Nordair 737-200

Paul J

My next one is now in progress just while I wait for things to settle with my 738.

Some pics:

IMG_0033.jpg

The kit and decals for this one.

IMG_0015.jpg

A comparison of the older -200 tailplane over the -800 one. Much the same except the span.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Rescribing the panel lines. They may not be accurate the way the kit was tooled but I am not going to be too fussy with this one.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

I blanked the windows from iside with straight lengths of sprue and then used filler on the outside. Left to harden so a session of sanding could commence.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

I think I will use the kit engines as is with all the raised detail rubbed down and try to make them look a best I can.

Thats it for now. Going over to the West Jet build and add progress report and pics there.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice to see yet another -200 on the go. The kit is basic and a quick build ( unless you botch the paint :angry:)

Cheers. It is and will be a quickie. After the above pics were done the fuselage went together with weighted nose and all filler sanded down. Lost some of the raised detail but not too bothered. Will rescribe some of them I expect Wings and engines done as sub assemblies. 

Just need to plan how the painting will be done and try the decals. I only hope they stick on better than the ones I used on my Nordair Twin Otter. Had adhesion problem with those.  Is it due to the way Fantasy Printshop do them??

Also  noticed that the decals fuselage cheat lines lack the white border to the bottom edge of the stripe. It needs to be about 2mm wide. I have a couple ways to sort this .. Mask the separation between the light grey lowers and white top at the right position or use stripe decal place at the correct level then overlay it with the blue stripe which seems a lot easier as this will avoid getting that ridge from paint masking.

Was having a very wild idea when getting on with the engines... I was thinking how it would look with the redundant engines from the Revell kit... nah,, tooo crazy...!!

Seems like you have a plan paint wise. To avoid the ridge spray at an angle from the masked area toward the are to be painted. Use light coats as well.

I have a few Fantasy print shop sheets and have not had any issues using them yet.

Been looking at photos of the subject and see that some have a probe or what I think are de icer spray bars attached to the underside forward end of each engine. Also another feature on some with a rig of some kind to the nose wheel arrangement probably a stone guard or something? And to accommodate this, a surround to the nose wheel bay. It does seem though that these are detachable and fitted when need for adverse landing conditions in the great white NORTH!   However I won't be doing the nosewheel fixture but may have a go at the engine attachments... just as a bit of interest.

Thanks for the spraying  tip Ray, I'll give that a try.

Hi Paul.

I believe they were part of the gravel deflection kit, designed to keep debris out of the engine intakes by disturbing the airflow.  I believe they would only have been fitted in conjunction with the nose-wheel deflector so worth bearing that in mind.

Chris.

2 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

I've come across a photo of a Nordair 737 with the engine 'vortex dissipators' (to use Boeing's term for them), but with the normal nosewheel arrangement fitted.

http://www.dhc-2.com/YYZ_Oldies.html

Around halfway down the page.

Dave

I stand corrected. 

Chris.

^ I thought the same as you Chris, that the two items were always used together. 

I was looking at photos of Nordair planes because I've got a sheet of the original decals, but was never sure if the blue was right (it seems to vary a lot in pictures -like a lot of things!), when I spotted it.

Dave

42 minutes ago, halcyonjet said:

^ I thought the same as you Chris, that the two items were always used together.

Dave

I guess there will always be the exception to any optional equipment fit Dave.  I should have researched more thoroughly before posting but you know how it is.

Chris.

• Like 1

Yes, there are lots of variations with the funny add ons to the Nordair 737s. I came across lots of pics while googling and some with both, some with just the engine fit and some with none. Still have time to decide which I will go for. I'll be happy with the blue of the decals on this build. It will match the other Nordair models I have made 1/72 and 1/144. I did notice on one of the pics where there must have been some repainting where the grey differs. Also probably early ones with bare metal fuselage with the light grey central area.  As always there are sooo many variations.

• Like 1

Progressed to decalling stage and final assembly over the weekend. Will post pics up later after work Also final bits done to my West Jet -800.

Update of the Nordair 737-200 build:

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Fuselage sub assembly and wings. This one is speeding along...  Was tempted to fit the spare Revell engines to make a -300 but that wouldn't be dead right and only for a fanciful whif!

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

white primer on.

IMG_0011.jpg

And then the gloss top coat. Note the wing decal applied from the Revell kit leftovers. Just need to trim them up.

IMG_0017.jpg

Preparing to add the decals.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Starting to look like one of those snap together ready painted models you can buy on your holiday flights!

IMG_0023.jpg

The 'coroguard down the middle of the wing is the decal from the Revell kit as mentioned above trimmed. While the escape route arrows are on the Thunderbird set. Fits a treat where needed. Lots of decal solvent added to help the decal sink down snugly over the wing vortex generators. It might not be very accurate but it beat painting!!

• Like 3

Some more pics of progress.

IMG_0025.jpg

Still looking like a snap together ready painted kit...

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Since the above pics, main assemblies are all done and final decals now on. Just need to add a couple aerials and the undercarriage. Would have done pics last night for the above mentioned work but battery died as I was about to take first pic. And the spare was being charged!

• Like 2

On 3/7/2018 at 22:41, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I like you subassembly method Paul, as you may have noticed I slap most of the model together before painting to avoid those pesky wing to fuselage seams.

Cheers. Not my usual method. Its just the way it was working out. I mainly did it so the decal for the fuselage would settle better laying flat. Also, the wings would get in the way while applying the long fuselage stripes which are quite delicate to use. The wings too, as I used the surplus wing walk/coroguard decal from the Revell kit trimmed as shown in pics. The wing to fuselage join on my kit were pretty good but just a bit sloppy so definitely need glue to hold them in but no filler... luckily. Had to apply glue carefully to avoid marking the paintwork. The tailplanes too, fitted well with careful gluing.

All being well, completed builds in gallery tonight.

A couple pics just prior o finalising:

IMG_3019.jpg

Complete except for the red 'arctic' wingtip markings to go on. Planned to use white decal cut to size and overpainted with deep orangey red( Actually used Xtrcrylix Red Arrow red because its not right for the reds red but OK for international orange shade.

Nearly forgot to mention; the decal cheat line actaully lacks the lowermost white border to the blue stripe!!!!  So I use some of my white striping decals to fix this and needed careful planning as to where it should go which is level with the door bottoms and just reaching the fairing for the wing to fuselage join.  And... before applying the blue decal!!!!  Shame the decal people missed this out! I discovered the same problem when I built my Nordair 1/72nd Twin Otter and the was almost too late but was able to rescue the finish. But this time I remembered!!!  So, if any of you are planing to do the same subject with the same Thunderbird or Whiskey Jack versions of the decal sheet ... watchout!!

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

Both my builds paired up!

Will do a few in RFI page soon.

• Like 4

I like the look of these but especially the Nordair one, I've become quite fond of older liveries & have looked at these decals on the Thunderbird website. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to mask the white upper fuselage a little lower to provide the white lower border to the blue?

Steve.

7 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I like the look of these but especially the Nordair one, I've become quite fond of older liveries & have looked at these decals on the Thunderbird website. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to mask the white upper fuselage a little lower to provide the white lower border to the blue?

Steve.

You could but it would have to be pretty accurate... and avoid the paint 'ridge' which is why I opted for the decal method. Would love to see another in Nordair colours... different reg maybe...

• Like 1