1/32 Wingnut Wings Sopwith Dolphin

All,

Just completed WNW's latest offering, the Sopwith Dolphin.

Although not one of the most elegant of aircraft, it does have an appeal about it - I was actually pleased when WNW released a kit of this often overlooked WW1 fighter.

Kit goes together very well with the exception of a tight engine fit and and even tighter lower wing fit.  Other than that, the usual high standard from WNW.  Nothing special here, built entirely OOB and finished by brush as always. 

NJiTPeK.jpg

hakzZcp.jpg

Q48nbBH.jpg

pNc9PRS.jpg

US1d1Yv.jpg

UgLJ92g.jpg

hJd24Ow.jpg

kQtXaCy.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 20

Another beauty Dave. I agree that it has an ugly attractiveness to it. I like the shade of PC10 you have used, was it one you mixed or got 'off the shelf'?.

Also the exhausts look really good, and tips on how you did them?

Cheers

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Another beauty Dave. I agree that it has an ugly attractiveness to it. I like the shade of PC10 you have used, was it one you mixed or got 'off the shelf'?.

Also the exhausts look really good, and tips on how you did them?

Cheers

John

Many thanks, John

PC10 colour was my own mix of Revell yellow 42 and various shades of brown until I was happy with the shade I was trying to achieve.  Exhaust colour painting is result of my experimenting with paint.  I started with base colour of steel (I always use Revell acrylics 'aqua colour' range of paints) followed by mixing a wash of dark brown, rust and a small bit of steel mixed in.   I covered the exhaust with this.  I then progressively lightened the already mixed wash and dry (damp) brush over the exhaust surface until I got a look I was after - I'm still experimenting on this approach but it generally seems to work.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely build. 

What did you use to rig it with?

Pete

Thank you Pete

Rigged using elastic thread mostly Prim knitting elastic which WNW recommended for simulating RAF aerodynamic wires.  Uschi fine elastic thread used for control cables.  I painted both steel before installing.

Regards

Dave

22 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Thank you Pete

Rigged using elastic thread mostly Prim knitting elastic which WNW recommended for simulating RAF aerodynamic wires.  Uschi fine elastic thread used for control cables.  I painted both steel before installing.

Regards

Dave

Many thanks Dave. 

Got the WNW early Snipe in the stash, need to pluck up the courage to start it as rigging is out of my comfort zone. 

Pete

45 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Many thanks Dave. 

Got the WNW early Snipe in the stash, need to pluck up the courage to start it as rigging is out of my comfort zone. 

Pete

Pete

Rigging is not difficult but it can be very fiddly on occasion as well tedious pre drilling holes to thread line through!

Happy to provide help/advice if needed please feel free to drop me a PM.

Dave

• Like 1

Having seen this earlier today Dave, I continue to be blown away by the finish that you get on your models with a hairy stick. The PC10 shade is also first class - come to that so is the rest of the model. Looking forward to more.

P

• Thanks 1

P, Gary and Gary

Thank you all kindly

10 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Hi Dave

Fellow WNW fan.  What a great job, have not the Dolphin kit but sorely tempted on seeing your finished article, great job!

Gary

You must build this one it is good kit and not as tricky to get together as WNW s recent Camel kit which I found very fiddly especially the cockpit structure.

The Dolphin is much easier only issue I experienced was a very tight fit on the lower wing.

Would love to see some of your WNW models.

Regards

Dave