TAMIYA T34/76 1943 PRODUCTION

Evening all....quick update. Came a cross an image of T34/76 with a cool markings layout. Decided to go with it, and next step is to paint the slogan.....and now sealed with a supposedly flat varnich (need to find a true "FLAT" sealing varnish, once all what I have runs out....:idea:

Once the slogan is done.......time to make it looks like it earns it's living on the front line.....nite all....B)

S2AGT9A.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Etienne said:

Hi,

super clean build as usual ... always a pleasure to follow your projects B)

E

Thanks Etienne......appreciate that. I'm as I said, going forward with this one to try out all the new techniques that have developed since the last time I did any real modelling. Wash's, pigments, etc etc. Making a few mistakes here and there, and have really made some mistakes on the airbrushing, but that's what I'm doing this one for anyway - before I go on to the ore complicated German AFV's I have rowed up n front of me.

Well, some paperwork this afternoon, but I hope to get the Soviet slogans done today. Got to "brush up" on my hand painting......cheers

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

oh now that does look good... like the additions of handles but that red side is what draws me to this... I like the unusual so looking forward to seeing this build up further (and to nick tips/tricks for my own work)

• Thanks 1

I've never bought Russian armour kits, but this golden oldie from Tamiya is one of those 'one day I will get myself one of those' kits. And you're sure makingsalivate! Sadly, other projects are going to last me a few years, so I suspect I'll never get around to it. Love the super-detailing and the painting techniques. Lovely greens/geen-yellows.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

oh now that does look good... like the additions of handles but that red side is what draws me to this... I like the unusual so looking forward to seeing this build up further (and to nick tips/tricks for my own work)

1 hour ago, Badder said:

I've never bought Russian armour kits, but this golden oldie from Tamiya is one of those 'one day I will get myself one of those' kits. And you're sure makingsalivate! Sadly, other projects are going to last me a few years, so I suspect I'll never get around to it. Love the super-detailing and the painting techniques. Lovely greens/geen-yellows.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi both....long time since we chatted. Thanks for the positive comments, really appreciate them for my first foray for many years.

Getting use to the "new" techniques of our hobby is in someways the exciting part of working through this one. I saw a pic some time ago Rob,  of a T34/76 with the sides painted red like this and then a slogan painted across. I thought it looked striking, so kept it in mind. here she stands at present, slogans an all.

lt7dmy4.jpg

I like this modulation technique Badder...... I see a lot, especially from Mig Jimenez. I realised you have to over accentuate the colour as with wash's and filters it dulls them down. I remember many, many years ago; I use to do this wash technique. But by the time you had finished, the AFV was virtually black.....:o. So going the lime green route works....... (I have to say I was worried, looked like it was glowing...:idea:

XXDu7bL.jpg

8DjkyqR.jpg8ZyFQYq.jpg

Well, here she stands....off to cook dinner.....see you later both.

• Like 6

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to TAMIYA T34/76 1943 PRODUCTION

Hi Clive, how are you mate...long time. Thanks for that, makes it worth while......:D Just sitting here contemplating the next steps....I think chipping and rust lines. Then I think "muddy boot"s for this one. Have a crack at making mud and applying. Then blending in with splatter and airbrushed dust. 

Thanks again

Simon.

I'm reviewing my Mig Jimenez "how to" sheets right now......... Sometimes I feel like I'm on Masterchef checking the recipie......:worry:...stressful,.like baking a bloody cake on "Great British Bake off"...... :cake:.:D

Simon.

• Haha 1

those slogans are superb - hand-painted??? i have been a bit slow in looking on here recently, life has got in the way... need to finish my Holmes Wrecker and AEC Mk1 then start my next build....

• Thanks 1

Russian horse looks very good at this stage. 

If you still looking for mat varnish I would recommend the Vallejo Acrylic 26.518. Is even better then Tamiya XF-86. Vallejo give you a perfect mat, then Tamiya little bit of satin, even if it says flat. 

• Thanks 1

if you are after matt varnish (or gloss) windsor & newton are superb... get the larger pots with yellow flip top lids.... spray neat, really good finish

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rob, you know I think I actually picked up that stuff when I went to get some odourless thinners. I wasn’t sure, but if you recommend it, I’ll try it and see. 

Ill have to check Kris, I think that Vallejo mar is wheat I used. Maybe I put it on too thick. I’ll check if it’s the same bottle number when I get home.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Simon.

I second what @robw_uk said. Winsor and Newton Galeria varnish is great stuff, especially the matt, which would take the shine off the sun if you could get close enough.  Make sure you give it a good shake before use. Oh and the gloss might need two or three coats.

The Jiminez vids are well worth a watch aren't they? Not sure how much you've 'copied' his techiques, but I suspect a lot is natural talent on your part. Your T34 is looking beautiful, and right up there with the very best.

Rearguards,

Badder

2 minutes ago, Badder said:

I second what @robw_uk said. Winsor and Newton Galeria varnish is great stuff, especially the matt, which would take the shine off the sun if you could get close enough.

I would third that. Although a cautionary note re taking the shine off the sun: mind you don't get burnt - do it at night, you'll be ok :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, clive_t said:
8 minutes ago, Badder said:

I second what @robw_uk said. Winsor and Newton Galeria varnish is great stuff, especially the matt, which would take the shine off the sun if you could get close enough.

I would third that. Although a cautionary note re taking the shine off the sun: mind you don't get burnt - do it at night, you'll be ok :D

Now I want to see the film 'Sunshine' by Danny Boyle. Great film. That's REAL sunburn that is.

15 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon.

I second what @robw_uk said. Winsor and Newton Galeria varnish is great stuff, especially the matt, which would take the shine off the sun if you could get close enough.  Make sure you give it a good shake before use. Oh and the gloss might need two or three coats.

The Jiminez vids are well worth a watch aren't they? Not sure how much you've 'copied' his techiques, but I suspect a lot is natural talent on your part. Your T34 is looking beautiful, and right up there with the very best.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder, really appreciate the thumbs up......I've spent years of frustration reading all the online "how to" guides, but never having the time to do it. Now I have the time, I can only say that "enjoying the moment" is an understatement. Jiminez for me is one of my faves. I have a modulation guide I am going to follow of his, to the letter; and see how it turns out. I have a background in scenic painting and design, so it's helping somewhat with the painting, and understanding colour effects and detail. My goal is to enter something in Telford show maybe one day. Have to see.....🤔

The Windsor and Newton seems to be the way to go, so thats on my shopping list this week. I have seal the chipping I managed to do over the last couple of days.

15 hours ago, clive_t said:

Funny Clive, I'll get my oven mitts out and sunglasses and give it try........😎

Here's where I left off. I won't be back on the "Green Machine" until the weekend; maybe Sunday. 

Cheers all, chat again soon.

ZHSmStV.jpg

F9LaQff.jpg6f6bece.jpg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Wow, that's looking great!

11 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Chipping looks very realistic.

Thanks guy's.......I thought at one point I'd over done it. But realised it too late. But I discovered I could "scrub" some off with a short bristle brush. It actually improved it and softened the light green back a little. The dark rust was also lightly scrubbed after. I've learnt a lot on this one, and that method I'll use again. My big hurdle now is MUD....😫. Have to sit and do some reading and give a shot......he say's apprehensively....😳....I picked up some Windsor & Newton Galleria modelling paste....give it go.

Well, off to an appointment. Maybe if the the day goes well, I'll hitting the mud this afternoon. Do some trials on an aborted Panzer 1 I have knocking around.

See you later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

....I picked up some Windsor & Newton Galleria modelling paste....give it go... Do some trials on an aborted Panzer 1 I have knocking around.

I am waiting for report and photos.

I’ll see if I get time this weekend Kris to get the Matt varnish. If not I might go with what I have to keep things moving forward. I’ll do some mud trial and show you maybe today or tomorrow.

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1