N.A. FJ-1 Fury, Valom 1/72...Finished!!

Hi all, time for an update.

Like many of you, the fantastic recent weather has pulled us away from our benches and into some 1:1 stuff. In my case. it was building raised garden beds and a pergola...'boss lady' well chuffed.

Back to build. The last update showed the 3D printed Bendix fuel tanks that needed to be fitted to the wing tips. The tanks were marked with the wing-tip cross-section and were duly excavated. Unfortunately, in my haste, I forgot to take a photo for you chaps...too late now.

IMG_8065.jpg

The tanks were secured using 5 minute epoxy. Here is a view of the starboard tank fitted.

IMG_8066.jpg

Here we have both tanks fitted and looks very neat, if I do say so myself.

IMG_8067.jpg

And for comparison purposes, the Bendix tank left with the kit tank to the right.

Next job, is to tidy up the tank joints with a little PPPand and add a little detail to the tanks.

Stuart

• Like 4

• Courageous changed the title to N.A. FJ-1 Fury, Valom 1/72...Bendix tanks!

A little update before I pack for my holiday.

IMG_8068.jpg

Both tanks received lengths of thin copper wire. This is to represent the seams that are so noticeable on the full size tanks.

IMG_8069.jpg

And after a blast of primer we clearly see the tank seam.

I believe we're at the paint stage stage now but you'll have to wait until I'm back from my cruise.

Stuart

• Like 4

• Courageous changed the title to N.A. FJ-1 Fury, Valom 1/72...Paint on!

Hi BMers, back from the Med. and very enjoyable it was too. Like most people, their is usually a bit of work to catch up with, mainly in the garden, which has kept me away from the build but it's update time.

During the week, the FJ-1 was painted with 'Post War USN Glossy Sea Blue' (ACUS35) enamel paint by Colourcoats at a ratio of 50/50 paint/ thinners at 15psi. Started off well enough but quickly found the paint was going on thick and blobby. The paint was stripped back but unfortunately I broke one of the wing joints and had to carry out an immediate repair.

IMG_8175.jpg

IMG_8176.jpg

Wing joint repaired, primed (again) and repainted (again), this time 60/40 thinners/paint at 20psi, much better. This was allowed to dry hard overnight and here it sits after a coat Klear ready for some 'stickers'. Other bits-n-bobs were are still in the process of being painted.

One area that needed to be investigated were the wheels. The instructions call for white but to my eyes, photographs showed them more as aluminium colour, so that's what I have gone with.

Stuart

• Like 7

Hello Stuart. 

Very good job on the Fury.  Nice and tidy. .. I really enjoyed that. I Will bet for aluminium maintenant for the wheels at that time.  White came up later.  Sorry I type from my cell.  Not easy at all.  I have the book of Steve Ginter at home.  Will look sunday.  Sincerely.  CC 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I have no idea what the decals are like, i'll find out soon enough.

I'm watching with vested interest as I have one of these also!

The paint job looks really neat Stuart. The colour coats version looks to be one of the best matches I've seen.

Terry

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Having never built a Valom kit, I have no idea what the decals are like, i'll find out soon enough.

Didn't do much last night, just some little bits...and a beer.

Stuart

Good my friend. 

Models and a beer, look fine to me !

I'm in the castle of Gisors every single trace of the templars has been erased. .. Amazing ! The gothic church is in such a poor state. Going back home this evening.  Now, I must order some colourcoat Navy blue italien look really right.  Sincerely.  Cc 

• Like 1

A pity about Gisors, i'm sure you enjoyed your day out anyway. I'm recently back from cruise in the Med and one of the highlights was a visit to Herculanium, fantastic site. Better get my gear ready for tomorrows Fly Navy Airshow at Shuttleworth.

Stuart

• Like 1

• Courageous changed the title to N.A. FJ-1 Fury, Valom 1/72...Stickers going on!

Mini update.

IMG_8177.jpg

Decals going on. So what do I think so far of these decals so far? About 8 seconds in water and the slide off nicely but beware folks, as you will need to cut the file between a few of the decals; flap 'scallops', flap red bars and the letters. I found this out when I was placing the red bars and had to cut the film whilst they were wet. No hassle once I new what was going on. Decals were nice and thin, moved around well when still 'flooded' but didn't want to budge much once the excess water was gone, reacted well to Sol.

Wine has stopped further decal activity, hopefully, stickers will done tomorrow evening.

Stuart

• Like 7

Hello stuart,

Here we go, The wheels are clearly Aluminium or Dark blue, as it was very oftenly the case at the time !

All the pics came from this book

WP_20180603_13_17_47_Pro

Up there in color they are plain dark blue

But here for the bendix trophy… No paint at all

WP_20180603_13_19_16_Pro

Also worthy to note the taped gun port !

But in any case it's not white !

WP_20180603_13_18_24_Pro

Here one can see the main Wheel, look white but I'll place my bet on Chrome instead , the outside of the main Wheel still is aluminium !

WP_20180603_13_18_37_Pro

And a last one in blue !!

WP_20180603_13_19_04_Pro

So, to me, I'll bet on alu paint !

Now, it's up to you, hope that it help !

Sincerely.

CC

If anyone has a 1/48 FJ-1, let's have a deal 🤩

• Thanks 1

Well, no stickers tonight, knackered from the air show.

Thanks for the info guy.

40538480531_8c5a0edb5f_b.jpg&key=4d4c751

This image posted by Sabrejet on another thread, shows the mount I'll be doing: BuAerNo.120350/101 - 2nd Bendix Trophy (Lt Cdr EP Aurand) as I have decals. You'll notice that it has a different front wheel to the others, and according to Sabrejet, it looks like it's from a Sabre, so I've pinch one from my spares box and it will be aluminium. What about the main wheels, these look like the same 'shade' as the u/c doors...blue. The u/c also looks the same shade.

Stuart

• Like 1

Hello Stuart,

I forget this one,

WP_20180603_13_18_00_Pro

I think that I must have a recollection of the Bendix race by LCdr Aurand somewhere in my attic !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Stuart,

I forget this one,

WP_20180603_13_18_00_Pro

I think that I must have a recollection of the Bendix race by LCdr Aurand somewhere in my attic !

Sincerely.

CC

Not Bendix race: note standard tip tanks. :) Be wary of shots supposedly showing Bendix participants because often they are not!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mini update.

I noticed a little bit late that the 'S' codes decals were applied and set 5mm further outboard from where they should've been...doh. Fortunately, I had a spare set decals, and the 'S' codes were correctly set together with the rest of the decals. Now allowing to dry overnight before sealing tomorrow by which time I need to decide what colour the u/c is. 

Stuart

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Mini update.

I noticed a little bit late that the 'S' codes decals were applied and set 5mm further outboard from where they should've been...doh. Fortunately, I had a spare set decals, and the 'S' codes were correctly set together with the rest of the decals. Now allowing to dry overnight before sealing tomorrow by which time I need to decide what colour the u/c is. 

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Just realised I have D&S volume 68 in my library, and there is a good section on the FJ-1. Most text I've found and photo's show internal wheel wells and U/C as sea blue gloss, although there are some linkages which appear to be NMF.

I'll try and get some pics later.

Terry

• Thanks 1