Beech C45 Expeditor

Thanks for that, @Biggu. Only one way to find out if you like it.

But I always say get some practice in before you set about your pride and joy.

I set about one of the rudders...

IMG_20180312_121459

Not the easiest zigzag manoeuvre on a fairly thick moulding, but it yielded in the end.

One more to do.

I reckon this tailplane is worth going the extra mile!😃

I'll probably stick with the kit decal sheet for this one, although there are some great civilian styles out there too.

Funny enough, I met Mr Belcher and Mrs too. They were on the way to the Telford Show. and just happened to come in the sweet shop in Winchester .

Edited by rob Lyttle
add on
  • Like 2

The tailplane is coming along bit by- bit.

IMG_20180313_005059

The two quadrants that represent the extensions on the rudders were cut off the tailplane moulding.

One was glued in place on the port rudder, and then the other was glued on top of that. So I've got max deflection "left hand stick" and the slide join is fully extended.

The other side will have the slide join fully closed, with the same left turn deflection .

IMG_20180313_005145

That's both little quadrant bits on the port rudder.

IMG_20180313_005313

That just leaves a recess in the side of the starboard rudder where It's quadrant piece would have fitted.

I'll fabricate something to fill the gap, and maybe a little bit protruding to look like it's sliding into the tailplane fairing.

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2018 at 11:58 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Some nice detail coming to light around the nacelles and wings 

b06.jpg

I'm just putting the little cockpit roof-windows in, now that the roof area is foiled.

I've just been looking at the current Flypast, and there's a lovely view showing this a large fairing running chordwise across the fuselage, widening where it goes onto the wing and ending against the nacelle.  This was new to me, but here it is again.  I can only assume it is to do with cabin heating, but it seems excessive.  Any ideas?  And when did it appear - should it be on a lot more models or only current examples?

Edited by Graham Boak
Magazine and text corrected
  • Like 1

No sign of any thing like that on photos and drawings that I've got.

But I'm on a steep learning curve with the Expeditor, starting from almost zero!

I guess there's been many one-off mods tried over the years to suit requirements 

I've hauled out the magazine - the photo is of G-BKGL currently on the British show circuit.  Which aircraft are these close-ups of?  if a different aircraft, then this is a standard bit of kit not a one-off.  I've also altered my original post to amplify and correct matters.

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I've just been looking at the current Flypast, and there's a lovely view showing this a large fairing running chordwise across the fuselage, widening where it goes onto the wing and ending against the nacelle

Ive looked at the photos of G-BKGL online. Is the fairing you're talking about the one on the bottom of the wing between the nacelles ? If that is the one. I agree it might be a cabin heat exchanger fairing ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Heres a picture from the internet of what is listed as G-BKGL. lXHmAlr.jpg

You can see the fairing between the nacelles. Like Graham said and i agree that its probably a heat exchanger for cabin heat.

Dennis 

the photo is the property of whomever posted it to the internet.  I just used it for information purposes. 

• Like 1

My instructions indicate black leading edges on outer wings, tailplane and lower fins, presumably to indicate de-icing boots.

Not seeing much of that in the photo references!

Any opinions?

Later fit?

Cold climate spec?

C45=Tricky little subject, isn't it!!

Underside wing features solved then, thanks to @gingerbob.

A less than subtle spar reinforcement.

I suppose it stands to reason -

They already had a heating system installed.

And if you wanted a replacement, you'd put the plumbing somewhere in an uncritical space and leave the main wing spar area well alone!

Must be a real challenge keeping these old birds airworthy!

Edited by rob Lyttle

Rob, I lovin this and I did try your idea on a Revell, yet to be built Ford trimotor, with all the corrugated 'aluminum' , I tried a small very curved area of the top wing and it worked like a charm, also I managed to pull it off with no problems at all, which leads me to believe it will be somewhat forgiving if ( when ) I mess it up.....I am also thinking it will be a GOOD replacement for chrome wheel opening moldings on car models...... again, thanks for being brave enough and generous to post your work, you have put to rest many of my trepidations.... I am following with great interest....

Jeff

• Like 2

Little bit of modelling done as time permits,

IMG_20180314_155822

This is the top of the wing, which is a fairly regular single curve until the nacelle bulge.

I've split the foil from this point to let the coverage continue on the wing.

I also left a mm uncovered for the fuselage edge to glue to.

IMG_20180314_170714

Trimmed and buffed up, panel lines picked out again and good to go.

The top of the nose has been bothering me because it looked dipped or sunk a little, right in front of the screen.

Anyway I tried a bit of filling , and it Was needed after all.

IMG_20180314_170646

The screen itself needed just a little abrasive action top and bottom to let it click into place, so snug I just left it in place - no glue reqd.!

Safest option really, when it comes to me, glue and transparencies....

Some strips of foil top and bottom and glazing bars.

I noticed on some pics a pair of windscreen wipers. I've already done one for my B57 Canberra, so I might have a go later.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Safest option really, when it comes to me, glue and transparencies

You’d think so until your carrying the model and it pops out just in time and the right way to be stepped on by you. 😉  Sorry I've had that happen before. 

• Like 1

I hear you, Dennis.

But I have the added benefit of strips of sticy-back Ali on joints.

IMG_20180314_214957

The reflection makes it look like I've been trying a smiley sharks mouth!

Glad I did that bit of filling on the top of the nose - that would have bugged me when it showed through the foil.

IMG_20180314_215023

• Like 5

In between aeroplane building sessions, I have been working on some furniture projects...

IMG_20180315_224348

The two to the front are the pilots' seats, and each has 5 parts - 2 for the seat bit and 3 for the support arrangements!

Really, who's going to see that??

Somebody at ICM is a furniture enthusiast!

Oh, and seatbelts for all, on the transfer sheet.

Seen some discussion on BM etc about the bronze greens and mixing ratios for the interior and fittings - you know, what's correct for USAF spec. interior etc.

I just can't get interested at ALL in that. I just did some greens and stuff. Who cares? - it's the plane I'm interested in!

• Like 2

On the foil scene, I want to get as much of the wing surfaces done while they are flat on the table, before the big join up.

IMG_20180315_222630

Having a left and right is always handy, so one can be getting the foil and the other is a reference for where the panel lines and details are.

• Like 2

There's been action, and it's been testing at times.

The main challenge has been the engine nacelles, and with all those compound curves going on, it was expected!

Again, the Plan was to get as much foil covering done as possible before joining top and bottom.

IMG_20180317_181849

Here is a strip of foil going over the top section of nacelle and cowling.

Easy so far, but now it's going over the front curve of the cowling...

IMG_20180317_182606

Working from the centre line, and easing the excess foil out towards the sides where it can be trimmed off at the panel lines.

Little segments at back and sides to fill in down to the wing surfaces,

IMG_20180317_233619

Then some more on the cowling,

IMG_20180317_234025

IMG_20180317_234139

And so on....

Underside as well of course!

So it's been challenging. A few pieces were peeled off in disgust, thrown away and done again.

But gradually I got there.

IMG_20180318_001736

Now that little insert is a piece to represent the cooling gills, and I think I'll try to use them instead of scratching something out of Ali sheet. 

Any way, some time later....

IMG_20180318_233922

Some internal assembly including a length of sprue frame reinforcement between the engine bulkhead and the front of the u/c bay,,

IMG_20180318_233949

Nail clippers saw some action on the tops of those bulkheads as I tried to get the nacelle halves to go together.... It's been a laugh, I tellya!😂

But lo and behold...

IMG_20180318_235136

There's issues to deal with, especially around the cowlings, but a mountain has been climbed.

Feels like it, Anyway!!

As the famous CedB is known to have said,

"I need a lie down" 😃

• Like 2

Quick reminder of what I'm supposed to be achieving...

b02.jpg

So the top/bottom joints on the cowlings are not the panel joints on the plane.

Hmmmm 

But check out the big cover strip on the nacelle to wing join!

b12.jpg

A few more details for me to ponder 

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

There's a bit of cowling work going on in stages, so as not to drive me nuts.....!

But in between, I'm doing other things, like the wing leading edges,

IMG_20180319_201424

All prepped up and ready for a long narrow strip along the outer l.e.

The inner section is short but a bit more involved.

I cut a curved side in the foil to allow for the side of the nacelle,

IMG_20180319_203541

and fitted it across the front over the two intakes 

IMG_20180319_203846

Then just worked it back above and below to the panel lines.

And cleaned up the intakes,

IMG_20180319_204731

IMG_20180319_205715

Ready for another bash at the cowlings..... I love them really!?

• Like 5

Enough progress to warrant a quick masking tape assembly of wings to fuselage, and off to the club meeting.

FB_IMG_1521754214098

The cowlings are coming on OK, and a few other things are progressing, 

Rivets...

IMG_20180320_232740

IMG_20180320_232726

IMG_20180320_233158

IMG_20180321_000225

There's more done, but I keep losing it as I switch between flickr and here, so I'll paste this bit...😠

• Like 5