F-105B conversion resin in 1/72?

RidgeRunner

Hi all you wise ones!

Is there, or has there been, a resin conversion for building a F-105B from a D-model? I know there was a Hasegawa twin box with a B-model but it seems to be impossible to find.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

There have been in other scales which makes you think that someone , somewhere might have offered one a sometime but so many companies have come and gone.

On the other hand I have had a set of 4th. TFW F-105B decals for a long time and a while back I started an as yet half-hearted build based on a Hasegawa F-105D kit to put them on.     By my reckoning and by comparing the parts with plans the Hasegawa kit is far enough out on its length and nose profile to suit conversion to a B with some filling and sanding around the nose and tail areas to backdate it although these are far from being the only deficiencies in a kit that dates back over 50 years.   

I have a vague recollection of somebody, maybe Airwaves, doing one but I can't be sure.

The Hasegawa F-105B was available as a single kit.

The Hasegawa 'B' actually goes for reasonable prices on E-bay. Sometimes it's boxed under "Minicraft"  There is also the old "Thunderbirds" F-105B boxing. Keep a lookout on E-bay. They do appear from time to time. It's not exactly a rare kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/169823-minicraft-hasegawa-1014-f-105b-thunderchief

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/311984-hasegawa-js-122-thunderchief

Edited by Jackman
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2018 at 4:01 PM, Wez said:

I have a vague recollection of somebody, maybe Airwaves, doing one but I can't be sure.

Actually Airwaves did a conversion but in 1/48, here is an image. In 1/72 nobody ever ventured into a vacuform or resin part, the only viable way remains grafting the nose of the jurassic Hasegawa kit onto something more modern.

AAAAA1111airwavesF-105Bnosecone.jpg

I looked at grafting the Hase B nose onto a Trumpy D and gave up as, as far as I can remember, the difference was hardly worth it when I put the fuselages side by side. Unfortunately I can't repeat as I sold the Trumpy kit.

Photos of my finished trumpy D are here in case you can pick up on the shape of the nose http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76011-f-105d-thunderchief-my-karma/

I'll also have a think about whether I'd like to part with my B if you would be interested.

On 3/3/2018 at 2:33 PM, Hook said:

Indeed:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10022790

HTH,

Andre

You live and learn. The B interests me also, and I was not aware (or had forgotten more likely) that Hasegawa did one!

Thanks Martin for starting the thread, and to others for the info/reminders!

Terry

The original Monogram kit IIRC also represented a B. Granted, it's even more fossilic than the Hase (though Hase's B fuselage may have been a decade younger than the base mould, I think it was first done for the T-Birds boxing), but Monogram had a reputation for getting things basically right, so one of the later (photo box) versions may actually be a contender for aB.

11 hours ago, tempestfan said:

The original Monogram kit IIRC also represented a B. Granted, it's even more fossilic than the Hase (though Hase's B fuselage may have been a decade younger than the base mould, I think it was first done for the T-Birds boxing), but Monogram had a reputation for getting things basically right, so one of the later (photo box) versions may actually be a contender for aB.

Is this the boxing that you are talking about?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/234286-monogram-pa33-98-f-105-thunderchief

If so, any idea how I can take a look at the kit's contents? esp the nose?

13 hours ago, Jackman said:

If so, any idea how I can take a look at the kit's contents? esp the nose?

I do not have any means of uploading images but if you pm me an e-mail address I will photograph and send you some images of the one I have which is a later boxing for an alleged Vietnam era F-105D lacking the working part options of the original issues.

Very basic , lots of rivets and a rather odd attempts at a 'D' style gun muzzle area but according to Detail & Scale No.8 on the F-105 definitely a short-nosed Thud but more likely to have been based on the YF-105B than a full production run F-105B.

17 hours ago, J.C. Bahr said:

It can be done with the nose from the Hasegawa kit and the 1980's Revell kit...

http://www.arcair.com/Gal6/5901-6000/gal5947-F-105-Bahr/00.shtm

JC,

That is a beautiful conversion! The Thud is the only airplane that the T'birds flew that I would consider modeling, and your model is a wonderful tribute- a shame the fatal accident kept the Thud from being used- what an awesome sight and sound they would have made. Glad I didn't get rid of my two Hasegawa kits! Well done!

Mike

I am going to attempt the B conversion with the Trumpeter kit.  Since I have two already.  I think the same can be done.  The Trumpeter kit is pretty good as a place to start.  I will use the Hasegawa decals from the kit markings and then everything else from my spares.     

Now to backdate the D there is a lot of removing of stuff and filling on either the Trumpeter or Monogram kits in 1/72.  I have some good drawings from Ichiro Mitsui in FAOW series which will be helpful.   

Steve

4 minutes ago, Corvi said:

I am going to attempt the B conversion with the Trumpeter kit.  Since I have two already.  I think the same can be done.  The Trumpeter kit is pretty good as a place to start.  I will use the Hasegawa decals from the kit markings and then everything else from my spares.     

Now to backdate the D there is a lot of removing of stuff and filling on either the Trumpeter or Monogram kits in 1/72.  I have some good drawings from Ichiro Mitsui in FAOW series which will be helpful.   

Steve

Good luck with that, Corvi. I intend to do the same once my first two D-models are done.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 16 March 2018 at 11:47 PM, Corvi said:

Steve

Hi Steve,

@Corvi

Did you ever finish this? I am about to start mating a Hasegawa B with a Trumpeter D. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks. 

Martin