Thunderchief - at rest

Sorry but I lied.... just three more.

These are others I've taken shots of Stateside. All were taken in May 1979, the two preserved machines being at Lackland AFB and the cockpit being amongst the Thud bits at Davis Monthan AFB.54-0107 was a straight B model (the third Thud built) and used for testing.  54-0105 is a JF-105B, a projected recce version that failed One of only two built. She was used for testing also. Sadly when I saw her she was in this ficticious scheme whereas in reality se had a glorious natural metal/red scheme, coded "JF-1". The cockpit is of 60-0438, once a Bitburg machine. It is shown in the RIT (reclamation) area.

Lak1

Lak2

MASDC1

Martin

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting these photos. You're correct that the middle photo in the Wild Weasel scheme,  is actually the prototype for the never built RF-105 If you blow up the photo you can make out the flat sides to the nose. And the overpainted/reskinned camera window in that flat plane. I have two photo’s of this plane already one color, one black & white. Both have slight variations of test colorschemes. Someday i will build that Thud. 

Dennis

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you for posting these photos. You're correct that the middle photo in the Wild Weasel scheme,  is actually the prototype for the never built RF-105 If you blow up the photo you can make out the flat sides to the nose. And the overpainted/reskinned camera window in that flat plane. I have two photo’s of this plane already one color, one black & white. Both have slight variations of test colorschemes. Someday i will build that Thud. 

Dennis

I remember the JF-105B and had considered a conversion using the old Hasegawa kit years ago, but never proceeded with it. Yep- good old Lackland has a nasty habit of repainting the aircraft in their collection every so often as they fade and weather in our hot Texas sun, but each time they do this, the airplane gets farther and farther from its original colors and markings; which is a shame, as they have some very rare prototypes and test machines. Sure wish the money was available to get them out of the weather or indoors. The last WW2 airplane in their collection that was still in its original paint was their very rare RP-63G "Pinball," but it was stripped of its international orange paint years ago and repainted  silver! Grrrr!

Mike

• Sad 1

Yes I know Lackland AFB has there fun with planes. I spent some time there in the fall of 1989. If i had the $ Id gladly donate it to build a proper facility. 

In fact ive been to multiple little museums over the years I would also like to see done properly indoors. Grissom AFB in Indiana has a great collection, Chanutes old collection is rotting outdoors currently, South Dakota’s Air & Space museum at Ellsworth AFB Has a great collection, & MAPS air museum at Cantons international airport all have Beautiful collections that desperately need help. I have 1500 photos from rare museums on file that i can’t transfer or post as i have no computer( only cellular). I want to do a coffee table/reference book of these small museums someday and will when i can. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes I know Lackland AFB has there fun with planes. I spent some time there in the fall of 1989. If i had the $ Id gladly donate it to build a proper facility. 

I was disappointed when Kelly AFB closed and  was turned over to civilian development- just the ANG and AFR sections are still under USAF control. They could have made a wonderful museum by using a few of those huge hangars, some of which are historical architecture in their own right. There is also a huge labor pool of active duty and retired maintenance people here in San Antonio who could have been used for restoration and renovation of the aircraft- all of which are the property of the Air Force Museum, IIRC...don't get me started! I have fond memories of my Dad, whose office was adjacent to the parade ground, taking me around to see all of the aircraft that were displayed all around the base... back in the mid-fifties many were still in their original markings.

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

their very rare RP-63G "Pinball," but it was stripped of its international orange paint years ago and repainted  silver! Grrrr!

Hi Mike!

I have an image of that in those colours from the same trip. 

Whaever happened to the XC-99?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Mike!

I have an image of that in those colours from the same trip. 

Whaever happened to the XC-99?

Martin

Martin,

After being parked outside at Kelly for so many years, suffering from vandals, exposure, and damage by hailstorms, it was taken up by a group that was going to restore it, so it was pushed off of the military part of the field. Evidently little to nothing was done in this regard, so the Air Force Museum took possession of it, and it was broken down and transported to Wright Pat for eventual restoration and display. I have attached a link that shows the status of this very rare and significant aircraft as of 2006. I used to look at her every time I was at Kelly, and it was sad to see how she was suffering. One of the teachers on my staff's father was the flight engineer on her all during the time she was being flown, and he had a ton of photos he had taken  of the interior and exterior during the time he was in charge of her . When he passed away, I helped her donate all of his photos and memorabilia to the AFM for eventual display with the XC-99. By all accounts it was a very reliable airplane that gave long and faithful service to the USAF. She will be an impressive mate to the B-36 already on display. IIRC, there was a vacform conversion to use with the 1/72 Monogram kit, but that was so long ago I can't remember who did it.

Mike

http://www.air-and-space.com/xc99.htm