M-60A1 or M-60A3 here with summer verdant merdc camo?

Davide Calzolari

any help appreciated,no one could tel me if the merdc green variants was  worn even by the A3s? (some says only the usmc a1 had that camo..!gosh!)

Edited by italian intruder

tracks are those one newer that started with a3 but many told me even the older a1 got retrofitted with the same better tracks:so mistery continues,please help :)

It looks like an A3 to me. It belongs to D Company of the 2nd Battalion of the 37th Armored Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. Can't be sure but it could be Reforger '82 as 1st Infantry Div were part of Blue Force for that exercise and this vehicle has blue Reforger placards on the turret.

Summer verdant was rare in USAREUR - most units stayed with the Winter Verdant camo (brown and green, rather than two greens).

Cheers,

Centaur

centaur: thnxxxx-

btw the tpics is surely before 1983 (there is not the  pasgt helmet,only the old m1)

and again: the camo si surely summer verdant,don't u find?-winter,tropical (probably never worn by an m-60)and deserts were absolutely different-am i right?

A1 had coincident range finder on turret side,but it is covered

A1 had different tracks but I'm not good with them at all

A3 had a different gun shield but is once again covered

A3 also had the commander cupola modified as it was more lower but is not that clear

There is something also related to fender differences between A1 and A3 but I have a complete lack of clear references

ok found some old stuff

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=98188&page=1

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/998315004/Differences+between+M60A1+and+M60A3

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite
  • Like 1

thnx.btw (..and that's the problem )since a certain moment(half 70's?)A1s were retrofitted with the A3s same tracks

Edited by italian intruder

Maybe turret's cheek do speak and I do indeed see something different but I guess it will remain a mystery

Italian M60,sadly when they did some kind of open day in Cagliari they parked a mere Leopard in here

01.jpg

'merican M60A3 front turret weld are different

M60A3_REFORGER_'85_DF-ST-85-13241.JPEG

even more talk but no pics

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1209017170/Tamiya+M60A3-

more stuff

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/pics/m60.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=10616&d=1289

I give up :D

Luigi

• Like 1

Ok, here goes. 

As far as the tracks, all M60A0 had the rubber chevron tracks, some were later fitted with the rubber pad style in reserve units. Early M60A1's had a mix, later production had the rubber block tracks. Early USMC A1's were retrofitted with rubber block tracks just prior to the first Gulf War. As far as I know all M60A3's wore rubber block tracks. Remember the A3 was just an A1 with mods to the gunnery system. US Marines did not use A3's at all. 

I am only aware of the USMC use of MERDC. Desert training tanks were painted mostly Gray Desert.  Some Red Desert appears on SP artillery in the desert at 29 Palms California. West coast - 1st tank battalion were Summer Verdant. East coast - 2nd Tank Battalion, wore winter verdant.  The remainder of the vehicles followed these guidelines. The thought was west coast Marines would deploy to the far east and the east coast Marines to Europe.  

G

AgentG ok but, question,directly:

is in the pic ive posted above,the fotocolor one, an A3 or not? (as seen mainly no one can see the sleeve on the cannon because covered with the camo  web  )

thnx in ad.