Old Frog kit Mess BF109 1/72

Hairtrigger

I picked up this kit recently ahh memories  - plastic bag version.

All seems perfect even the decals seem pretty good slight yellowing.

I can't decide to do the tropic version - Marseille or to do the Galland version?   Swaying towards the tropic at the moment.

Pre PC brigade it comes with tail swastikas.

I recently built the new mould Airfix 109 lovely little kit really enjoyed it, as usually concentrate on armour models it took me back to my early years of model making.

The Frog version obviously lacking in detail from what I can see  - not removed it from the plastic bag as yet.

Anyone built this kit?

Any thoughts folks?

• Like 1

It's not a bad kit at all. It was the first model of a German aircraft that I ever bought, knocking on 50 years ago, and I used Galland's markings (my father had a copy of "The First and the Last"). In those days, I bought most of my kits from our local newsagent, who stocked a good selection of Airfix: Frog were slightly more exotic but available from a toyshop a mile or so away. I picked up a 109F, less decals, at a recent Huddersfield show: I built it in Regia Aeronautica markings, and I was pleased with the way it turned out. 

• 2 months later...

A product of its time, but (for its day) a beauty. We all built lots of them and modified them into everything from the F-2 to the K-4!

I believe it was Frog's all-time best-seller, and deserved to be.

BD 30/5/18

I remember building this in the late 1970s, with the Marseille option.  My bro did the Galland option some years earlier, both looked impressive.  I seem to recall it was the was one of the better 109 kits of its time, as the Heller 109F was horrible and the Jo-Han 109F/G had too many compromises.  The nose of the Frog kit has some shape issues, but not as bad as the others.  The only problem I ever had with the kit was with one I bought in 1976 which had manufacturing defects - the plastic crumbled when I opened the pack.

The Jo-Han kit was often described as a close "copy" of the Frog.  Although the first Heller F (wasn't it a G inside?) was pretty poor, the later G was much better - if you lengthened the rear fuselage - but it took their retooled K before any 109 was on the market that compared reasonably to modern standards.  (Or, it is tempting to say, to the Bf.109.)

I had four Frog Fs over time, but sold two on and have the partial remains of another in the spares box which may yet be made into some kind of approximate 109 just for the fun of it, should I end up with more time than sense.  It was a nice kit but nothing special and I couldn't get excited about it.