Beech C45 Expeditor

Rob this looks flippin fabulous cracking work fella. 

Can I just ask what the ally builders tape brand or type you are using is? Is it the widend tape used for sealing the celotex type insulation to make sure no airbags or is it another type? 

Sorry if this is a stupid question 

All the best 

Chris 

Edited by bigbadbadge
Question added
  • Thanks 1

Mine is a bit old And no logo survives.

But yes, that's the stuff. Comes in a couple of widths - I'm using 75mm, 3inch tape.

I had trouble with one brand where the adhesive tended to form into gummy balls and stretchy strings. I just abandoned it and moved on to a different roll.

This is the underside of the elevator, with a little fillet to sit on the fuselage tail,

IMG_20180320_235904

IMG_20180321_000149

Just to give an idea of the sliding arrangement.

I've assembled the seats on the floor between the wings, and the steering columns.

Looks like the instructions are wrong about the control-wheels; photos show them this way up.

I gave them a bit of left hand turn, and then realised it's the pedals that work the rudders!

Well, I can always put some movement on the ailerons to match.....

IMG_20180323_001150

IMG_20180323_001118

So, nearly ready for the big join up!

😀

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 3

I'm just waiting for the seatbelt transfers to dry,

IMG_20180323_224721

But let me tell you about what I'm wondering.

See, I picked this up at the club meeting the other evening...

IMG_20180323_225252

You can probably visualise my intentions with this already, but check out the décor sheet supplied....

IMG_20180323_225330

I KNOW...!

Swissair, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM, Classic Air ...!

So, is there an opportunity to make a civilian décor option for my C45 in 1/48 out of Dakota decals in 1/72??

I'm not obsessed with historic accuracy in every detail. An attractive result in the "looky-likey" category can work for me.

Edited by rob Lyttle

So, the KLM scheme is the (only) one without a white roof - not sure I want to get into that right now.

IMG_20180323_233330

Also, it's the scheme that therefore doesn't have a full -on cheat line across the windows.

The apertures are wrong size and wrong spaces.

The Flying Dutchman banner would fit above the window line.

There's also a blue flash band that goes around the cowlings, so I'm wondering how a DC3 cowling in 1/72 compares with the C45s in 1/48...?

"De Vliegende Hollander" !

That'd be cool😃

• Like 2

I've been trying to figure out what to do with the propeller setup here.

It's a failure of the kit.

Here's the situation...

IMG_20180325_201050

Shafts protrude from the crankcases, and the prop-hubs slide on....... That's IT!

The shaft is too short to do anything with.

So I took them off and drilled the crankcases for new, longer shafts .

I'll use the method that I think of as being East European - I'm sure I've built ICM kits in this style.

I made some rings by stretching sprue round a cocktail stick, I need 2 for each shaft.

IMG_20180325_201854

The first one acts as a stop to hold the propeller clear of the cowling.

The little extension on the prop-hub gets cut off, and the hole drilled right through .

Another ring glues onto the shaft to retain the prop, and then I can trim back excess shaft and fit the proper spinner, which are supplied as an Alternative.

IMG_20180325_202054

The spinner is shown as being cut down, but I need it to fit to the propeller, not the shaft which is stationary.

Still, I bet KLM would've fitted big, deluxe spinners to their Expeditor fleet....... if they had flown them.... 😃

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 3

Rob I always mount the shaft to the prop and make it extra long to prevent droop. I make them removable for transportation. Its an old trick from when i was competing. If you display/compete there is nothing worse than getting to a show and seeing something broken. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, Dennis.

This sounds like good advice!

I should have seen this coming, and worked out a viable option for sorting it out much earlier.

Like before I buried the Radials inside the nacelles.

There was plenty of opportunity for addressing the issue back here....

IMG_20180318_233922

Tsk!

Onwards and upwards.

Do you have an opinion on making a décor scheme up out of the DC3

decal sheet?

There's no evidence that KLM ever had a Beech 18. It's completely fictitious... but it could look pretty!

I think there's many on here who'd be dismayed at the idea 

• Like 1

OK, decision made!

I'm going to have a go with the KLM livery.

I've tried out the bands on the cowlings by splitting them, getting the little darts on the datum line, and I'll fill in the gaps with strips from the rudder decal blue.

IMG_20180326_125141

IMG_20180326_125115

If it all goes wrong, I can scrub them off and think of something else.

De Vliegende Hollander it is!

• Like 4

Nerve racking, isn't it?

Not having something to copy.

IMG_20180326_223529

Just holding the door in place for it's piece of the action.

I improvised a bit around the cockpit skylight etc., And I had to make a cut at the "C" in Dutchman as the stripe wanted to dip towards the tailplane.

😂

IMG_20180326_230509

It turns out the Dutch side is longer! 

Sort that out later 

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 7

I should be trying to sort out the propeller - mounting situation, but having tested the KLM décor.... 

who can resist a big bunch of stickers.?

Side flashes,

IMG_20180326_235045

and wing registration lettering.

Rather than put the DC3 code straight on, I thought I'd better shuffle them a bit.

So I've changed from PH-TCV to PH -VTC.

Then cutting strips to complete the cowlings,

IMG_20180327_213158

They're dipped and floating already, here.

IMG_20180327_231931

The DC3 is shown with the rudder completely covered by Dutch tricolour red white and blue.

I didn't want to obliterate my rudders, so I opted for a flash band towards the top of each fin, and the KLM logo under.

The bands still need trimming here,

IMG_20180327_231040

Fuselage sides reg. as well, and the little flying Dutchman sailing ship logo.

The side flashes curl right over and around the nose, which may - or may not - have worked perfectly on the Dakota.

The decals made a gallant effort to apply themselves to the Beech 18, but little lines are showing foil on the nose.

IMG_20180327_231133

There are two mystery blue stripes supplied on the decal sheet, and I think italeri included them for patching up on the DC3 nose.

I'll either use those, or try some blue gloss to tidy up.

Now, I really got to get on with the props, and stop playing around!😃

• Like 7

The props are on, but no spinners yet- don't know if they should be blue or polished metal...

Tail wheel is assembled and on, but now I have to take a look at the main gear,

b03.jpg

b21.jpg

Those brake lines might be doable and a worthwhile addition - wanted to paste the picture on for my reference.

The planes nose got touched in with blue gloss, and looks fine.

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 2

OK, now I'm doing a double take on those 2 pictures...!

The hydraulic brakes seem to me to be fitted on the OUTSIDE faces of the wheels- the same side that features the exhausts!?

A bit of exhaust pipe can be seen in both pictures...

Gonna have to look into this a bit more.

Any body know what's going on?

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

The props are on, but no spinners yet- don't know if they should be blue or polished metal...

Why not check out there real airliners from the 1950’s and early 60’s ? Its possible you might find a real example. Go to there wiki page those usually list aircraft types operated for airlines. I believe they operated DC-6’s and 7’s around that time. 

• Like 1