Fujimi 1/72 British Phantom - Nose too short?

Dave Fleming

John,

this is fantastic stuff, Thank You for seeing all the trouble in scanning and posting the pictures:)

These drawings will be a great source of information when I start my "Double Double-Ugly" build (Airfix FG.1 and Hasegawa FGR.2). I'm planning to use the Airfix kit as a "ruler" and check Hasegawa shapes against it (I'm not totally convinced about the fuselage shape of the Hasegawa offering). Let's see what happens...

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 2

I'm very tired, as I've had to spend the last few days at home with my children, so could I trouble someone to recapitulate, if it was ever determined, whether the Airfix or Fujimi Phantoms are more accurate in length?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Thanks James, as an airframe the Phantom is a mystery to me. I hope what I've posted helps in some small way?  If not just enjoy and marvel at the extraordinary quality of the technical drawing skils!

I told you Tommy would know!

I love these technical illustrations, and it is great to see the Phantom uncovered like this, I am marveling at your posts John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm very tired, as I've had to spend the last few days at home with my children, so could I trouble someone to recapitulate, if it was ever determined, whether the Airfix or Fujimi Phantoms are more accurate in length?

I feel your pain!

The dimensions are in, but no verdict has been given it seems.

A quick and dirty from me,

The real aircraft is 57' 7" (to rear edge of the parachute door) which equates to 243.8mm in 1:72nd. 

From radome tip to the aft edge of the parachute door the Fujimi kit is 241.5mm, including the tail light and fuel dump adds almost another 1mm.

The Airfix kit is given as 244mm long.  That is taken from the box info, mines at work so can't measure it at the mo.

So it looks like the Airfix just pips the Fujimi to the post in the total length sense.

...not that it changes my mind at all about the Fujimi kit!:penguin:

• Thanks 2

Sorry to come back into this thread, having been warned off by the mods for fanning the flames, but the thread had nothing to do with comparing the Fujimi and Airfix offerings as I read it. It seemed to be a comparison of a photograph of the real thing with the nose shape of Fujimi's 30 year old offering, which in view of the information available then seems a very reasonable kit. I'd better shut up now before I earn a 60 day holiday.

I don't think that the extra question was unwarranted here, especially as we have gone to the trouble of measuring the kit.

Talking of which, what is the verdict now that you have measurements?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For absolute clarity for the hard of thinking: does this mean that, if modelling from a Fujimi kit an aircraft where the radome is in a different colour from the airframe, the colour demarcation needs to be shifted back 2mm?  If so, sounds a refreshingly simple fix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Wonder how long a take off run she had with that load?

Fancy getting one and building it out the box.....just airfix hunter in black....basic but bland that looks warry....just for fun but the inaccuracies might annoy me ....not a rivet co7nter but it has to look realish

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 1

Realish? I can't recall ever seeing an RAF (let alone 41 Sqn) Phantom carrying MERs on the outer pylons (or at all).

Let alone whatever flavour of Bullpup that's on the inner pylons.

I've had the kit at one time, along with the FROG re-tweak of it and the Revell stab at it, but a poor F-4J with circular jet pipes does not make a Spey Phantom.

2 hours ago, Reparty said:

Realish? I can't recall ever seeing an RAF (let alone 41 Sqn) Phantom carrying MERs on the outer pylons (or at all).

Let alone whatever flavour of Bullpup that's on the inner pylons.

I've had the kit at one time, along with the FROG re-tweak of it and the Revell stab at it, but a poor F-4J with circular jet pipes does not make a Spey Phantom.

Err thats why its just for fun..think I know enough about OME mate

On 6/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, Scimitar said:

Wonder how long a take off run she had with that load?

Especially on grass, as it doesn't seem to have taken off from the runway. Unless the pilot is just beating up the airfield, which is probably inadvisable while loaded with 12 bombs, 2 Bullpups and a recce pod.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

while loaded with 12 bombs, 2 Bullpups and a recce pod.

and the Sparrows.

Let's face it though,all box art of that period was a bit of a fantasy and it probably worked as how many of us as youngsters bought them despite probably knowing little about the actual aircraft?

As @junglierating says,all good fun.