Hillson FH40 Slip Wing Hawker Hurricane biplane

Oldone

One I would have loved to see flying a Hillson FH40 Slip Wing Hawker Hurricane biplane. So I thought I would try my hand at making one using 2 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk1.

This is what I've done up to now. Filling in with bolsa wood and Plastic putty.Waiting for it dry to put a coat of flat base on.

a22d3e8a-273d-4851-b5c2-c1a8a6acffbb.jpgeea4a292-e15b-4bda-8b56-bd31ccd988c4.jpg1afed889-e638-48e8-996e-efd7897b5ec3.jpg12fd52be-9f9f-4b5e-9bfc-47d835eb7811.jpgba16114b-2881-4843-b002-e773159fbb74.jpg

• Like 5

A bit more done.Stuts made useing 1.5mm square bolsa wood and marking and drilling number 2 drill for them. I did a dry build to see how it looked. A couple of photo's to see what you think.I know they seem abit high, but would have to have been if the top wing was ejected to miss the tail fin.

40739f5c-e1b5-4dd4-ab79-82bed05791f1.jpg

30d13b07-eedb-468b-8af7-0a3aad428012.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Nice conversion. Hate to say it, but it is way too high. If you fit the aerial the trailing edge is level with that. 

Rich

Edited by rio

I've never seen one of these built so will drop in from time to time.

I agree with @rio the wing is too high.

Have you seen this?  Scroll down for Hurricane

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/448/Biplane-Hurricane.aspx

• Thanks 1

Do you mind if I drop in too? I’m another that’s never seen one built, but I have a vague memory of a conversion in an old Airfix Magazine using the original Airfix generic Hurricane.

Trevor

I’ll watch this one! 🍿🥤

On the question of wing height I would have thought that as it was released lift would take it up and back, thus clearing the fin?

Edited by GordonM

4 hours ago, Oldone said:

A bit more done.Stuts made useing 1.5mm square bolsa wood and marking and drilling number 2 drill for them. I did a dry build to see how it looked. A couple of photo's to see what you think.I know they seem abit high, but would have to have been if the top wing was ejected to miss the tail fin.

40739f5c-e1b5-4dd4-ab79-82bed05791f1.jpg

30d13b07-eedb-468b-8af7-0a3aad428012.jpg

Thanks for looking.

HurricaneBiplane28.jpg

I think the balsa is way to  thick,  and note the 'N' is the other way round.

I'd suggest something thinnner and stronger,  perhaps thin metal rod filed/scraped to an aerofoil section? 

There used to be generic strut material available, Contrail?  perhaps others will know. 

Or, some evergreen strip or some thin hardwood,  I don't think balsa that is thin  enough will have enough strength.

FWIW,  the plane is metal winged,  and the Airfix kit  has a fabric wing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I think the balsa is way to  thick,  and note the 'N' is the other way round.

I'd suggest something thinnner and stronger,  perhaps thin metal rod filed/scraped to an aerofoil section? 

There used to be generic strut material available, Contrail?  perhaps others will know. 

Or, some evergreen strip or some thin hardwood,  I don't think balsa that is thin  enough will have enough strength.

FWIW,  the plane is metal winged,  and the Airfix kit  has a fabric wing

Hi Troy Smith. Yes you are right the N is the other way round. I've had The wingsa look round here for metal rod and cannot find any thin enought, and I dont fancy joining metal.The wife is into Dolls House's So I have used 1.5mm Round wood she had. The wings Will be filled and filled and made to look like metal wings. I read before that the sent a Mk1 over to be converted, so I got 2 Mk1s only to find out they used metal wings. So a bit more work for me.

17 hours ago, rio said:

Nice conversion. Hate to say it, but it is way too high. If you fit the aerial the trailing edge is level with that. 

Rich

Hi Rio. Will put a better photo on so you can see that with the aerial mast on it seems ok to me. I could be wrong tho.

Would like to say thanks to those watching and to those that are helping with there advice. A photo of the Wood strut I used  ( from the wifes dools house wood she uses, Not told her yet ).Will look and she if I can finf any thing better . I can always redo the struts at a later day.

0141885b-f092-42ed-ab34-40b7001ab8df.jpg

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm always willing to learn

• Like 1

A bit more done to the Hurricane. Underside painted with a coat of Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Greem and the a light coat of Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow, for the camoufage again Tamiya XF-50 Field Blue and XF-81 Dark Green. I dont know if they are the right colour, but look about right by me.

8eed41d9-78ac-44db-b3e6-acf4ce1c65aa.jpg

0bd616a7-4b03-41f8-ba39-5cdddd77e639.jpg

7aab903c-13f0-45fd-987e-3de8c1230355.jpg

Thanks for looking, willing for any advice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oldone said:

for the camoufage again Tamiya XF-50 Field Blue and XF-81 Dark Green. I dont know if they are the right colour, but look about right by me.

XF-81 is right, RAF Dark Green,.  XF-50 isn't, Tamiya did some specific RAF paints when they did their 1/32nd Spitfire,  XF-81,  and the greys XF-82 and XF-83,  

XF-82 is what you want, Ocean Grey.

The red spinner adds some colour but I suspect one of the camo colours is more likely.  A look at the link shows a colourised Image with a red spinner,  but looking at the B/W images Dark Green looks more likely. 

Red spinners were a theatre marking in the Mediterranean,  but it's your model.

HTH

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

F-81 is right, RAF Dark Green,.  XF-50 isn't, Tamiya did some specific RAF paints when they did their 1/32nd Spitfire,  XF-81,  and the greys XF-82 and XF-83,  

XF-82 is what you want, Ocean Grey

A bit more painting to be done and changed then.

Thank you for your help, will get that sorted.

Have sorted the paint  XF-50 repainted to XF-82 and the red spinner, change to XF-81. It doeslook better now. Thank you Troy Smith for you help.

4d2821df-67a5-488a-9ca0-02263397d0ef.jpg

14d208ab-66a3-4af2-8f70-1b5fb2263d1b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The red spinner adds some colour but I suspect one of the camo colours is more likely.  A look at the link shows a colourised Image with a red spinner,  but looking at the B/W images Dark Green looks more likely. 

I'm currently sitting in a pub in Birmingham, a long way from my references, but I think the spinner would be black (although the spinner in the photograph appears to match the dark green).

*heads off to do some research, over a second pint of mild.*

• Like 1

Some 'research' done, whilst drinking a second pint, none of which proves or disproves Troy's opinion regarding the colour of the spinner.

This isn't about the aircraft you're modelling (and doesn't mention spinners) but has some interesting stuff:

I'm not sure this photograph helps either:

fh40-6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beard said:

Some 'research' done, whilst drinking a second pint, none of which proves or disproves Troy's opinion regarding the colour of the spinner.

This isn't about the aircraft you're modelling (and doesn't mention spinners) but has some interesting stuff:

I'm not sure this photograph helps either:

fh40-6.jpg

I Think I will leave it just as it is.I dare say we will never really know and if I do ever find the ans I can always repaint the spinner  the right colour.

Hope you enjoyed your second pint

• Like 1

Check this for a colour version of the photo.

www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/448/Biplane-Hurricane.asp

Rich

On 02/03/2018 at 18:51, Scimitar said:

I've never seen one of these built so will drop in from time to time.

I agree with @rio the wing is too high.

Have you seen this?  Scroll down for Hurricane

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/448/Biplane-Hurricane.aspx

7 hours ago, rio said:

Check this for a colour version of the photo.

www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/448/Biplane-Hurricane.asp

Rich

note link posted above.   The image is colourised version of the  B/W image posted in the thread.

fh40-6.jpg

In the B/W image the spinner is a  tonal match for the Dark Green and the roundel Red,   the standard colour would be black.

A red spinner would be most unusual.  I can't see any reference in the article to it being red apart from  the colourised image,  though perhaps there is a note somewhere.

the Spitfire XIII prototype has a non black spinner

spitfire-mk-xii.jpg

I'll have to have a browse of  more prototype photos later

• Like 1

Will have another look through my Hurricane refs, sure i saw somewhere about it being red. Was also the colour quoted on the conversion kit.

Rich