Fokker C-X, Winter War 1939-40, Finland, AZ 1/72

Hi,

After Dutch Kestrel driven C-X I would like to share with the second one Fokker C-X. This time with Bristol Pegasus engine. Finland used them during Winter War and then Continuation War. 

Kit is from AZ, with some additions

Here she is:

40613533201_d9daa12b73_b.jpg

26742159328_1f3cd2e7ba_b.jpg

39718458235_c287eb008e_b.jpg

39718455395_8aa59b89c8_b.jpg

39718459695_534472ebd5_b.jpg

40571632232_96cf8c29b6_b.jpg

25743186387_e980ab040e_b.jpg

40571636752_3e5598d014_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

J-W

P.S.

Above photos were lightered in mode "auto colour correction". I think this made a bit more bright colours then original. If only a bit lightered

manually they looks like this

40618091771_e1b9009d2e_b.jpg

39907640504_fdf9f50a99_b.jpg

Edited by JWM
added PS
  • Like 15

Reminds me a bit of a Gladiator also in Winter configuration and Finnish markings. Quite unusual to see national insignia on the prop blades, I assume it was for safety reasons and not identification or perhaps it was but on the ground and engine not running :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Reminds me a bit of a Gladiator also in Winter configuration and Finnish markings. Quite unusual to see national insignia on the prop blades, I assume it was for safety reasons and not identification or perhaps it was but on the ground and engine not running :)

I think these are IVL manufacturer logos- the Ilmailuvoimien lentokonetehdas, or Finnish Airforce Aircraft Factory. They are commonly seen on Finnish aircraft of the 20s and 30s.

Here's one on a Finnish-built VL Saaski

File:VL Sääski II SÄ-122.JPG

Nice Fokker C.X!

Will

• Like 2

Very nice "Frans-Kalle"! Extra points for the skis;)

These aircraft were robust, reliable and well liked by their crews. One or two saw "active" service as target tugs after the war. The small swastika decals on propeller blades are indeed manufacturer logos.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Thanks! The similarity to Gladiator is apparently due to Bristol engine. Small swastikas (BTW too large in model but I have no smaller) is logo of company manufacturing props in Finland as was said already. 

2 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Nice Fokker C.X!

Thank you Will :)

2 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Very nice "Frans-Kalle"! Extra points for the skis;)

These aircraft were robust, reliable and well liked by their crews. One or two saw "active" service as target tugs after the war. The small swastika decals on propeller blades are indeed manufacturer logos.

Kind Regards,

Antti

Many thanks Antii. Interesting that in Finland some types just pre-war were still in use after WWII (liek Morko-Morane and this C-X) . In other countries the huge number of much modern types of massive war time production excluded all aldre machines. You do not see any Hurricane Mk I or Gladiator in 1946 in RAF, even in second line I belive. 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Hi Jerzy, that is a very nice example of a Finnish Fokker in the 'Continuation War' livery. 

Hi Vinni, thank you. Actually this is rather Winter War livery - no yellows markings typic for Continuation War.

56 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Yet another unusual type from the J-W bench, and yet another lovely job!

Keep them coming Jerzy!

Many thanks Ian. I will try to keep them coming, but I am affraid sometime some typic machine will appeaer as well ;)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JWM said:

Hi Vinni, thank you. Actually this is rather Winter War livery - no yellows markings typic for Continuation War.

Regards

J-W

My mistake. I thought the subdued blue over grey hakaristi was adopted for the continuation war.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mitch K said:

I love these late-design biplanes, and this one is a beauty.

Many thanks Mitch!. I have still some biplanes in stash but in last two years I reduced this number a lot ;) Like them also. Before discovering EZ I was a bit tired or afraid doing them. 

22 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I thought the subdued blue over grey hakaristi was adopted for the continuation war.

Vinnie, blue swastika was in Finland a national insignia in whole period 1918-1st April 45, since spring 44 was on grey and earlier was on white circle. Our Finish collegues told me this some weeks ago in WWII section - so I know those details now :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 2