get a better fit between upper and lower half and also achieve better definition of the dihedral changes as well.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Thanks for this tip Chris - sorry but I've only just seen it.

At the moment I'm concentrating on my 737 and 10th Anniversary builds, so no more progress on the Trident to report.  There are just too many overlapping Group Builds that I want to take part in.

Mike 

• Like 1