Pictures in Flickr?

I'm trying to put up a picture from Flickr but it's not responding.  Far as I can tell I'm doing it right.   Is there a glitch in the system or is it my computer acting up?

Nowt to do with us, so first thing I'd do is restart your device, and if that doesn't work, talk to Flickr. A few people have had this issue lately on & off, so I suspect it's a transitory issue with their servers. Also, we have a Flickr FAQ in the FAQ section, so have a gander there too :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nowt to do with us, so first thing I'd do is restart your device

Tried that but still the square root of nothing.  Sometimes the steam pressure gets a bit low in the main boiler of my CPU (not saying my pooter's old or anything...)  I now have to decide if the plane is good enough to warrant the effort of finding out what's going on!

Try doing it with another browser too. If you're using Internet Explorer, try not using that. It's poor for compatibility with the Internet for reasons best known to Microsoft :mental:

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 10:01 AM, Mike said:

Try doing it with another browser too

Thanks for the tips, Mike.  I've tried all the browsers I normally use but it still just shrugs and gives me a blank stare.  Not to worry, it's not like you're missing the build of the year or anything.  I'll just give it a whack every now and again in the theory that it will eventually sort itself out (or until I discover I'm making a boneheaded mistake, whichever comes first).

At the bottom of each photo on Flickr there should be a share button, it looks like an arrow pointing to the right. If you click on that it should open a little window with tabs at the top that say Share, Embed, Email & BBCode.

Click on the BBCode, choose what size you want from the dropdown menu (medium is good for forums) and copy the entire URL (it will start with [url=https://). Then paste that into your post on here and sumbit your thread/post.

Hope it helps, and apologies if you already knew this. :)

• Like 1

If you explain the process you use step-by-step and mention any error messages or similar that you get, it'll give the Flickr boffins a better chance of being able to help ;)

1 hour ago, Mr Bowcat said:

Click on the BBCode,

Thanks, Bowcat, I’ll give it a whack when the missus surrenders the computer or when I get the other pooter back from the boffin who is repairing it.  Don’t want to attempt it on the phone 

I found I could only get it to work by clicking the Share button (as Mr Bowcat says, the little arrow pointing to the right, at the bottom right of the screen), then click View All Sizes, select the size you want, then right click the picture and then Copy Image Location.  It's a bit of a convoluted route, but it's the only way I can get it to work. You'd expect better from a huge IT company such as yahoo, but there you go......

Hope this helps,

Mark.

• Like 1

Mark, if you click on the BBcode tab you can copy the URL and all the necessary encoding and then just paste it straight to a forum. It has the same result, just a couple less mouse clicks. :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Bowcat said:

Mark, if you click on the BBcode tab you can copy the URL and all the necessary encoding and then just paste it straight to a forum. It has the same result, just a couple less mouse clicks. :)

That's what I initially tried, but it won't work for me. I don't know whether it's the browsers I use (old versions of Safari and Firefox) or my old OS (hence the old browsers) but the method I use is the only way I can get Flickr images to embed. I learnt this method from someone else who couldn't embed Flickr images.

Cheers,

Mark.

43 minutes ago, Mr Bowcat said:

Exactly the way I go.

You haven't made the image "private" within Flickr or something similar, disabled something?

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Exactly the way I go.

You haven't made the image "private" within Flickr or something similar, disabled something?

No, they're all public. Interesting that it isn't just me. I'm sure it was someone on here who suggested the workaround.

I have to admit, when people disable the download feature, I just screen-shot it!

Use the EMBED option! Right click on the blue-highlighted code bar and then click on COPY. Paste it here. That's it. Easy Peasy. Works smoother than snot on a doorknob.

Chris

50 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Use the EMBED option! Right click on the blue-highlighted code bar and then click on COPY. Paste it here. That's it. Easy Peasy. Works smoother than snot on a doorknob.

Chris

On your computer maybe, but not on mine (and on others' it would seem). I can't understand why it happens, but it does, I can assure you!

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Did you have a look at this?

I did, thanks... Not a sausage.

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I found I could only get it to work by clicking the Share button

Tried that... Zilch.

59 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Use the EMBED option

Tried that... Nada.

Thanks for trying to help out, lads, I'll just have to keep trying.  Maybe the other computer will do it when I get it back from the repair shop where they're replacing the gerbil that pedals the hard drive.

So, when you click on a Flickr image, does it open up onto a page with just that image in the centre of the screen? If so, to the lower right of the picture, are there 4 icons? If so, is one of them a right-pointing arrow?

Chris