1/48 Lindberg F-8J Crusader

This one was no precise modern kit with lots of resin & etch.  It’s a (very) old school kit with lots of toyish features - retractable undercarriage, opening canopy, removable ejector seat - but a passable overal shape.

I tried to improve the air intake, then promptly stuck a FOD cover over it.  I built up cockpit interior with plasticard and side panels, and improved the seat with plasticard and pull handles.  The canopy had a totally wrong hinge at the back to let it open, so I cut that off and added hinge extension on the side where they should be.

I did preshade  it (with a limited amount to be seen) but didn’t rescribe it.  With limited surface detail the panels didn’t really stand out and I haven’t done a final wash to bring things out.

Well this is how she looks

u4Wxe7H_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

7edR12K_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

3WtFpLW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by bar side
  • Like 19

Hi bar side,

my first reflex with a Lindberg kit would be to drop it on the porch of the nearest Oxfam or church, in a small crib... 

But no, you did build the blasted dinosaur, and it does actually look pretty much like what it is supposed to look like!

This is a clean and good looking build.

So congratulation for jumping into the deep end!

JR

Edited by jean

Cheers @jean wasn’t exactly shake the box & it falls together.  I see people complaining about tiny part fit gaps, but this one was a whole different era of build.  Always up for a challenge though.

• Like 1

It is old enough and has enough failings that it is easy to overlook  it's good points, at least  in it's pre-modified state where it really captures the sleek look of the Crusader that none of the  more modern kits seem to.  I@m hoping to get a Lindberg  f-100 and cross kit it with a monogram one, to, again really get the look of an F-100A.

• Like 1

You're a man among men. I have had that monster stashed in my work room for about ten years...I may actually give it a try now.

Very nice work, well done.      :hourglass:

• Like 1

Cheers guy - thanks for the kind coments.  @matti64 I did a Monogram f-100 out of the box a while back.  Always surprised by the size of the thing until I stood next to a real one at Flixton

puk3bcz_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f