SAAF Harvard - Heller 1/72

Hi

Scale Aircraft Modelling went through a stage of offering free decal sheets in the early eighties and I have been meaning to use this one for ...er...over 35 years. Still better late than never.

5c50db57-7abf-4c2c-be4a-b8bb36aaec92.jpg

The Heller kit is showing its age but this was still a fun build.

Capital Model Supplies had the kit advertised at 99p in the above magazine. I paid AUS $10 (about £6)

f10c623b-1cda-4d70-b454-0d626968fa40.jpg

100964e9-3a3d-43e4-a77d-fda77ecb448d.jpg

dca2449c-716d-42b8-b14c-8f18539913e2.jpg

resized_70224562-b1de-4546-a19a-65347c7a

resized_c3bd1077-82cd-45aa-a31a-3e744cfc

Edited by Pinback
Typo
  • Like 24

Beautiful little kit and great build.

Amazingly, the decals still appear to handle well, which is a relief I suspect!

Well done.

JR

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

the decals still appear to handle well

Thanks JR :) - the decals were fine. I popped on some Microscale decal film as a precaution but suspect that even that was unnecessary.

• Like 1

I like that, I have a few of those sheets but alas not the Harvard one, I reckon I'd have been tempted by that one too, I'm fond of the yellow training bands scheme & you've done a cracking job on it.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Looks great!

I don't have a Harvard in my kit stash but your build is an inspiration to change that status.

:goodjob:

Edited by kapam
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

That is nice.

Is that the only 1/72 Harvard with the heavier framed canopy?

Thanks Eric

The Heller kit does not have a heavy frame- Its just careful masking. I went a bit crosseyed doing it :crosseyed:

The only other main mod was the radio mast.

1 minute ago, Eric Mc said:

If I want to build a WW2 era Harvard, is there any 1/72 kit that offers the earlier canopy?

I am pretty sure that the Airfix kit had a heavy canopy -but not sure what era it was -  hope that helps :)

2 minutes ago, Pinback said:

I am pretty sure that the Airfix kit had a heavy canopy -but not sure what era it was -  hope that helps :)

It does but from memory the canopy lines aren’t very well defined.

BTW that’s a lovely Harvard. I’ve also got the same sheet to use ‘sometime’.

Trevor

Yes - the original 1960s era Airfix Harvard was of a WW2 machine - but I was hoping that maybe a more modern WW2 Harvard kit existed. I know that later Airfix Harvard was the Heller one reboxed and I presume so is the Revell version. The only other 1/72 Harvard I'm aware of is the Academy one - which is a post war variant too.

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ve also got the same sheet to use ‘sometime’

Maybe this will inspire you :) - The Southern Knights formation team always make me smile when they put on a display

eb3cb79d-de66-4df5-a0ba-c4cdc37854df.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Yes - the original 1960s era Airfix Harvard was of a WW2 machine - but I was hoping that maybe a more modern WW2 Harvard kit existed. I know that later Airfix Harvard was the Heller one reboxed and I presume so is the Revell version. The only other 1/72 Harvard I'm aware of is the Academy one - which is a post war variant too.

The Academy one could be described as a rescribed version of the Heller example, as was the case with several of their products at the time. There is also the easy build Hobbyboss Texan, but that's a T-6G too.

Mind you, the original Airfix one, which I think could be described as a Harvard IIb, was only ever offered with post-war markings, AFAIK. Oh, you also have the Hawk T-6/SNJ, which is even older and simpler and comes with the benefit of molded-on national insignia if I'm not mistaken!